Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:13 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I started reading and posting here on CD and I was worried about some of the questions I had about god, jesus and the bible. The point-counterpoint helped me understand and form solid understandings. Here is a quick summary of what I learned:
1. The bible is full of contradictions.
2. The concept of free will is incompatible with biblical teachings.
3. Gods concepts of morality allow slavery, torture, and hate.
4. The original bible has been lost.
5. Christians don't think enough of their own scriptures to learn the original languages.
5. Killing is ok, as long as it is a convicted person, not an embryo.
6. Christians are duplicitious: gay people go to hell (old testament citation) while slave owners (old testament citations) will not.
7. Christians confuse the icon of a cross with their creator.
8. The bible was actually assembled by a guy named Esubias (or similar) who was an employee of emporor constitine--who, by the way murdered his mother and refused to be baptised until he was on his deathbed--so he could lead a wicked life..Catholics call him "Saint" and "Pope."

I am glad that I spent the time and effort on this--I read 5 books, participated in this forum, studied Greek and Hebrew (a little). I worked as hard on this as I have ever worked on anything.

Thank you for your kind assistance and support.

I now KNOW that I do NOT need to spend time or effort in pursuing Christianity--or any other religion, as it is all just a group of enticing myths.
Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
I have read the contradictions. And the entire bible for that matter. The contradictions still stand as far as I'm concerned. I don't recall you refuting the over 100 contradictions in the bible, but if you say so it must be true.

Get a life.
I said I have refuted the one's put before me. And you say the contradictions still stand as far as your concerned? It's easy to say that, especially when you have not presented even one here yourself. And until you do that, those contradictions will only exist in you fantasy world. LOL
I see guys like you here all the time. "Yeah, see my list? There's hundreds of contradictions." Then you ask to see one, and then suddenly they can't produce one. Some people really like to hide behind those lists. Yet when confronted with the truth, I got news for you. Those long lists tend to evaporate.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:02 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Talking snake is a contradiction on its own.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM

713 posts, read 1,956,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Talking snake is a contradiction on its own.
So is the parting of the Red Sea.

Can you explain why people are finding chariots, human and animal remains, spears, and much more on the bottom of the Red Sea in an area that is 3 miles x 11 miles?

Probably never head that story on your atheist websites : )

Old 02-15-2009, 04:20 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Campbell, if one perceives your book as being in error, then you going to have to come up with another means to defend it. You can say the bible contains no errors, that's your choice, but it doesn't make it absolute. To say that the bible is the absolute truth because the bible says so, is like saying that the Origin of Species by Darwin is correct because it says so, who knows maybe Darwin was inspired by God to write it.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:13 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,316 times
Here is a contradiction that I've never seen discussed:
In one gospel Judas dies by hanging himself.
In another gospel Judas dies because his bowels (stomach?) exploded.

Which is it? If he hung himself, his bowells could not then explode. If his bowells exploded, he would be in no shape to be able to hang himself--as he would be dead.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:53 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,781 times
Quote:
You don't know me. You don't have any idea of my personal thoughts. For you to decide that my personal thoughts are any different from what I've explained is highly arrogant.
Never did I say I know your personal thoughts. I formed an opinion from your own posts, that you made public, which I have every right to do. Had I said something contrary to one post, I would be arrogant. But I didn't, I formed it from most of your posts.

I wasn't being sarcastic either when I said I hope you'll be happy with your decision. I'm a firm believer that everyone has a right to their own decisions, whether it be an atheist or a Christian.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:27 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Here is a contradiction that I've never seen discussed:
In one gospel Judas dies by hanging himself.
In another gospel Judas dies because his bowels (stomach?) exploded.

Which is it? If he hung himself, his bowells could not then explode. If his bowells exploded, he would be in no shape to be able to hang himself--as he would be dead.
Both, the explanation is the limb from which his body was hanging broke and the result was the fall split his body open.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,002 times
Heyy...no one's going to answer to my query regarding the 2 contradictions in the bible?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Heyy...no one's going to answer to my query regarding the 2 contradictions in the bible?
Since it's obvious that you just copied and pasted those from another site, why don't you read them in context, and then tell us what you understand them to be saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality