Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:28 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
What's the point? We have all shown you contradictions in the bible and you will not listen. But just because you asked:

A List Of Biblical Contradictions

Losing Faith In Faith (http://www.ffrf.org/books/lfif/?t=contra - broken link)

and for those who are only interested in the NT:

New Testament
The bible does not contradict itself. When someone does not understand what they are reading, they say that the bible is contradicting itself.

If you don't have the Holy Spirit how can you understand spiritual things, you can't and you want.

The bible says that know man has seen Gods Face, but the bible says that Abraham and others saw God face to face. So, how is that when the bible says that know one has seen God. Jesus said that no man has seen the Father but Him. So, who were they seeing? WAs it not Jesus, He is God. If people don't understand that Jesus is also God, then it is evident that they were seeing God in a form, but not the Father, but Jesus was always there. If people don't understand things like that then they will say that the bible is contradicting themselves. If you don't understand spiritual things then you want be able to comprehend them.

Jesus said that to see Him, was to see the Father. So, Jesus was in the Old Testament also, because He is God. So, it is not that the bible is contradicting itself, you just have to understand the language.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 02-16-2009 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And some people who were not educated, might believe a talking bird would be a contradiction also. Polly want a cracker? LOL
Now that is about the weakest argument I've ever heard, and you know it. How about the talking ass, or the snake eating dirt? Believe those too?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouabache View Post
Ezekiel 26:14

"And I will make thee [Tyre] like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD."

If you haven't noticed, Tyre is still around and has over 100,000 people.
The orginal city of Tyre is now a historical site. The orginal Tyre was never rebuilt, and fishermen today still spread their nets on what remains of the old city. A new city was built named Tyre. Yet that city does not set on the location where the old city will be found.

Apologetics Press - Tyre in Prophecy

Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
The bible does not contradict itself. When someone does not understand what they are reading, they say that the bible is contradicting itself.
Really....These sure look like contradictions to me...Prove me wrong, and let me know if you want more...There are plenty of them.

Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exodus 32:27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

Romans 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.
Exodus 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

2 Kings 8:26 Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign.
2 Chronicles 22:2 Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign.

2 Samuel 6:23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.
2 Samuel 21:8 But the king took the two sons of Rizpah . . . and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The orginal city of Tyre is now a historical site. The orginal Tyre was never rebuilt, and fishermen today still spread their nets on what remains of the old city. A new city was built named Tyre. Yet that city does not set on the location where the old city will be found.

Apologetics Press - Tyre in Prophecy
Apologetics press huh? Well they are wrong...The location of the city of Tyre is not in doubt, for it exists to this day on the same spot and is known as Sur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre_(Lebanon)

Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Now that is about the weakest argument I've ever heard, and you know it. How about the talking ass, or the snake eating dirt? Believe those too?
If you are speaking of the Scripture I am thinking of, it states snakes will eat (dust) all of their life. Well, that would be a true statement. Consider link below.

Serpents and dust; Christians and salt
http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/1298

Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Really....These sure look like contradictions to me...Prove me wrong, and let me know if you want more...There are plenty of them.

Exodus 32:27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

2 Samuel 6:23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.
2 Samuel 21:8 But the king took the two sons of Rizpah . . . and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul.

Michal doesn't bear any children herself, but she is apparently raising someone else's five sons (Adriel's children).

God says to not kill, that is a command for us. God can tell anyone to do what He likes, because He is God. He knows the end not us.

As to Ahaziah being both 22 and 42 at his coronation, there are several possibilities. One age could be biological and the other could be assumed (in the name of someone else). For instance, he could be 22 biologically (fitting with the age of his father) and could also have assumed the age of his uncle Ahaziah (who had been king of Israel) in an attempt to bring the two kingdoms together. This would certainly fit the later actions of Athaliah in killing the seed royal and taking over the throne of Judah.
Another possibility is that he had been coronated twice but did not actually take the throne until he was 42. This would make him older than his father, but that would be possible if he were adopted for the purpose of placing him in the royal line. This kind of thing was done in the Roman succession many times. I have heard other possibilities as well.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Exodus 20:13 actually states, thou shall not murder, if you are reading from one of the orginals. There is a big difference between killing, and murder.

The discrepency in Ahaziah's age is do to a copyist error. It is not in the original. Consider link below.

http://www.carm.org/bible-difficulties/joshua-esther/how-old-was-ahaziah-when-he-began (broken link)...

Last edited by Campbell34; 02-17-2009 at 12:36 AM..

Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 6,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
God says to not kill, that is a command for us. God can tell anyone to do what He likes, because He is God. He knows the end not us.
Hey, a genocide apologist. How quaint. I wonder how well the "It wasn't really murder, your honor, because God told me to do it" defense would hold up in court.

Quote:
As to Ahaziah being both 22 and 42 at his coronation, there are several possibilities. One age could be biological and the other could be assumed (in the name of someone else). For instance, he could be 22 biologically (fitting with the age of his father) and could also have assumed the age of his uncle Ahaziah (who had been king of Israel) in an attempt to bring the two kingdoms together. This would certainly fit the later actions of Athaliah in killing the seed royal and taking over the throne of Judah.
Another possibility is that he had been coronated twice but did not actually take the throne until he was 42. This would make him older than his father, but that would be possible if he were adopted for the purpose of placing him in the royal line. This kind of thing was done in the Roman succession many times. I have heard other possibilities as well.
Did you hurt yourself with all of that pretzel logic?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:04 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bible is not a history book. its literature designed to teach moral lessons.
you just wrote off one of the great rulers of history and did it with a misspelling. can you so quickly also dismiss the sun? now if a christian did this would you not call him judgemental and guilty of moralizing? often those most eager to critize the church are least qualified.
its hard to see the church clearly from a bar stool.
The bible is not a book of morals. It has a few good morals in it, but for the most part you really have to pick and choose to be a moral person. Many of the things Jesus taught do not apply across the board as he taught, such as turning the other cheek or giving away all possessions. Slavery was OK with Jesus, and so was oppression of women. And the OT is so full of horror done by the supposedly chosen people and in some cases commanded by God, genocide, rape, murder, incest, infanticide, slavery, punishment of death for practically nothing, etc. I can't fathom that anyone who has fully read the bible can believe it is a great book of morals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality