U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,399,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You're missing a key point. I wouldn't attempt to prove that something that isn't here, isn't here. That's so redundant and rightly so. It wouldn't dawn on me to do so. The way your posts are reading, you think it's a common undertaking and I'm not sure why.

Do I believe in truth? hmmm. I guess it depends. Truth about what?

I abide by honesty. I don't know if I'd call it a belief though. I'll have to think on that.

I have been asserting the subject of a transcendent eternal being which thing you refer to as "something that doesn't exist." You're purposely fleeing to the semantics game because you refuse to "abide by honesty."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 08:06 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,258,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Evidence for or against is in the eye of the beholder. The theist asserts proof. The atheist asserts proof.

Could we agree to a level playing field? In view of a supposed lack of undeniable empirical proof for either, FAITH must fill in that area which cannot be empirically proven?
No, the atheist does not assert proof. This is where you're confused.
Tiget, I think there's more to the discussion than your two perceived sides of the argument.

For example, just becaue I don't love you, doesn't mean I hate you. I simply don't consider you (obviously, because I don't know you). I think that's fairly clear to understand. It's no different with the theism/atheism argument for many weak atheists.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I have been asserting the subject of a transcendent eternal being which thing you refer to as "something that doesn't exist." You're purposely fleeing to the semantics game because you refuse to "abide by honesty."
I'm not playing semantic games. I'm just being honest with you. You want to make this far more complicated than it actually is. Why? Because this is about your theism, nothing more...nothing more because atheism amounts to a whole lot of nothing in the way of faith/belief.

You can assert until the cows come home, for example, that a beautiful blue box, one that you covet deeply, is sitting next to me in my room. And that I should covet it as well. All I can say is that I don't see a box. I'm not sure what you're talking about but, if it makes you happy to love this box, have at it. I have no intent to prove that a box that I don't see isn't sitting next to me. I'm not worried about it. You are.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
No, the atheist does not assert proof. This is where you're confused.

Semantics again. The atheist asserts evidence. The theist asserts evidence.

Same same.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Same same.
Who asserts evidence of a negative? The suggestion is silly.

If you want to assert proof of a positive, knock yourself out. I'm not stopping you.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Who asserts evidence of a negative? The suggestion is silly.

If you want to assert proof of a positive, knock yourself out. I'm not stopping you.

Absolutely right, it is silly. Plenty of posters on this thread (and others I've had discussion with) have been asserting evidence that a transcendent eternal being does not exist. Glad you agree.

Stated for the umpteenth time in this thread, I'm not interested in trying to prove the existence of a transcendent eternal being.

Do you believe in reality ie, the existence of matter?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,575,365 times
Quote:

Same same.

You seem to think that the question of God's existence MUST BE a matter of positively asserting evidence one way or the other, followed by having "faith" in one set of evidence or the other.

No, the atheist is not asserting evidence. The atheist does not accept the presumption that God exists. Not presuming that God exists is a logically acceptable stance. Given that stance, the atheist is WAITING for sufficient evidence to be presented to mankind that contradicts the validity of the presumption. The (soft) atheist believes that the ball is in the theists' court to provide the evidence.

Please read the about.com article previously posted. Then get back to us.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Absolutely right, it is silly. Plenty of posters on this thread (and others I've had discussion with) have been asserting evidence that a transcendent eternal being does not exist. Glad you agree.

Stated for the umpteenth time in this thread, I'm not interested in trying to prove the existence of a transcendent eternal being.
Ok, sounds good to me.

Quote:
Do you believe in reality ie, the existence of matter?
I do believe in the existence of physical matter.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,575,365 times
Quote:
... I'm not interested in trying to prove the existence of a transcendent eternal being.

Then you will continue to be part of a "Mexican standoff" with the (soft) atheists.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM

4,072 posts, read 4,975,516 times
Quote:

Same same.
The theist asserts there is evidence for the existence of a deity. The atheist asserts that the evidence that the theist provides is inadquate. There's a difference between saying there is evidence for a claim and saying there is no evidence for that claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or