U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:50 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,399,731 times

Advertisements

old_cold,

Thanks for your interest.

"Perhaps you are attributing to faith decisions or beliefs that have been made from a "proponderence of the evidence."

My use of the faith term is no more complicated than it's basic definition. We are all using the English language here - are we not?

"There are still many things that have not been proven or disproven but conclusions can be reached by a "proponderence of the evidence."

That would all depend on what "many things" we are talking about wouldn't it?

"This applies even if the word faith is casually but erroneously used in a statement such as "I have faith the sun will rise tomorrow."

All I've simply asserted is that it takes faith for one to believe in the non-existence of God. Thus far, I've observed no cogent/reasonable counters to this assertion.

Why is it so important to you to have this labled religious?

I'm simply asking a question. If everyone decides to abuse or ignore me I won't loose any sleep over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 07:06 AM

chielgirl,

You just haven't been paying attention.

I'm not arguing for the existence/non-existence of God nor do I have any interest in arguing it with you or anyone else.

If you were honest enough to be able to provide a straight answer to the question of world views, perhaps providing your own view with honesty, I could no doubt easily point out areas where you are taking that which you do not and cannot know on FAITH. Deny it all you want but we all know that this is true.

Here is just a suggestion. Consider dropping your personal agendas long enough to be able see past the end of your nose and stop presupposing hidden agendas where there are none.

Cheers!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 AM

18,371 posts, read 18,665,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
old_cold,

All I've simply asserted is that it takes faith for one to believe in the non-existence of God. Thus far, I've observed no cogent/reasonable counters to this assertion.

I thought I provided you with just that assertion.
It's not faith...it's a conclusion made after considering all the available facts.
"We" generally are willing to change our opinion when and if new evidence becomes available.
People with faith disregard any evidence that does not appear to support their belief....in fact, generally state that evidence is not required (the basis of faith) or even desired

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 AM

old_cold,

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I thought I provided you with just that assertion. It's not faith...it's a conclusion made after considering all the available facts. "We" generally are willing to change our opinion when and if new evidence becomes available. People with faith disregard any evidence that does not appear to support their belief....in fact, generally state that evidence is not required (the basis of faith) or even desired
No. Faith is a simple component in "our" world views.

Both those believing in Gods existence and those believing in Gods NON-existence utilize faith in conjunction with evidence, reason, logic etc.

Faith and reason can, and do, go together. Why in the world would it always have to be either one or the other? Either black or white?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:26 AM

18,371 posts, read 18,665,147 times
Quote:
old_cold,

No. Faith is a simple component in "our" world views.

Both those believing in Gods existence and those believing in Gods NON-existence utilize faith in conjunction with evidence, reason, logic etc.
When somebody else tells me how my mind (or anybody elses) works with such perceived authority is when a phrase borrowed from the younger sets fits in nicely.

Whatever.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
When somebody else tells me how my mind (or anybody elses) works with such perceived authority is when a phrase borrowed from the younger sets fits in nicely.

Whatever.

Yeah, whatever.

So much for cogent and reasoned responses.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:59 PM

30,043 posts, read 30,783,798 times
Quote:
Yeah, whatever.

So much for cogent and reasoned responses.
Why would you ask the question if you are so sure of what you think faith and religion means...You have received reasoned responses but you arrogantly dismiss them in a condescending manner...Carry on...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,163,000 times
Yeah, I'm done, too.
I won't be reading him any more.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,593,107 times
Halfbakery: Please Don't Feed The Troll

no, thanks.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why would you ask the question if you are so sure of what you think faith and religion means...You have received reasoned responses but you arrogantly dismiss them in a condescending manner...Carry on...
How about backing up your bluster. You state that there have been "reasoned" responses - list them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or