Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:27 PM

314 posts, read 1,036,750 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting topic I've thought about. Atheists believe everything in the world just came about and Christians rebut that by saying "well somebody had to make something as complex of the universe. it couldn't have just came about"

So that leads me to this question.

If the main explanation for the existence of God is that there has to have been a creator of something so complex, then who made God?;the all knowing creator of everything is much more complex than the universe.

And the Christian response is always "God just came about/ has always existed"

Well thats exactly what atheists are saying about the universe, and if indeed God "just came about" then its not much of a stretch from that to think that the universe "just came about"

Seems like both are saying the same thing, except the Christian idea has an extra step in it.

Would it be disrespectful as a Cristian to believe that God was created by an unknown creator? Either way it seems like an ongoing cycle that gives the atheist view a leg up as for as making more sense.

Politely discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
I wish you well--this is a good topic but too deep for me.

My short answer would be 'Time' and I lack the mental capacity to explain further.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:33 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
God told Moses in Exodus 4:14 I am that I am. Revelation 22:13 " I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and last, the beginning and the end".
God has always been and will always be.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
This poem describes exactly what I believe.

"Back then, there was no existence or nonexistence. There was no luminic region, or the space that lies beyond. What existed then? Where? Sheltered by what? What substance lieth there, deep and unfathomable?

There was no death or inmortality. There was no distinction between night and day. THAT breathed without air, by itself. There wasn't anything else beyond.

In the beginning there was darkness hidden in darkness. Everything was substance without distinction. THAT, what was covered by void emerged by the heat generated by itself.

In the beginning, desire, the first seed of the mind, emerged in THAT. The sages, researching within their hearts with wisdom, found the bondage of existence in non existence.

Their visions reached the deepest. What lieth below? What lieht above? Causality existed; there were powers: descending forces and creative impulses.

Who knows the truth? Who can give an answer about the origin of birth, about the origin of creation? Gods came after this world appeared. Who then knows where it came from?

Where this creation came from? was it created by itself or not? Who contemplates it from the most elevated space certainly knows, or perhaps not.

Rig-Veda X.129.1-7 "

Old 02-01-2009, 05:22 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Strange you should bring this topic up....Your namesake Socrates lived during a time when the Athenian democracy was unstable, and when Greek thinkers were beginning to doubt the validity of their Greek mythology....There seem to be some parallels today.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Strange you should bring this topic up....Your namesake Socrates lived during a time when the Athenian democracy was unstable, and when Greek thinkers were beginning to doubt the validity of their Greek mythology....There seem to be some parallels today.
I don't think it is strange that he/she brought it up. This seems to be an obsession with many people.

Questioning is not wrong, I believe that.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
This is an interesting topic I've thought about. Atheists believe everything in the world just came about
I find that to be an interesting paradox, since science is all about saying things don't "just happen" but there's a reason it happens, ie the tides happen because of the moon's pull, the sky is blue because of the refraction of light in a certain way, etc etc. hmmm

Quote:
If the main explanation for the existence of God is that there has to have been a creator of something so complex, then who made God?;the all knowing creator of everything is much more complex than the universe.
? God is the creator of ALL things. By definition then he has no creator. He has always been. (or so theists believe, I guess I should add - ie not trying to "preach" here)

Quote:
Well thats exactly what atheists are saying about the universe, and if indeed God "just came about" then its not much of a stretch from that to think that the universe "just came about"
Again, Christians don't believe God "just came about" but rather that He has always existed. But really anything - even God - having no beginning and always existing is something well beyond our comprehension.

Quote:
Would it be disrespectful as a Cristian to believe that God was created by an unknown creator?
No, just wrong. ie that is not what Christians believe.

Quote:
Either way it seems like an ongoing cycle that gives the atheist view a leg up as for as making more sense.
Hardly. (IMO) But it is an interesting line of discussion...

Old 02-02-2009, 01:12 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I do not think that I know what I do not know.
Socrates

Old 02-02-2009, 04:18 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
God was created by humans, God either born via religion or defined as something else. In my case, and i don't call it god, it's a natural process/energy/sun, whatever it might be.
To have god that created everything, something must have created god. But, as you say, it's always existed, out of time, out of space, out of mind.... The funniest thing is, god of religion is always referred to as He/She, always with some "human" attribute. In this case, it must have been created by something else. Otherwise, you will be kidding yourselves on believing that He/She has always been...

Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
socates wrote:
Quote:
Would it be disrespectful as a Cristian to believe that God was created by an unknown creator?
This question doesn't answer the question about the origins of God, it just opens the door to another question. When you even bring up something like this it's only natural that someone is going to ask you where this unknown creator came from and what exactly is the nature of it's existence. That's the very same question that many of us ask about God in the first place and you can't dodge that question by inventing an unknown creator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality