U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:08 PM

365 posts, read 900,160 times

Advertisements

we're not in the dark ages unless you forget to pay the electric bill.
but seriously, there is no answer to your question because there is no answer unless you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:09 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,758,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
All are children of "God", if you will.

Very few are men and women of God. These are the true masters. A lot of us might fall into the category of "adolescents". We are transitioning our consciousness.

What you are reacting to are children of God expressing their relationship to the ageless Wisdom in the only way they know. It is very structured and rooted in the rational-logical level of consciousness - one that requires strict rules and black-and-white sense of reality. Thus, why they believe they need a book to guide them and a savior to worship and save them.

American philosopher Ken Wilber captures this phase of human development well in his writings - putting them in the a larger context of what human consciousness is truly capable of achieving.

It is not wrong or bad to adhere to a book or doctrine, just incomplete. Just as it is not wrong to be 9 years old. Such a person is just not a fully formed human being yet and they need this type of structure for their own development.

I think President Bush would be a strong example of this. Recovering from alcoholism, he needed a strict spiritual structure in which to place himself so he could stabilize his consciousness. It was important for him, but not necessarily true in any fundamental manner.

So, respect their journeys just as you would ask them to respect yours.

Well as far as the idiot bush goes, who care about his drinking problem, I have more faith in Forest Gump than that fool.
And why should anyone even bother with thinking about the devil if they trust in God, the power is all his, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
You can believe what you want regarding Satan. I have never, ever, heard someone say 'The Devil made me do it'. When anyone sins, or misses the mark, that is down to their weakness and humanity. We all miss the mark every single day, because we are fallen and prone to sinful actions or thoughts. Jesus Christ conversed with Satan, and that's good enough for me. He lies behind all that is evil and wretched in this world.
If you think Satan is fiction then he's achieved his goal. That's what he wants. It just makes it all the easier for him. One of his names is, after all, The father of the lie.You will have to whistle for your 'solid, hard-core proof'. Like we have to when hearing 'scientific' assertions regarding wings becoming legs...or is it the other way about? Etc, Etc.

Only if you're weak enough to believe in that, will effect you. This kind of stuff was written by a bunch of power hungry old farts that wanted to control the masses through fear. "The devils going to get you for that, or, the devil is in that child because her hair is the wrong color".
Theres just to many contradictions going on between the churches and the Bible and the churches are banking on that fear to keep the money rolling in for them to waste.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:12 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,590,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
but seriously, there is no answer to your question because there is no answer unless you believe.
you're just another one with an answer (that there is no answer) instead of either asking the question before, or admitting inability or unwillingness to think.

sorry, not meant to make you feel bad.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:13 PM

5,651 posts, read 5,552,595 times
I don't think we had a devil until Zoroastor came up with him.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't think we had a devil until Zoroastor came up with him.

your butler will google the details for you, won't he?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,758,500 times
Cool Is your faith that weak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
Why should any of us believe in the so called devil, if your faith is in the stronger one "God"?
Why should you waste any time on thinking about the so called devil, when your faith is with God?
Why let the money hungry churches tell you anything about the devil, when you should be smart enough to know that its only a fear factor ploy?
If your faith is strong and your are truly good to your fellow man, and your a hard worker, then why be tricked by fear factor teachings?

Old 02-15-2009, 03:47 PM

307 posts, read 432,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
Do you know "your" commonwealth, elizabeth? pun intended, no joke!
Could I have that in plain English?

Old 02-15-2009, 03:55 PM

... when you consider the OP's question ...

Old 02-15-2009, 04:01 PM

540 posts, read 1,065,499 times
I don't even think you know what the Dark Ages were. You can't tell it from your post. If anything, the Dark Ages acknowleged the devil far less than later ages. The devil, as you put it, wasn't even spoken of in England during the dark ages or much of central and eastern Europe.

So perhaps before you go around accusing others of ignorance, perhaps it would be wise to assure yourself that you don't come off in a similar light.

As for the "blaming the devil" thing, I fail to see that much in daily life. Further, even if it is done, I fail to see why that should even bother you. Why are you mass posting on this board about it? I hear some complain about how "bible thumpers" invade their life. And here you are, acting exactly the same, only worse.

I'm sorry, but we believe in many things that have ZERO empirical proof. The laws of science, for instance, are completely unprovable and untestable. Doesn't mean you throw scientific inquiry out the shoot and start over.

If some find the influence and tempatations of another drawing them towards actions, I say so be it. I guess they could call you an ignorant hick for thinking otherwise, too, but that wouldn't get anyone anywhere, would it?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM

540 posts, read 1,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Only if you're weak enough to believe in that, will effect you. This kind of stuff was written by a bunch of power hungry old farts that wanted to control the masses through fear. ".
Again, I think you're inventing more boogeymen than they are. Exactly who are these "old farts" who wrote this stuff? And where is it written?

The control the masses through fear is just a bunch of psychobabble you plucked from Nietzche. Just not convincing at all. Think for yourself sometime, cite direct examples, or move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality