U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,688,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Yeah, I had that option, but I never knew if it'd actually happen... or when it'd actually happen.

When you choose to live a homosexual life (since there is no such thing as "being gay"), you block out from your mind the possibility that you could find love with a member of the opposite gender. If that weren't true, why are there so many people who at one point in their lives claimed to "be gay" and then at some point recovered from that and "became" heterosexual? I've known several women who were really boy-crazy in their younger years... I mean CRAZY, not just trying to make a show of it... and then after being spurned enough by the jerks they chose to pursue, said that they decided they were lesbian. There is a common denominator in there... a built-up hatred of men on account of how they were treated by such men.

But you aren't doing what you're supposed to be doing. You don't have to take my word for it. I'm not God... I'm only the messenger. If you choose to go against God, God will eventually tell you that He doesn't know you and He will deny you entrance into His paradise.
How exactly does this help the OP? You say that there is no such thing as being gay....What qualifications do you have to back up this statement?
How many homosexuals would agree with you?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 AM

13 posts, read 13,388 times
Default Don't do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
bchris02,

Would you please consider contacting Exodus International - freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ.

BChris- i know this is a really old post- you ave probably already delt with all of this and I just want to say again - BE who GOD made you! GOD is perfect and he Created you as you are with all of your thoughts, desires, hopes and dreams so that youcould experience them fully and without recourse- Please do not let anyone belittle you or who you are with their prejudice and hatred. Love is what this world was created for and God loves us all regardless of what any religion tells you- what kind of love would make a 12 step program to change the true self?

they don't make 12 step programs for left handed people or blind people, or people with tiretts syndrome do they?
bottom line- live your life as the person that you truely are and all will be well.

thanks.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogames View Post
BChris- i know this is a really old post- you ave probably already delt with all of this and I just want to say again - BE who GOD made you! GOD is perfect and he Created you as you are with all of your thoughts, desires, hopes and dreams so that youcould experience them fully and without recourse- Please do not let anyone belittle you or who you are with their prejudice and hatred. Love is what this world was created for and God loves us all regardless of what any religion tells you- what kind of love would make a 12 step program to change the true self?

they don't make 12 step programs for left handed people or blind people, or people with tiretts syndrome do they?
bottom line- live your life as the person that you truely are and all will be well.

thanks.
Excellent advice. I've known two people who attempted to "Convert" through Exodus. They both nearly killed themselves before fleeing this horrible organization.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,512,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post

But you aren't doing what you're supposed to be doing. You don't have to take my word for it. I'm not God... I'm only the messenger. If you choose to go against God, God will eventually tell you that He doesn't know you and He will deny you entrance into His paradise.
What I'm "supposed" to be doing? I could care less what you think I'm supposed to be doing. You can't impose your religious beliefs on me. You don't know who goes to heaven, or if there even is one.

Worry about yourself - I'm doing just fine

Old 02-19-2009, 10:37 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,922,232 times
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
As I said before, many people, especially men in the rural South where I live find homosexuality so disgusting they elevate it into something much bigger than it is. Guys around here are expected to show a hightened level of masculinity. I couldn't mention I was struggling with it without them thinking I was trying to come on to them. Mentioning this to my Christian friends would be the end of our friendship. Its not right that its that way, but its the way it is around here.

Far worse is attending a church like I attended growing up where the doctrine was that if one was having homosexual desires, they had already been given over to a depraved mind (Romans 1) and was beyond hope. I remember one sermon where our preacher said that homosexuality is worse than murder, and is the deepest depths of satanic perversion. Another time somebody in the congregation shouted, "we should round up all the child molesters and homosexuals and put them in gas chambers!". Now that is pure hate. I am currently and have been for the past 10 months going to a different church, though still a very conservative one.

As I said before, most of the posters in this thread have been very respectful. As a Christian, having heard much worse all my life, I honestly don't have a problem with somebody believing it is sinful as long as they keep it in perspective. I am still somewhat unsure on the issue.

As for the sinfulness of homosexuality, the most popular Leviticus 18:22 should not be used in my opinion to condemn gays because its just a few verses over from verses that condemn people who wear multi-fabric garments and many other laws which Christians don't consider binding. The story of Sodom and Gamorrah was describing homosexual gang rape and group orgies, which is a far cry from a loving, monogamous homosexual relationship. That leaves us with Romans 1 and 1 Corinthinas 6:9-10 dealing with the subject. Question is, what was the original intent of the author? What does the original Greek say? And how are we to interpret them? Are they addressing loving, comitted same sex relationships or merely the promiscuous scene that artsyguy was talking about?
Sorry to hear about you situation based on your location. I suggest that you pray that God will open up relationships for you to discuss your internal feelings with.

The bible is clear that he made man and woman to be united to become one flesh. It says; "for this cause shall a man leave his mother and father and cleave to his wife and they shall be one flesh". A wife is female. God called this relationship "very good".

Any sex outside of a covenant relationship (marriage between one man and one woman) is sin. Whether this sex is with man, beast, minors, other married couples, multiples of people, the dead, etc. it is a sin. It is called adultery. This is one of the commandments.

We know what the original intent of the author was, because the bible is clear and all we have to do is read it. I have studied the bible in several languages. What does it say in the original? The same we read in the translation. Some nuances are lost, but nothing major.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 AM

428 posts, read 691,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
All my life I have been struggling with homosexual desires. I was raised by a family so conservative they make Pat Robertson and Jerry Fallwell look like left wing nuts. I wouldn't put it beyond my dad to kill me if he ever found out about this. I would be disowned entirely by my family nonetheless. That said I was raised in a very conservative church just a little to the left of Westboro, where gays were usually blamed for various events as God's judgment for our nation's tolerance of homosexuality. I still believe in God however and have prayed numerous times for Him to take this burden from me, but it has not happened. In addition, I live in an extremely conservative area where it would be next to impossible for me to live as an open gay man. I would have to leave my church, friends, and family and would be completely alone. I don't think I could bear that. Not that in addition to a very possible reality that I would burn in hell for eternity for it. So I am basically stuck in a pathetic existence and I need to be prepared for a long lonely life. For whatever reason God will not lift this burden from me. To my fellow Christians, what advice do you give? I can't go to my church minister about this because I'll be excommunicated from the church. I can't go to my friends and I sure can't go to my family. I know on this board i've said some things about gays that I shouldn't have but that is due to my conservative surroundings and me fighting these desires. I apologize to those ive offended.
Dude I'm way late to the game here and you've probably been told this a million times before but....GOD LOVES YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE.

Too much to go into here but our backgrounds are exactly the same, in the way you've described it at least. You have begged and pleaded with God to take away these homosexual desires, but nothing has changed, right?

I think that's the answer right there. God would surely have answered your prayer if it were that important to both you and Him.

And remember, their are many other valid explanations regarding the Bible's seeming take on homosexuality other than the fundamentalist one. Keep in mind also that there are verses which accept and regulate slavery, require widows to marry their brother-in-law, require victims of rape to marry their rapist, and prohibit eating shellfish or pork. Passages which might be interpreted as condemning homosexuality might also be not applicable today.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:33 PM

13 posts, read 13,388 times
Default you do not know what you are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You have to remember that the gay community is completely different than any other community.

Casual sex is the norm. Dating and relationships are rare and purely for sexual reasons when a relationship does happen to form. Friendship is rare amongst gays. Internalized homophobia is a problem. Homosexual sex is the leading cause of contracting the AIDS virus. Most homosexual men meet at bars and nightclubs. The gay community isn't peaches and roses by any means. It is a sordid community of decadence, not because they are attracted to the same sex but because of their behaviors and lack of morals.

I inform you all on this topic with the utmost respect towards the gay community. I realize the community has suffered through decades of oppression. I recognize that many gay people were oppressed individually and treated with discrimination and bias their entire lives. That is wrong and unfair. It is hard to be a great community when so many want the community to just vanish.
I do not even know where to begin with this!!!!

if you have not lived in the gay community- how could you possibly know what it is like- you know what you think the gay community is all about- and my friend you are mistaken.
there are plenty of wonderful relationships in the gay community- if you do not see them it is because of your own fear of opening your eyes to see what is right in front of you. You are intitled to your opinion- I jsut think it is not wise to describe something that you do not know about as if you were describing yourself.

take a look around and think before you make such accusations! if you had the respect you claim in your post for the gay community you would not have said what you did.
for the record Aids Case among GLBT community has dropped signifcantly in the last few years and the highest group of individuals that are contracting HIV/AIDS is the abandoned children of Africa and IV drug users.

read a book- will you?!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 6,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You have to remember that the gay community is completely different than any other community.

Casual sex is the norm. Dating and relationships are rare and purely for sexual reasons when a relationship does happen to form. Friendship is rare amongst gays. Internalized homophobia is a problem. Homosexual sex is the leading cause of contracting the AIDS virus. Most homosexual men meet at bars and nightclubs. The gay community isn't peaches and roses by any means. It is a sordid community of decadence, not because they are attracted to the same sex but because of their behaviors and lack of morals.

I inform you all on this topic with the utmost respect towards the gay community. I realize the community has suffered through decades of oppression. I recognize that many gay people were oppressed individually and treated with discrimination and bias their entire lives. That is wrong and unfair. It is hard to be a great community when so many want the community to just vanish.
This is unbelievable. I have many gay friends in great relationships.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,406,197 times
I'm not sure that I see any value in drifting away from the main concerns of the OP into a discussion regarding casual sex among gay people. I would only suggest that casual sex is not exactly a foreign concept to heteosexuals. Walk into any nightclub where young people like to hang out on a Saturday night and you'll see what I mean.
There's one key issue that's been brought up by a number of posts that's at the heart of the matter and that's the assertion that sexual orientation can be changed from homosexual to heterosexual. I suppose a person who is bisexual and is equally attracted to men and women might be able to live a heterosexual life but I don't believe that someone who has no attraction to the opposite sex can possibly acquire that attraction through some sort of therapy or by praying. That's completely unrealistic and it places an unfair burden on someone who's attempting to do such a thing because it's doomed to failure. As a heterosexual I can't imagine making my sexual desires just go away. It doesn't work that way, sexual desires are involuntary.
The other main issue is why should someone who is gay need to change their sexual desires in the first place? Of course we all know the answer to that one. It's the result of religious beliefs that have been ingrained in our culture which tell us that homosexuality is a moral issue and is a sin. I happen to believe that this viewpoint is based on the ignorance of human sexuality and that it's causing many religious individuals who happen to be gay to have a very difficult life. They're being asked to do something that is impossible and they're being told they're going to hell if they don't.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 10,073,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm not sure that I see any value in drifting away from the main concerns of the OP into a discussion regarding casual sex among gay people. I would only suggest that casual sex is not exactly a foreign concept to heteosexuals. Walk into any nightclub where young people like to hang out on a Saturday night and you'll see what I mean.
There's one key issue that's been brought up by a number of posts that's at the heart of the matter and that's the assertion that sexual orientation can be changed from homosexual to heterosexual. I suppose a person who is bisexual and is equally attracted to men and women might be able to live a heterosexual life but I don't believe that someone who has no attraction to the opposite sex can possibly acquire that attraction through some sort of therapy or by praying. That's completely unrealistic and it places an unfair burden on someone who's attempting to do such a thing because it's doomed to failure. As a heterosexual I can't imagine making my sexual desires just go away. It doesn't work that way, sexual desires are involuntary.
The other main issue is why should someone who is gay need to change their sexual desires in the first place? Of course we all know the answer to that one. It's the result of religious beliefs that have been ingrained in our culture which tell us that homosexuality is a moral issue and is a sin. I happen to believe that this viewpoint is based on the ignorance of human sexuality and that it's causing many religious individuals who happen to be gay to have a very difficult life. They're being asked to do something that is impossible and they're being told they're going to hell if they don't.
MG, I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on this statement, personally I see nothing wrong with what the OP is doing, I cannot see where it is doing any harm to anyone and I feel that the individual has the right to do what he thinks is right for him and not be swayed by all this so-called religious righteousness, to this individual he are doing what he feels is natural and as long as it does not harm other individuals who are we to disagree with their lifestyle when they are doing nothing wrong, what the so-called religious individuals are trying to do, is the proverbial changing of the leopard spots, well folks that can't be done and this person has the right to live their life without fear of repercussions. I may not agree with his lifestyle, but then again that's not my lifestyle it's yours to live as you see fit and that does not mean that we cannot be friends, it is not my job to judge your lifestyle, I wish you all the happiness in your endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality