U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,272,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^
Because when one can't adequately answer reasonable critiques (such as why the Bible supports slavery, genocide, beating women), you pretend the passages are coded and hidden from doubters.

Then one can protect her worldview without having to face the fact that she may, in fact, be mistaken. That's really hard for a lot of people - especially when there isn't anything there to fill the void of what they have believed to be irrefutable truth for many years.

Have sympathy on those who rely on scriptures of any kind for any faith. It's a long road but very worthwhile road from holding God in a book to holding God in one's heart.
Boy did you speak the truth there Bluefly. I was raised to believe the bible was the literal truth and if you doubted any of it you were hell bound...period !

It took me years and years and some very helpful and kind "seekers" I met to help me understand that life was much more simple than that. You don't need a book, or a building (church) to have the most satisfying relationship with all that is....or god if you must attach a name to it.

God is in you....not outside of you. It makes all the difference in the world once you realize that. All of a sudden things start to make more sense, you feel more peace. You start to feel like your worth something rather than the feeling you get (at least the one I got) when reading the bible which in various ways describes humans as "filthy rags" "unworthy" "sinful" and various other nasty names. We're all part of god. We're here in this challenging environment called Earth to learn some lessons.

One thing I've learned though that makes the flow of life easier for me is this. The less you resist external negative events around you the easier the positive things seem to happen. I know it sounds bass ackwards....but it's the way it seems to work best for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
If the bible was written in some type of code so non-believers can't really understand it that would seem to be the strangest and most non-productive way I can imagine to help people find their way in the christian faith.

Would an author write an entry level 3rd grade math book using college calculus ? Of course not, you'd make it as understandable as the normal 3rd grader would be.

Why would god want to play "hard to get" with unbelievers by making the bible way to hard to understand unless you had already accepted all the beliefs the bible espouses ?
Don't you know that all Christians are given a secret decoder ring when they convert? Oh, I guess not since it is super secret and only given to True Christians.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,531,616 times
Quote:
Boy did you speak the truth there Bluefly. I was raised to believe the bible was the literal truth and if you doubted any of it you were hell bound...period !

It took me years and years and some very helpful and kind "seekers" I met to help me understand that life was much more simple than that. You don't need a book, or a building (church) to have the most satisfying relationship with all that is....or god if you must attach a name to it.

God is in you....not outside of you. It makes all the difference in the world once you realize that. All of a sudden things start to make more sense, you feel more peace. You start to feel like your worth something rather than the feeling you get (at least the one I got) when reading the bible which in various ways describes humans as "filthy rags" "unworthy" "sinful" and various other nasty names. We're all part of god. We're here in this challenging environment called Earth to learn some lessons.

One thing I've learned though that makes the flow of life easier for me is this. The less you resist external negative events around you the easier the positive things seem to happen. I know it sounds bass ackwards....but it's the way it seems to work best for me.
That's wonderful to hear! What I've found intriguing is that when you make that transition to feel God within you - as you - the walls between science and spirituality fade.

You stop arguing over whether or not there is a God and what she thinks to being able to interact with the "God" (or perhaps Force would be more accurate) and achieve so much more than what either the religious or the atheists believe to be possible.

It is definitely very peaceful and loving. And if God wants me to think myself a wretch and worthless, then I have no desire to spend eternity in his Wal-Mart in the Sky. I'll do my shopping elsewhere.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,342,522 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but you lost me here. I'm really trying hard not to chuckle here since your attempt at defending the bible saying two different things in two different places reminds me of the song I've heard on the radio a few times entitled " I'm my own grandpa". The whole song is a complete story of how this kid somehow became his own grandpa.

If you have to use such complicated logic to make sure the bible remains the literal truth in your mind.....so be it, but to me it seems a reach at best.

Like I said unbelievers want understand spiritual things.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:36 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,531,616 times
It's spelled "won't" - a contraction of will not. It's not spelled "want" as in "I want to believe what you're saying, but it just doesn't stand up to critical analysis".

Please explain how non-believers (unbelievers is not a word) can believe if they can't understand what they believe until after they believe it.

Thank you. Have a great day.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM

140 posts, read 177,381 times
How can "won't" contradict "will not"?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,673,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well I have to say that some of these last few posts are some of the most outstanding examples of Christian waffling I have ever seen....By the way I thought the seventh commandment was "Thou shalt not kill", but even if the word murder is substituted it is just semantics....Amazing how some Christians attempt to justify the actions of such a murderous, jealous and vicious god.
Your abilty to ignore the details of the Biblical wording is what is Amazing. Murder is to take a life without cause. To kill is not the same as murder. And God was justified in every action he took a life. God created life, and God can take a life. And until you have the full understanding and knowledge of why God had to take those lives, you will be a poor judge of God's actions. And it is obvious you are not aware of all the details of why God took life. Yet, even without such details, you appear eager to proclaim God's actions as murderous.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
This would be funny, if it wasn't so sadly ignorant...What nutrients do you think that poor old biblical talking snake derived from dust?...I guess modern snakes are off the hook, as I have never seen any gobbling dust.
Where on earth did you get the idea that the eating of dust required them to receive nutrients? The fact that a snake is so close to the ground the eating of dust will occur, and it has nothing to do with nutrients. Here again, you are revealing what you do not know. And here again, the Bible is making a fool of your lack of knowledge. In Micah 7:17 it reads. The nations shall lick the dust like a serpent.
In the roof of a snake's mouth is an organ called 'Jacobson organ'. This organ helps a snake to smell and it samples dust with it's forked tongue to do this. That dust is then passed through it's digestive track. Please, could you take the time to actually read up on a topic before you express anymore of your mistaken beliefs?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Apologetics press huh? Well they are wrong...The location of the city of Tyre is not in doubt, for it exists to this day on the same spot and is known as Sur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre_(Lebanon)

Really?

So are you telling me they much of the New city of Tyre today is now underwater? WOW
And did they bulldoze down all those ancient buildings so they could put up the new city? LOL
I'm sorry, that did not happen, because the site of the old city is considered a historical treasure, and that is why the new city could not be built there. The new city may be near the old city, yet it is not built on the orginal site. And as the Bible proclaims, fishermen will dry their nets on the ruins, and that is occuring.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Violence is violence.
This is why secular laws are superior to biblical morals.
Many of our secular laws were first based on the Biblical law, or did you forget that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality