U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:40 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,741,524 times

Advertisements

If we are so smart, then why are we still thinking like we're in the dark ages? We have folks still running around blamming all the bad things in the word on the so called "devil". When they should just look in the mirror and say, "well I just screwed that up". Or, "if I would have thought that through just a little bit better, maybe I wouldn't have screwed that up". But NO, they want to go around and blame everything on something that doesn't exist and be simple minded about it like little children. I'm sorry but, unless you can provide me with solid proof that something like this does infact exist, then quit blamming your simple minded decision on a fictitious character. And please don't give me this garbage that, its in the bible or, because my preacher said so, or I once saw one in my dreams. I want solid hard coure proof, like A science backed taping of one doing its dirty deeds. Lets say, making some kids head spin all the way around while the bed floats in the air. Oop sorry! That one has already been done in a movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,536,839 times
All are children of "God", if you will.

Very few are men and women of God. These are the true masters. A lot of us might fall into the category of "adolescents". We are transitioning our consciousness.

What you are reacting to are children of God expressing their relationship to the ageless Wisdom in the only way they know. It is very structured and rooted in the rational-logical level of consciousness - one that requires strict rules and black-and-white sense of reality. Thus, why they believe they need a book to guide them and a savior to worship and save them.

American philosopher Ken Wilber captures this phase of human development well in his writings - putting them in the a larger context of what human consciousness is truly capable of achieving.

It is not wrong or bad to adhere to a book or doctrine, just incomplete. Just as it is not wrong to be 9 years old. Such a person is just not a fully formed human being yet and they need this type of structure for their own development.

I think President Bush would be a strong example of this. Recovering from alcoholism, he needed a strict spiritual structure in which to place himself so he could stabilize his consciousness. It was important for him, but not necessarily true in any fundamental manner.

So, respect their journeys just as you would ask them to respect yours.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,581,884 times
ok. enough books.

theorizing galore.

critical mass around.

just no practice.

looking for another avatar. a bit more personal. s.v.p.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:52 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,072,475 times
As Flip Wilson would say,"The Devil Made Me Do It"

Old 02-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
As Flip Wilson would say,"The Devil Made Me Do It"

i've heard that, albeit in another context.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 PM

307 posts, read 432,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
If we are so smart, then why are we still thinking like we're in the dark ages? We have folks still running around blamming all the bad things in the word on the so called "devil". When they should just look in the mirror and say, "well I just screwed that up". Or, "if I would have thought that through just a little bit better, maybe I wouldn't have screwed that up". But NO, they want to go around and blame everything on something that doesn't exist and be simple minded about it like little children. I'm sorry but, unless you can provide me with solid proof that something like this does infact exist, then quit blamming your simple minded decision on a fictitious character. And please don't give me this garbage that, its in the bible or, because my preacher said so, or I once saw one in my dreams. I want solid hard coure proof, like A science backed taping of one doing its dirty deeds. Lets say, making some kids head spin all the way around while the bed floats in the air. Oop sorry! That one has already been done in a movie.
You can believe what you want regarding Satan. I have never, ever, heard someone say 'The Devil made me do it'. When anyone sins, or misses the mark, that is down to their weakness and humanity. We all miss the mark every single day, because we are fallen and prone to sinful actions or thoughts. Jesus Christ conversed with Satan, and that's good enough for me. He lies behind all that is evil and wretched in this world.
If you think Satan is fiction then he's achieved his goal. That's what he wants. It just makes it all the easier for him. One of his names is, after all, The father of the lie.
You will have to whistle for your 'solid, hard-core proof'. Like we have to when hearing 'scientific' assertions regarding wings becoming legs...or is it the other way about? Etc, Etc.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
You can believe what you want regarding Satan. I have never, ever, heard someone say 'The Devil made me do it'. When anyone sins, or misses the mark, that is down to their weakness and humanity. We all miss the mark every single day, because we are fallen and prone to sinful actions or thoughts. Jesus Christ conversed with Satan, and that's good enough for me. He lies behind all that is evil and wretched in this world.
If you think Satan is fiction then he's achieved his goal. That's what he wants. It just makes it all the easier for him. One of his names is, after all, The father of the lie.
You will have to whistle for your 'solid, hard-core proof'. Like we have to when hearing 'scientific' assertions regarding wings becoming legs...or is it the other way about? Etc, Etc.

Do you know "your" commonwealth, elizabeth? pun intended, no joke!

Old 02-14-2009, 04:38 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
easy no brainer bek there have been some bad days when the guy in the mirror looked a little bit like the devil.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:00 PM

4,638 posts, read 3,732,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I have been saying that all along. I have been saying all along people, that we need to all learn to own up to our actions and take responsibilty for ourselves, mmmmkay?

We need to quit blaming things on the devil and quit waiting for a diety to come fix everything. The time is now and the answer is us. We made the mess, we need to clean it up.
Whatever the mess is....

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 02-14-2009 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: mis-spell-ings

Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
easy no brainer bek there have been some bad days when the guy in the mirror looked a little bit like the devil.

which one?

the one saying, "they say christendom, but are meaning cattoon" ..........

Last edited by effie g-tad; 02-14-2009 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: eating red herring..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality