U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 AM

598 posts, read 811,765 times

Advertisements

No, religions are bad ... I have nothing to do with religions; I am an atheist.

No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:47 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,399,112 times
Dear agnostic soldier,

The atheist master race...

"The difference between how a believer and nonbeliever form their morals is that believers don't know how to discern the difference between right and wrong."

OK. Nancy Pelosi claims to be a "devout" Catholic BELIEVER. She enthusiastically endorses homosexual rights and abortion on demand. Do people like her fail to discern what is right about these and other topics...or is it only the topics that YOU happen to agree with and that YOU see as right/proper? In other words, everyone agreeing with you is right, everyone disagreeing is wrong.

"They just blindly follow whatever they think god says is right or wrong. They think that something is only right or wrong if god says it's right or wrong, it doesn't matter if it actually is right or wrong. It's as if they are tiny babies who need an authority figure to give them a list of moral prescriptions to follow, otherwise they would just be causing havoc and mayhem. They are unable to understand that their morals are merely value judgements rather than something objective which everyone should abide by."

Please refer to the aforementioned Nancy Pelosi example.

"Atheists on the other hand, believe in the facts, therefore know the difference between right and wrong and are able to form morals based on rational thought."

You know, it's good that people such as you get out here in these forums and blogs so that all can see the abject absurdity and biased hatred illustrated in your viewpoints.

Agnosticism as a method says that we should withhold certainty when we lack what logically justifies certainty. Yet, the word literally means "without knowledge." It shares the root of the words "ignorance" and "ignoring" - the terms that best describe your assertions.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
In the OP, you posited that all people are religious. Now you admit there are non-religious people. Is the debate now settled since you agree that not all people are religious?
In my OP I ask the question: Can it be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?

In other words, due to the obvious similarities that we all have in the way we approach our world views, what would differentiate the atheistic approach from the theistic approach?

Is the debate settled? Judging from past assertions, you seem to be of the opinion that it is - so why would you continue posting?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,381,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
In my OP I ask the question: Can it be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?

In other words, due to the obvious similarities that we all have in the way we approach our world views, what would differentiate the atheistic approach from the theistic approach?

Is the debate settled? Judging from past assertions, you seem to be of the opinion that it is - so why would you continue posting?
"In other words" doesn't fit there. The first question is not the same as the second question. We have come to a consensus that not all people are religious, which answers the question of the OP "are we all religious?"

Now, if you want to change the topic to "what would differentiate the atheistic approach from the theistic approach?" then maybe the debate is not yet over.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:02 AM

812 posts, read 2,082,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
No, religions are bad ... I have nothing to do with religions; I am an atheist.

No thanks.
religions are bad because they are inherently dishonest. they make claims and opinions as fact when they are not a fact.

for instance, religion tends to assume it has the monopoly on morality when morality is a universal concept. it's just inherent in nature derived from the basic law of self-preservation, hence empathy and awareness of the survival instinct in all. we are all in this together trying to survive, the need to be safe, to be healthy etc. so killing is a sin, stealing is a sin etc etc. real morality has no religious affiliation, it's a charade because you do not have to be religious in order to be moral. you do not have to affiliate with any organization in order to learn spirituality. you can learn it just by living, breathing and asking your own questions and observing life yourself.

so religion artificially creates an imaginary dividing line that excludes those outside of their religion and projects further imaginary judgements believing they will go to hell, they are not as worthy, possibly more evil or guilty etc etc etc.

it's easy to see how this can easily cause lies and confusion.

but religion did serve it's purpose, though very imperfectly *cough*, in a more ignorant time in order to keep people from being total barbarians and keep some semblance of society.

what was beneficial at one time can be detrimental in another. it's time for religion to go the way of the dinosaur and be recognized for what it is.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:46 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,244,460 times
Quote:
Everyone has a world view.

All world views require faith.

Can it then be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?
I'm sure this has been responded to well enough. But no, faith that the sun will rise tomorrow does not constitute a religion.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
If you want to change the topic to "what would differentiate the atheistic approach from the theistic approach?" then maybe the debate is not yet over.

You're trying to tell me what the intent of, or what I meant to ask in my OP.
If you insist on playing mind reader, fine, have at it.

If the above question suits you, go with it.

Please tell me what it is that differentiates the theistic approach from the atheistic approach?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm sure this has been responded to well enough. But no, faith that the sun will rise tomorrow does not constitute a religion.

Same question to you:

What differentiates the atheistic approach from the theistic approach?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM

30,042 posts, read 30,739,325 times
Quote:
You're trying to tell me what the intent of, or what I meant to ask in my OP.
If you insist on playing mind reader, fine, have at it.

If the above question suits you, go with it.

Please tell me what it is that differentiates the theistic approach from the atheistic approach?
Logic vs Myth?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Logic vs Myth?
Theist = Logic

Atheist = Myth

Is that your assertion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or