Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:24 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmonroe View Post
Not really. Many things in the universe existed before anyone knew they were there. Just because it is not visible to you yet doesn't mean it isn't there.
Then they are not supernatural. They are simply unknown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Do all the various world views require faith? Yes.

How does a rationalist point of view require 'faith'? I think you are using your own private definition of the word 'faith'.

The working assumptions behind belief in, and use of, scientific facts and theories are not equivalent at all to faith.

Faith involves a decision to go beyond reason and facts to believe in a dimension of reality that is not subject to natural laws.

For example, to believe in the existences of heaven and hell requires faith. To believe in the immortality of the soul and life after death requires faith.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 PM

33,535 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Tigetmax, I have faith that you will never accept an answer that contradicts what you think, but that does not constitute religion, and you will have very little company with your definition of religion....No definition of the word religion agrees with you, but hey it's your right to call everybody else and all dictionaries wrong if it makes you happy.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:14 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,420 times
Sizzly,

[quote] You seem to think I choose to not believe in god/gods. Have I also made a choice to not believe in all the gods that I have never heard of? Do you choose not to believe in Santa? Or do you believe he may exist? Do you choose to believe in gravity? Or do you believe it may not exist?[quote]

More nonsense. I don't know whether or not you believe in God/gods. I merely assert that your choice to believe or not to believe requires faith.

I don't think that I'm being inarticulate or unclear here. You are just either unwilling or unable to pick up what I'm laying down.

[quote] I do not need to choose the material world over the supernatural world. The material world does not require any faith at all, nor does the material world need me to believe in it for it to exist.
The supernatural, on the other hand, would not exist if nobody believed in it.[quote]

I never said anything about belief in the material. I agree with you, the material takes very little to believe in for most of us. So far as I'm aware, Buhdists deny the existence of reality. So, we could say that some apparently lack the faith in to believe in the material world.

[quote]You have the burden of proof to prove the existence of the supernatural.[quote]

No. I have no such burden because I've never asserted the existence of the supernatural nor am I interested in trying to prove whether or not the supernatural exists. I prefer to stay on point if you don't mind.

[quote] I have refuted you point by point. [quote]

I beg to differ. What about it posters, has she refuted me point by point?

[quote]Your premise is built on faulty logic.[quote]

You keep throwing out these off the cuff statements without backing them up. Please EXPLAIN my "faulty" logic.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 PM

sanspeur,

Remember my qualifier. Religion in a BASIC sense.

I'm talking about the relationship between faith and religion.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
Tiget, you are arguing just to argue. You are playing by a set of rules known only to you. Please re-read the previous responses to your posts for the answers.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:32 PM

ParkTwain,

"How does a rationalist point of view require 'faith'? I think you are using your own private definition of the word 'faith'."

Does a rationalist have a view on the existence/non-existence of God, life after death and the supernatural? I presume yes. Whether yes or no, the rationalist places faith in that viewpoint - do you agree?

"The working assumptions behind belief in, and use of, scientific facts and theories are not equivalent at all to faith."

Yes and No. It all depends on what exactly we are talking about - right?

"Faith involves a decision to go beyond reason and facts to believe in a dimension of reality that is not subject to natural laws."

Very good grasshopper. There may indeed be hope for you.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:38 PM

Sizzly,

"Tiget, you are arguing just to argue. You are playing by a set of rules known only to you. Please re-read the previous responses to your posts for the answers."

Deny deny deny.

Name the rules Sizzly.

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
"The working assumptions behind belief in, and use of, scientific facts and theories are not equivalent at all to faith."

Yes and No. It all depends on what exactly we are talking about - right

That's right. It's not yet clear to me what you're talking about.

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Tiget, you are arguing just to argue. You are playing by a set of rules known only to you. Please re-read the previous responses to your posts for the answers.
seconded.

Psychic Attack: Spiritual Purification and Cord Cutting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality