U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,052,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
So is the parting of the Red Sea.

Can you explain why people are finding chariots, human and animal remains, spears, and much more on the bottom of the Red Sea in an area that is 3 miles x 11 miles?
I'll have to do research on the Red Sea parting. But i'm sure you can explain talking snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,924,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I started reading and posting here on CD and I was worried about some of the questions I had about god, jesus and the bible. The point-counterpoint helped me understand and form solid understandings. Here is a quick summary of what I learned:
1. The bible is full of contradictions.
2. The concept of free will is incompatible with biblical teachings.
3. Gods concepts of morality allow slavery, torture, and hate.
4. The original bible has been lost.
5. Christians don't think enough of their own scriptures to learn the original languages.
5. Killing is ok, as long as it is a convicted person, not an embryo.
6. Christians are duplicitious: gay people go to hell (old testament citation) while slave owners (old testament citations) will not.
7. Christians confuse the icon of a cross with their creator.
8. The bible was actually assembled by a guy named Esubias (or similar) who was an employee of emporor constitine--who, by the way murdered his mother and refused to be baptised until he was on his deathbed--so he could lead a wicked life..Catholics call him "Saint" and "Pope."

I am glad that I spent the time and effort on this--I read 5 books, participated in this forum, studied Greek and Hebrew (a little). I worked as hard on this as I have ever worked on anything.

Thank you for your kind assistance and support.

I now KNOW that I do NOT need to spend time or effort in pursuing Christianity--or any other religion, as it is all just a group of enticing myths.

So much I could say to that, but I'm guessing you don't really care, do you?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:57 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,700,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Talking snake is a contradiction on its own.
And some people who were not educated, might believe a talking bird would be a contradiction also. Polly want a cracker? LOL

Old 02-16-2009, 04:04 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,700,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Campbell, if one perceives your book as being in error, then you going to have to come up with another means to defend it. You can say the bible contains no errors, that's your choice, but it doesn't make it absolute. To say that the bible is the absolute truth because the bible says so, is like saying that the Origin of Species by Darwin is correct because it says so, who knows maybe Darwin was inspired by God to write it.
The reason I say the Bible is the absolute truth, is because historical discovery keeps proving it so. Can you show us errors in the Bible that has been revealed by historical discovery? Can you show us errors in the Bible, because of fales prophecies? It's not true just because I say so, it's true because of it's revealed truth.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,415 times
Ezekiel 26:14

"And I will make thee [Tyre] like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD."

If you haven't noticed, Tyre is still around and has over 100,000 people.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 PM

995 posts, read 1,178,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Since it's obvious that you just copied and pasted those from another site, why don't you read them in context, and then tell us what you understand them to be saying?
In other words - you don't know yourself? Out of context? Hey..thats a favourtie tactic use by missionaries whenever they quote Quranic verses

Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM

5,695 posts, read 5,581,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I'll have to do research on the Red Sea parting. But i'm sure you can explain talking snakes.

The actual hebrew translation is "yam suph" and means "sea of reeds" which was an area that was between the Nile and the Sinai peninsula. This area was drained when the Suez canal was built.

It would appear that if the Exodus actually happened that this was the area that the Israelites crossed that stalled the Egyptian armies.

The "Red Sea" was mistakenly translated instead of the "Sea of Reeds". The Sea of Reeds was in line between the lower Nile valley and the Sinai. It makes absolutely no sense that the Israelites would have gone out of their way to be confronted by the Red Sea when there was dry land directly to their east as they were leaving Egypt.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,169,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The actual hebrew translation is "yam suph" and means "sea of reeds" which was an area that was between the Nile and the Sinai peninsula. This area was drained when the Suez canal was built.

It would appear that if the Exodus actually happened that this was the area that the Israelites crossed that stalled the Egyptian armies.

The "Red Sea" was mistakenly translated instead of the "Sea of Reeds". The Sea of Reeds was in line between the lower Nile valley and the Sinai. It makes absolutely no sense that the Israelites would have gone out of their way to be confronted by the Red Sea when there was dry land directly to their east as they were leaving Egypt.

Yeah! Thanks for saving me the post! It makes me nuts when Christians keep saying Moses parted the Red Sea. The original text says Sea of Reeds, a shallow, swampy area which is in no way a "Sea". As to people finding bones and spears and chariots at the bottom of the actual Red Sea...well...bones that have survived for all those years at the bottom of the ocean? I doubt it. Chariots and spears? Probably from sunken vessels...it doesn't matter.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,700,312 times
bible is not a history book. its literature designed to teach moral lessons.
you just wrote off one of the great rulers of history and did it with a misspelling. can you so quickly also dismiss the sun? now if a christian did this would you not call him judgemental and guilty of moralizing? often those most eager to critize the church are least qualified.
its hard to see the church clearly from a bar stool.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,597,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Yeah! Thanks for saving me the post! It makes me nuts when Christians keep saying Moses parted the Red Sea. The original text says Sea of Reeds, a shallow, swampy area which is in no way a "Sea". As to people finding bones and spears and chariots at the bottom of the actual Red Sea...well...bones that have survived for all those years at the bottom of the ocean? I doubt it. Chariots and spears? Probably from sunken vessels...it doesn't matter.

another one would be the camel (being a rope) going through the eye of a needle ..., yet nothing describes the rich - poor issue more adequately, today even better than in those days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality