U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 AM

4,047 posts, read 4,375,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
God says to not kill, that is a command for us. God can tell anyone to do what He likes, because He is God. He knows the end not us.
God must be the equivalent of a very inconsistent parent. You can't teach a child hitting is wrong if you command he hit his sister in order to punish her for something they both did. You would think he'd know a little more about psychology than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,902,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
God must be the equivalent of a very inconsistent parent. You can't teach a child hitting is wrong if you command he hit his sister in order to punish her for something they both did. You would think he'd know a little more about psychology than that.
There is a difference between justice and assault.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,917,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
There is a difference between justice and assault.
Violence is violence.
This is why secular laws are superior to biblical morals.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:02 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,580,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Violence is violence.
no. they may have been created with good intention.. this spirit needs to be recovered. individually and collectively.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,902,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Violence is violence.

Do you believe that we should have an armed police force?

Sometimes one must use violence to protect the innocent.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,921,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I started reading and posting here on CD and I was worried about some of the questions I had about god, jesus and the bible. The point-counterpoint helped me understand and form solid understandings. Here is a quick summary of what I learned:
1. The bible is full of contradictions.
2. The concept of free will is incompatible with biblical teachings.
3. Gods concepts of morality allow slavery, torture, and hate.
4. The original bible has been lost.
5. Christians don't think enough of their own scriptures to learn the original languages.
5. Killing is ok, as long as it is a convicted person, not an embryo.
6. Christians are duplicitious: gay people go to hell (old testament citation) while slave owners (old testament citations) will not.
7. Christians confuse the icon of a cross with their creator.
8. The bible was actually assembled by a guy named Esubias (or similar) who was an employee of emporor constitine--who, by the way murdered his mother and refused to be baptised until he was on his deathbed--so he could lead a wicked life..Catholics call him "Saint" and "Pope."

I am glad that I spent the time and effort on this--I read 5 books, participated in this forum, studied Greek and Hebrew (a little). I worked as hard on this as I have ever worked on anything.

Thank you for your kind assistance and support.

I now KNOW that I do NOT need to spend time or effort in pursuing Christianity--or any other religion, as it is all just a group of enticing myths.
You appear to be confused, no true Christian believes the things you state, so you are thanking the wrong people.

Maybe you should redirect your thanks to those on this forum who helped you confirm your preconcieved belief system about God, the bible and Christianity.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,921,447 times
Reading 5 books (about Christianity?) and studying a little Greek and Hebrew hardly constitutes a study let alone an exaustive study.

I have read hundreds of books on Christianity and Religion, not including countless readings and rereading of the Bible. I have also studied the Aramaic and the Hebrew and the Greek and various other languages of the middle east (I'll say a little myself do to the vast amounts of information concerning languages). With all this study I say that the bible is perfect. Taking into account all of the "errors" the bible is still perfect compared to other ancient manuscripts like the Illiad by Homer.

Most errors fall into several distinct categories: translation errors, name errors (name used in one Generation is prefered over an erlier name for understanding), scribe errors like writting 22 years instead of 42 years. But considering these and many other types of errors we find that the bible holds more truth than any other book.

The fact that you don't believe in a talking snake does not mean that a snake did not talk. That is a component of the bible that sometimes God exceeds the limitations of his created worlds laws. This is called the supernatural. The bible is consistant with what it states that is historical, archeological or provable, so when it talks of things that are supernatural and unprovable we can assume it is still telling the truth.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:17 AM

2,955 posts, read 6,629,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I have read hundreds of books on Christianity and Religion, not including countless readings and rereading of the Bible. I have also studied the Aramaic and the Hebrew and the Greek and various other languages of the middle east (I'll say a little myself do to the vast amounts of information concerning languages). With all this study I say that the bible is perfect. Taking into account all of the "errors" the bible is still perfect compared to other ancient manuscripts like the Illiad by Homer.
Why would you compare The Bible to other writings like The Iliad?
How could the "errors" in one possibly have any bearing on the other?

Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect. And I say you appear to have found perfection by using an imperfect practice. Sadly, the effects are permanent.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 AM

3,586 posts, read 5,343,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouabache View Post
Hey, a genocide apologist. How quaint. I wonder how well the "It wasn't really murder, your honor, because God told me to do it" defense would hold up in court.

Did you hurt yourself with all of that pretzel logic?

Nope no logic, just understand what it means!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:53 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,011,778 times
When reading some posts the defending "The Bible", the old adage "a little knowledge is dangerous" comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality