U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2009, 03:12 PM
 
Location: East Coast U.S.
1,513 posts, read 1,400,431 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

"I guess the discussion does rest on definitions.

My definition of "religious" means 100% faith-based without referencing any evidence or contra. "non-religious" is the opposite.

With those definitions, there are people who demand reference to evidences on all faiths without any exception. To them, 100% faith is not valid, and it falls under the category of stupidity. Also by the same definitions, being religious would fall under the 100% faith-based category.

Then, my answer is: not everyone is religious."


DFW123,

Christianity is not 100% faith based, therefore, Christianity is not a religion? Is that your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Rivendell
1,387 posts, read 2,117,106 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Everyone has a world view.

All world views require faith.

Can it then be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?
First, I disagree with your statement that all world views require faith. Others here have tried to explain to you that that you do not need faith to not believe in something that has no evidence of existence. The statement that all world views require faith is patently false. I don't need any faith to not believe in Thor, or Isis, or any other of the thousands of gods including yours.
My world view has nothing to do with faith. Therefore, it is not true to state that everyone is religious.

I don't see where chielgirl has stated she can prove the non-existence of god or anything else. You are correct in that you can't prove a negative. The burden of proof is on you.

Are you going to be another one of the believers who post here that get an answer to the question they have presented, and then disregard the answer because they disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: East Coast U.S.
1,513 posts, read 1,400,431 times
Reputation: 106
Sizzly Friddle,


"First, I disagree with your statement that all world views require faith. Others here have tried to explain to you that that you do not need faith to not believe in something that has no evidence of existence. The statement that all world views require faith is patently false. I don't need any faith to not believe in Thor, or Isis, or any other of the thousands of gods including yours."

Nonsense. Choosing to not believe in Gods existence is just another way of saying that you believe that God does not exist. Either way, it involves an active choice to believe - a choice that requires faith because, as you have acknowledged, you cannot PROVE a negative.

"My world view has nothing to do with faith. Therefore, it is not true to state that everyone is religious."

I assume that you have a view concerning God, life after death and the supernatural - correct? Explain how your CHOICE to believe or not believe in these things have "nothing to do with faith?"


"I don't see where chielgirl has stated she can prove the non-existence of god or anything else. You are correct in that you can't prove a negative. The burden of proof is on you."


Burden of proof for what?


"Are you going to be another one of the believers who post here that get an answer to the question they have presented, and then disregard the answer because they disagree?"

Gee, I don't know. Are you going to be another one of those people in denial for the simple sake of being in denial? You cannot cogently refute the point so you pretend that there is no point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 04:42 PM
 
12,550 posts, read 13,175,875 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Everyone has a world view.

All world views require faith.

Can it then be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?
Religious? No
Spiritual? Yes

Even if a person refuses to acknowledge the spiritual part of their being, it is still there.

A human being has these parts:

physical
emotional
intellectual
spiritual

Every human being has those parts. Ignoring or denying one of those parts doesn't make it go away. It just goes undeveloped and unacknowledged. There are people who deny they have emotions because they don't want to deal with them. There are a lot of people who deny they have a spiritual aspect, because they don't want to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Log home in the Appalachians
10,495 posts, read 10,098,433 times
Reputation: 6839
As a Native American, I am cultural and spiritual but I am not religious, so no, we are not all religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:01 PM
 
26 posts, read 82,203 times
Reputation: 18
Everyone has a right to their own opinions. Telling people there is no God and all religion is wrong is not any better than people of one religion telling people of another religion that they are wrong. It's just another form of "separation by belief".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:03 PM
 
Location: East Coast U.S.
1,513 posts, read 1,400,431 times
Reputation: 106
ptsum and DimSumRaja,

You missed the connection between faith and religion. Do all the various world views require faith? Yes.

The usual knock against religion is that it denies the significance of PROOF (scientific if you will) and EVIDENCE and/or REASON/LOGIC. However, all world views fall into the same dilemma - do you see my point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:06 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,596,365 times
Reputation: 811
OP, are you going by the word or what else?

religion - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

answers are left to the good use of gray matter in your brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Rivendell
1,387 posts, read 2,117,106 times
Reputation: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Everyone has a world view.

All world views require faith.

Can it then be fairly stated that everyone is, at least in the very basic definition, religious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Sizzly Friddle,


"First, I disagree with your statement that all world views require faith. Others here have tried to explain to you that that you do not need faith to not believe in something that has no evidence of existence. The statement that all world views require faith is patently false. I don't need any faith to not believe in Thor, or Isis, or any other of the thousands of gods including yours."

Nonsense. Choosing to not believe in Gods existence is just another way of saying that you believe that God does not exist. Either way, it involves an active choice to believe - a choice that requires faith because, as you have acknowledged, you cannot PROVE a negative.

"My world view has nothing to do with faith. Therefore, it is not true to state that everyone is religious."

I assume that you have a view concerning God, life after death and the supernatural - correct? Explain how your CHOICE to believe or not believe in these things have "nothing to do with faith?"


"I don't see where chielgirl has stated she can prove the non-existence of god or anything else. You are correct in that you can't prove a negative. The burden of proof is on you."


Burden of proof for what?


"Are you going to be another one of the believers who post here that get an answer to the question they have presented, and then disregard the answer because they disagree?"

Gee, I don't know. Are you going to be another one of those people in denial for the simple sake of being in denial? You cannot cogently refute the point so you pretend that there is no point?
Tiget- in order for something to appear in a quote box, the first word word must be the word 'quote' , but instead of ' ' use brackets [ ] with the word 'quote' in between the brackets. The last word in the box will be '/quote'
again with the brackets[ ] instead of ' '.

You seem to think I choose to not believe in god/gods. Have I also made a choice to not believe in all the gods that I have never heard of? Do you choose not to believe in Santa? Or do you believe he may exist? Do you choose to believe in gravity? Or do you believe it may not exist?

I do not need to choose the material world over the supernatural world. The material world does not require any faith at all, nor does the material world need me to believe in it for it to exist.
The supernatural, on the other hand, would not exist if nobody believed in it.

You have the burden of proof to prove the existence of the supernatural.

I have refuted you point by point. I agree I deny the existence of the supernatural. I am open to any evidence you have regarding the existence of anything that would not exist without faith.

I don't have to pretend you have no point. You have no point. Your
premise is built on faulty logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
 
26 posts, read 82,203 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
The supernatural, on the other hand, would not exist if nobody believed in it.
Not really. Many things in the universe existed before anyone knew they were there. Just because it is not visible to you yet doesn't mean it isn't there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top