Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

If the entire earth was covered with water from present day sea level to a height that would cover all land masses it would require almost 30,000 feet of water. There is a finite amount of water on the earth and not enough to rise to this height so where did the water come from and where did it go after the flood was over?

I would imagine that the rain was fresh water as opposed to salt water (that's generally what we get in a rainstorm) so what would that do to marine life? Fresh water marine life can't survive in salt water and salt water marine life can't survive in fresh water so this mixing of the oceans with massive amounts of fresh water and then the covering of fresh water lakes and rivers with a deluge of thousands of feet of water should have mixed the salt water with the fresh water and killed off the marine life. How did that work out?

Why is there no geological evidence whatsoever of a worldwide flood?

How did trees, crops, grasses and plants of every kind survive after being under thousands of feet of water?

After the flood had subsided how did the animals on the arc get back home? I don't recall anything in the Bible describing Noah taking kangaroos back to Australia or elephants back to Africa and of course there's millions of species and the Bible says that Noah was over 600 years old at the time so I would imagine that at that age he needed to take a nap now and again.

Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 06:09 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
not to mention the arks too tiny to carry every species ever know

Old 04-12-2008, 06:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Personally, I believe there was a devastating flood in that area sometime in the distant far past, that probably claimed most of the population and the animals..IMO, these stories in the ot were handed down through the centuries in an attempt of the righteous men to explain to their tribes as best they could why this terrible flood happened. Their intention was to convince the people that there was one God instead of the many gods and goddesses the people worshipped..These stories explained to desperate people that God was in control of the creation..People eventually took these stories literally and the story teller did exactly what God wanted him to do..He caused the people to start having faith..

Old 04-12-2008, 06:42 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
blue wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I believe there was a devastating flood in that area sometime in the distant far past, that probably claimed most of the population and the animals..IMO, these stories in the ot were handed down through the centuries in an attempt of the righteous men to explain to their tribes as best they could why this terrible flood happened.
That's also what I think. There's no question that there have been devastating regional floods that caused massive destruction and it became a part of the local culture and religious beliefs at that time but it's completely unrealistic to consider the possibility that the entire earth was flooded and a man over 600 years old was saved along with a male and female of every species which repopulated the planet by inbreeding and incest.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:55 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I believe the flood was real and it actually happened Genesis 7:22 says everything died that breathed and lived on dry land. 8:17 "Release all the animals and birds so they can breed and reproduce in great numbers".
I also came across this statement in the foot notes of my bible: God took care of the details while Noah was doing his part by building the boat.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe the flood was real and it actually happened Genesis 7:22 says everything died that breathed and lived on dry land. 8:17 "Release all the animals and birds so they can breed and reproduce in great numbers".
I also came across this statement in the foot notes of my bible: God took care of the details while Noah was doing his part by building the boat.
hehe well we can´t really argue against that

Old 04-13-2008, 05:19 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
Hard to say, however many world religions have a 'flood story' so it could be a real event, handed down as things were by oral tradition. We can also assume that the world is not a few thousand years old, so this could have happened any time in the past.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Hard to say, however many world religions have a 'flood story' so it could be a real event, handed down as things were by oral tradition. We can also assume that the world is not a few thousand years old, so this could have happened any time in the past.
Well floods aren´t that rare and really for the entire world to be filled with water to the point that everything up to and including the tallests of mountains become engulfed in water just isnt possible without the "deus ex machina" factor. Maybe it became a worldwide flood after a small flood story was passed on orally

There is also the problem that plagues zoologists which is that species whose populations become less that 1000 will almost certainly become extinct. I mean there is a list consisting of thousands of species that are critically endangered and require constant effort from many people over many decades just to get their numbers up. Deuz ex machina once again

Old 04-13-2008, 08:37 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I guess this pretty much does cover everything. Lol. I suppose God could slam dunk the earth into a bathtub if he wanted, assuming that he made the universe. It just seems like a cop-out, like there had to be a natural explanation for the whole damn thing. Like God tapped into the natural water reservoirs in earth or something. I suppose if you look for a natural explanation for a supernatural even you will come up lacking.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:36 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,105 times
muslims believe that flood is happened but it wans't universal flood
it's very clear in the quran that the flood happend in specific area noah's people area
i don't know if you interrested to know the details , but you are wellcome if you want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality