Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,048,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
But I thought God's laws never changed. The people in the OT sure did a lot of things that we can't do today. Do you know you can get killed for not observing the sabbath in the OT?

Those laws were given to a specific group of people at a specific time. Keep in mind that Abraham, the first Jew, did not have the Law to live by. The Law didn't come along until about 400 years later.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:39 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,316,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Those laws were given to a specific group of people at a specific time. Keep in mind that Abraham, the first Jew, did not have the Law to live by. The Law didn't come along until about 400 years later.
Then since laws change, even the NT can change.

But you didn't look over the inconsistences and explain them to me. For example why are there two different accounts of Judas' death and contradict each other? If the Bible is all true, then how can both be true?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Then since laws change, even the NT can change.

But you didn't look over the inconsistences and explain them to me. For example why are there two different accounts of Judas' death and contradict each other? If the Bible is all true, then how can both be true?

Actually...I did address the death of Judas.

One says he hung...another says he fell and "burst open". I have no problem with the idea of him hanging himself on the side of a hill, with the branch breaking..or perhaps he fell or was ravaged by wild animals--falling down and "bursting open". It's possible for both passages to be accurate.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,883,122 times
Wink No no! I meant.... I mean.... oh dang it! Caught again!

Quote:
Actually...I did address the death of Judas.

One says he hung...another says he fell and "burst open". I have no problem with the idea of him hanging himself on the side of a hill, with the branch breaking..or perhaps he fell or was ravaged by wild animals--falling down and "bursting open". It's possible for both passages to be accurate.
kd, on a professional level are you by chance in The Creative & Interpretive Arts?

Are we, then, to constantly "interpret" your bible in the context of the moment? If we need "this" point highlighted, we'll say Jesus meant "such and such".

Alternately, if we need "that" point highlighted, why then we'll say Jesus really meant "so and so".

How convenient. And strategically useful. It's no wonder you dislike the semi-absolute statements of scientists!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
kd, on a professional level are you by chance in The Creative & Interpretive Arts?

Are we, then, to constantly "interpret" your bible in the context of the moment? If we need "this" point highlighted, we'll say Jesus meant "such and such".

Alternately, if we need "that" point highlighted, why then we'll say Jesus really meant "so and so".

How convenient. And strategically useful. It's no wonder you dislike the semi-absolute statements of scientists!

I could probably suggest the same about you. You're willing to overlook the holes in evolution, but want to attack the smallest inconsistencies in Scripture.

Whatever.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 AM

998 posts, read 1,330,111 times
In light of the above topic - straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak) :

"There is some irony in the fact that the supposedly best, brightest, and most idealistic of ministers-to-be are selected for the very best seminary education, e.g. that offered at that time at the Harvard Divinity School. The irony is that, given such an education, the seminarian is exposed to...much...historical truth. ..As such, it is no real wonder that almost a majority of such seminary graduates leave seminary, not to "fill pulpits", where they would be asked to preach that which they know is not true, but to enter the various counseling professions. Such was also the case for me, as I went on to earn a master's and doctorate in clinical psychology"

~~Dr Jerald F Dirks (M Div,Psy.D) is a former minister (deacon) of the United Methodist Church. He holds a Master's degree in Divinity from Harvard University and a Doctorate in Psychology from the University of Denver. He is the author of "The Cross And The Crescent: An Interfaith Dialogue Between Christianity And Islam" (2001), and "Abraham: The Friend of God" (2002). He has published over 60 articles in the field of clinical psychology, and over 150 articles on Arabian Horses. He accepted Islam in 1993. God indeed moves in mysterious ways....

Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,444,754 times
Quote:
I could probably suggest the same about you. You're willing to overlook the holes in evolution, but want to attack the smallest inconsistencies in Scripture.

Whatever.

There are "holes" also in the theory of gravity. Does that shake your confidence in science and physics?

A reasonable point of view would be to look at the the successes (correspondences to known related facts, validity of predictions, etc.) of a given scientific theory versus its "holes". Evolution as a scientific theory does quite well under that point of view.

Just looking at the massive amount of evidence in nature regarding "evidence of common descent" (comparative anatomy) makes it very reasonable to infer that an evolutionary process is at work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

Last edited by ParkTwain; 03-13-2009 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,857,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

He gave you a legitimate answer. Your choice to reject it is just that, your choice.

Doesn't make the answer given any less true....or false for that matter. (But I totally agree with kdbirch on that issue.)

Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
There are "holes" also in the theory of gravity. Does that shake your confidence in science and physics?

A reasonable point of view would be to look at the the successes (correspondences to known related facts, validity of predictions, etc.) of a given scientific theory versus its "holes". Evolution as a scientific theory does quite well under that point of view.

Just looking at the massive amount of evidence in nature regarding "evidence of common descent" (comparative anatomy) makes it very reasonable to infer that an evolutionary process is at work.
Evidence of common descent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The link you've provided surveys a range of categories...but doesn't go really deep into any. Basically though, you are suggesting that because of common attributes, or common design you think one evolved from another.

Ok...I get it. I could use the same evidence and suggest that God designed it all to be similar because, after all...they all have the same general design features.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,444,754 times
Quote:
The link you've provided surveys a range of categories...but doesn't go really deep into any. Basically though, you are suggesting that because of common attributes, or common design you think one evolved from another.

Ok...I get it. I could use the same evidence and suggest that God designed it all to be similar because, after all...they all have the same general design features.

You mean, similar design with differences that indicate certain functional distinctions. You can call it God, or you can call it a "force." You can't dispute that the differences and commonalities are there, and you can't dispute that the evidence of the existences of the development of those differences extend over long reaches of time. So you are free to believe that God directly made these changes happen to create various species. But it ISN'T reasonable to believe, based on the evidence that scientists have collected for going on hundreds of years, that all these variations from common designs existed at the SAME TIME. The preponderance of the scientific evidence is not consistent with that point of view.

That link is to an article that is intended to serve as a "survey" of that topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality