U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 AM

9,616 posts, read 11,098,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
And when it "rains cats and dogs" the speaker really means poodles and siamese cats are falling out of the sky?

Never occurred to you that it was a figure of speech? Do you not think that if the Bible was just concocted by people that someone would have noticed that obvious error?

Really....use your imagination and come up with something better. You embarrass yourself with this nonsense.

Really? We embarrass ourselves? with nonsense? A-frickin'-may-Zinggggg!

You, of that beknighted group who defends the absolute theatrical interpretation of, say, The Ark fable as being absolutely true? Of vegan T-Rexs cohabitating with happy Neanderthals?

Many atheists here have argued that the bible was always intended as allegory, but NNnnooooooohhhhh!

"It's All The Inerrant Word Of God"

If he said Adam and Eve were a nice Caucasian couple with a fully developed language, morals and behaviors, were the absolute progenitors af ALL humanoid life on this planet, despite the tens of thousands of transitional humanoid fossils we've found that transform in obvious and visible ways from a sloped simian forrehead and four-legged walking skeleton to our current morphology.... well, that MUST be the truth then, righty-ho!

All the proven and documented discoveries of modern science (which, BTW, also just plain make sense...) are tossed on the scrap heap of nonsense because of The Inerrant Word of God? As provided in that allegorical bible?

Which is it, guys and girls of God? Mythic interpretation or intransigent belief system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
en contrare (did I spell that right?)--
There is a large group of people who believe that the bible is the inerrent word of god. If this is the case, then there can be NO mistakes. Perhaps the word "eat" could have been mistranslated, but if we are to believe the bible exactly as written, then it has a lot of absurdities in it. This is just one of many.

Right on, dcashley! Inerrant! And well-said to boot! (Oh, BTW, it's "aux contrare" but then I grew up in Kanada. We're by-lyn-gyo-Ahl, non?))

(then, various "delicious" examples are well provided; read 'em again for yourself above...).

So, the bible cannot be inerrent. It has internal contradictions and absurdities everywhere. OK...so can it be interpreted? That is, in a consistent and stable way?

Not if you want to keep your head, dc! There have always been special prisons for un-believers!

more fine examples from you..... but finally.....

There is no way to consistently intreprepret these passages...and this is just one that I thought of off the top of my head.
]
But then cometh the Cavalry! Tar-ahn, tar-ahn!

Quote:
I do believe that it is the inspired word of God, and that it is inerrant. But also believe that God allowed the men that wrote it to use their own language.

Nobody argues when I say the sun "rose" this morning. In truth, the earth rotated and the sun became visible. It's a figure of speech.

So, let me understand this... when the inerrant bible says that "Jesus walked on water" we should think....??? (he then answers...)

We must "interpret" it to figure out what it meant in the context that it was written. The passages in question were written thousands of years ago in a different culture, from a different perspective. That'll affect things. Not every culture in every time frame will be able to read it and understand it the same way. To a person 4000 years ago I'm sure it meant something different.

We need to understand it in light of what the original author meant.
We do indeed, kd! I appreciate your honesty. At last!

The intent of Christianity, what was intended in the various interpretations of the bible, is multi-fold:

1. To try to explain the inexplicable events of the day (thunder, lightning, pestilence, disease, the occasional flood);

2. To develop and then maintain absolute control, through terror and fear-mongering, of as large a group of the peasantry as possible.

3. To fiscally support the lifestyles of the various nascent religious organizations who realized the vast opportunities and wealth to be had, and so easily!

Always on the backs of the illiterate. Evident even to this day, though the scope and depth of that illiteracy has shifted. Yes, most N. American & Euro-folk can read and write and watch The Hour of Power, or The Crystal Cathedral, but their abilities to think sceptically, or to branch off intellectually on their own, are obviously "open to interpretation".

This is just my "interpretation" mind you. I'm not a God, after all; just made in his image.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:24 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,921,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Really? We embarrass ourselves? with nonsense? A-frickin'-may-Zinggggg!

Yah. You do.

Quote:

You, of that beknighted group who defends the absolute theatrical interpretation of, say, The Ark fable as being absolutely true? Of vegan T-Rexs cohabitating with happy Neanderthals?
Quote:

Vegan T-Rexs cohabitating with happy Neanderthals huh?

LOL... That's a new one. Sorry...I don't recall "defending" that one.
Quote:

Many atheists here have argued that the bible was always intended as allegory, but NNnnooooooohhhhh!

"It's All The Inerrant Word Of God"

Nope. No allegory.
Quote:

If he said Adam and Eve were a nice Caucasian couple with a fully developed language, morals and behaviors, were the absolute progenitors af ALL humanoid life on this planet, despite the tens of thousands of transitional humanoid fossils we've found that transform in obvious and visible ways from a sloped simian forrehead and four-legged walking skeleton to our current morphology.... well, that MUST be the truth then, righty-ho!

No....they likely weren't a caucasian couple....but honestly, I don't know that it matters.

It is interesting that scientists today are suggesting that all life on earth descended from a common set of ancestors relatively recently.

As for your "thousands of transitional fossils"? I know of a lot of hoaxes, like Lucy, Nebraska Man, etc. Most of the fossils I've seen are either hoaxes, or apes.
Quote:

All the proven and documented discoveries of modern science (which, BTW, also just plain make sense...) are tossed on the scrap heap of nonsense because of The Inerrant Word of God? As provided in that allegorical bible?

Which is it, guys and girls of God? Mythic interpretation or intransigent belief system?

I have yet to see modern science come up with anything that disproves the Bible.
Quote:

We do indeed, kd! I appreciate your honesty. At last!

"at last"? I've never suggested that understand the Bible in context wasn't important.

Quote:

The intent of Christianity, what was intended in the various interpretations of the bible, is multi-fold:

1. To try to explain the inexplicable events of the day (thunder, lightning, pestilence, disease, the occasional flood);

2. To develop and then maintain absolute control, through terror and fear-mongering, of as large a group of the peasantry as possible.

3. To fiscally support the lifestyles of the various nascent religious organizations who realized the vast opportunities and wealth to be had, and so easily!

And you are able to read the minds a
nd motives of people from 2000 years ago? That's nice.

Quote:
Always on the backs of the illiterate. Evident even to this day, though the scope and depth of that illiteracy has shifted. Yes, most N. American & Euro-folk can read and write and watch The Hour of Power, or The Crystal Cathedral, but their abilities to think sceptically, or to branch off intellectually on their own, are obviously "open to interpretation".

This is just my "interpretation" mind you. I'm not a God, after all; just made in his image.

That's what's really getting to you, isn't it? knucklehead televangelists that make all Christianity look bad are your examples of Christianity?

Please. Robert Schuler is a joke--and most of Christianity dislikes him as much as do.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,061,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You've collected your mental faculties to the extent that you can operate a computer and compose text that is published to the entire world on the Internet, yet you still believe in the literal truth of the stories found in the Bible. The more I encounter this among present-day Americans, the more difficult I find it to believe.
The only answer has to be brain washing group think paired with great promises such as an eternal afterlife. Scripture and cliché "believe and receive" are drilled into their heads. Many but not all born agains were in a bad place before finding God. Who wouldn't want to feel better?

I know I couldn't wake up one day and believe, "Gays are committing sin" or "abortion is sin" "using birth control is a sin." or say,"I refuse to vote for politicians who allow these sins to continue even though I agree with their other ideas" Being that narrow minded would complicate my life. I could never be so arrogant to tell others they are going to hell because their beliefs were wrong! Maybe that's why the born agains worry so much about outside forces influencing their children. Once a kid stops believing in Santa, you're going to have a hard time having them believe in the talking snake in "The Bible"

Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,580,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Yes the Skeptic's Annotated Bible...woooooo...really scared

Cain's wife was his sister.
but it could have been that other people also existed and that it wasn't his sister.

But in any case you would have thought that God would have known that having such close relations with one's sister would have offspring that were not quite as intelligent, etc. and that he would have then created more than one man and one woman. Oh, well, i know that you will say that being perfect human beings their offspring would not have been inbred as we know it today.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Boy would I love to have the franchise for Prep H in that town. Not really surprised to see a hemorrhoid problem. The Christian religion has been a pain in that body area for at least the last 2000 years.
Oh the irony!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,730,898 times
Quote:
I have yet to see modern science come up with anything that disproves the Bible.
Snakes don't eat dust.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
And when it "rains cats and dogs" the speaker really means poodles and siamese cats are falling out of the sky?

Never occurred to you that it was a figure of speech? Do you not think that if the Bible was just concocted by people that someone would have noticed that obvious error?

Really....use your imagination and come up with something better. You embarrass yourself with this nonsense.
Speaking of embarrassment, tell us the truth about the talking snake.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 03-11-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 01:43 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,275,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
They may have thought that, but they didn't get it from the bible. Big difference. Just like today, some things we believe today will be proven to be wrong tomorrow. Has nothing to do with God's Word.

Just as they thought the earth was flat, although the bible refers to the sphere of the earth... guess they didn't pay much attention back then... kind of like a lot of so called Christians today.

Oh I quite agree. I never mentioned the Bible It was just a general statement.

Originally Posted by kdbrich

You can't make human females from the rib of a human male (Adam and Even story in Genesis)

Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,825,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Reading this, the thought suddenly occurred to me...that's quite a trinity, if I may put it in those words.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,595,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Reading this, the thought suddenly occurred to me...that's quite a trinity, if I may put it in those words.

what? suddenly?

Last edited by effie g-tad; 03-11-2009 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: y-our guardian angels' warning system has been defunct for quite some time or so it may appear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or