U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 PM

661 posts, read 1,031,202 times

Advertisements

Having had so many here praise and thank God for saving all the passengers on the plane that ditched in the Hudson River, I would like to know whether they have any thoughts on Gods seeming inaction in Buffalo today?

Especially as there was a human rights activist on board described by one of her colleagues as 'irreplaceable' and a 'truly wonderful, great human being.' Not good enough to warrant God's saving hand obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,051,550 times
You know... It's interesting to me... They interviewed some woman who thanked God for making her late for the doomed flight. She said God definitely had a hand in it. Is it just me or does anyone else see that as a rather self-centered and very arrogant statement? I mean... To say that God took the precious time out of his day to specifically make you late for a doomed plane while he didn't do anything for the other 50 passengers... That just really rubs me the wrong way.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM

140 posts, read 177,547 times
That is the type of questions often used to challenge theists' belief system. Because logically it make no sense for an "omnipotent" (all-powerful), "omniscient" (all-knowing), and "omnibenevolent" (all good wills) God doing nothing to the least deserving people -- 9/11 widow, rights-activists, ... and normal people (husbands, wives, daughters/sons, ...)

However, the most common defense to such God from theists is "free-wills". I hope someone can explain what that is.

Not that atheists are taking this opportunity to blame theists "Gods" -- they don't believe that craps anyway -- they merely use it to point out the irrationality of their belief system.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 AM

795 posts, read 2,039,244 times
Talking whacked job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Not good enough to warrant God's saving hand obviously.
How so?
Could be that getting whacked ''early'' would be the only way God could get them into His kingdom. Left to "live" longer they would sin out..

Old 02-14-2009, 12:23 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,993,481 times
is athiest believes that if God exist , so he should to save the humanity from the disasters?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:32 AM

105 posts, read 211,549 times
A moment of silence for the victims and their bereaved families might be more appropriate.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 AM

11,145 posts, read 13,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
How so?
Could be that getting whacked ''early'' would be the only way God could get them into His kingdom. Left to "live" longer they would sin out..
I hope that's a joke.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 AM

356 posts, read 1,124,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You know... It's interesting to me... They interviewed some woman who thanked God for making her late for the doomed flight. She said God definitely had a hand in it. Is it just me or does anyone else see that as a rather self-centered and very arrogant statement? I mean... To say that God took the precious time out of his day to specifically make you late for a doomed plane while he didn't do anything for the other 50 passengers... That just really rubs me the wrong way.
Its stupid and dumb and it is arrogant. I have always had problems with statements such as " there by the grace of God go I." Well what the hell is wrong with the grace for anyone else? Why do you get grace and the other poor sucker doesn't?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 AM

11,145 posts, read 13,550,038 times
The book series "Conversations with God" might provide the answer to this timeless question.

I read it years ago and have tested the concepts in the real world. Whether or not you believe he's talking to God or not doesn't matter. The ideas hold up better than any other that I've encountered.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:30 AM

589 posts, read 1,317,631 times
Why even ask? Death is inevitable. Our loved ones die, strangers die, we will all die someday. Jesus said we should not be obsessed with worldly riches because this physical life is transient. What is more important and should be of greater concern to us is the future... when we will all be resurrected to face judgment... and eventually given eternal life or meted the final death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality