Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:13 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
That incident was a completely heinous and unacceptable act. While unforgiveable, it occurred in an isolated region of a country that was very much in turmoil whose acts were perpertrated by a few evil men. What I am talking about is a pattern that has existed for over 1400 years in the entire Middle Eastern region accomplished by thousands, if not millions of Muslims.

The Middle East is almost devoid of Christians even though Christians were the vast majority before Muhammed's time.
And how did Christians become the vast majority in the Middle East and Europe?

here is a hint Massacre of Verden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and others like it across the contenent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,631,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Oh, right then, nevermind. Just give me a moment to lift the corner of the carpet so that you can sweep that gigantic lump of shame back under it.

Wait...weren't you the one that said "What I am talking about is a pattern that has existed for over 1400 years in the entire Middle Eastern region accomplished by thousands, if not millions of Muslims."

Hey, I thought you were talking about TODAY in the modern world, not 1400 years ago.
What I am talking about is not isolated areas and times, but rather a pattern of intolerance that started 1400 years ago and is STILL going on today, the result of which, is almost the complete emptying of Christianity out of the Middle East.

I have no idea if YOU should be ashamed, but these persecutions that are occurring in Iraq are part of a large pattern in that region for a very long time. The bottom line, tolerance is not and has not been for a very long time, a virtue of the Muslim Middle East. That is not a blanket statement on everyone everywhere in that region, but pretty close. The Egyptians, the Lebanese, and possibly the Syrians have been a bit more tolerant.

Last edited by juj; 02-13-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM

810 posts, read 1,436,831 times
I believe that true Christians don't engage in warfare. Didn't Jesus say his followers would have love (for each other and their enemies) and unity.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,002 times
Quote:
What I am talking about is not isolated areas and times, but rather a pattern of intolerance that started 1400 years ago and is STILL going on today, the result of which, is almost the complete emptying of Christianity out of the Middle East.

I have no idea if YOU should be ashamed, but these persecutions that are occurring in Iraq are part of a large pattern in that region for a very long time. The bottom line, tolerance is not and has not been for a very long time, a virtue of the Muslim Middle East. That is not a blanket statement on everyone everywhere in that region, but pretty close. The Egyptians, the Lebanese, and possibly the Syrians have been a bit more tolerant.
Going on since 1400 yrs ago? Hmm...you're definately not a student of Middle-eastern history

Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carico View Post
Muslims don't even tolerate each other! When they aren't killing Jews, they start killing others who don't agree with their religion. Then when they are prevented from killing them, they start killing each other! They simply become anxious when they are at peace for a few moments.
From my side of the fence it sounds just like Christians. The best answer for both sides is a good secular government without religion being involved. Might hurt a few of the stop and pray businesses, but would in time sure save a lot of lives.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:17 AM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,631,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
From my side of the fence it sounds just like Christians. The best answer for both sides is a good secular government without religion being involved. Might hurt a few of the stop and pray businesses, but would in time sure save a lot of lives.
To play devils advocate, maybe it's not Islam but the Arab culture. But having said that, it means that Islam is not a strong enough religion to have an softening effect on Arab behavior.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:22 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,596 times
Quote:
Yes, there were Christians that converted. That's pretty obvious. But how many were persecuted until they relented? How many were killed? How many were run off? How many stayed until they could take no more or couldn't get a job? No country's population goes from 95% to 1% because they ALL converted by their freewill. That idea is completely ludicrous.
Well, golly, it worked for the 15th century Christian Church...

Old 02-14-2009, 09:24 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,596 times
Quote:
Well, the Muslims are slow at that sort of thing. It only took the Christians a couple hundred years to effect "almost the complete emptying" of indigenous religions from North America.
Not that I'm condoning either. From where I sit, all Abrahamic religions look pretty creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality