U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,581,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Agreed.
Sometimes the subject matter takes a surprising turn and morphs into outrageous written posts of individuals who've claimed to have had supernatural revelations, visions, dreams, etc and how dare we question their source.

We're often left with wondering whether that source of the vision was from a spirit claiming to be a god, past history of drug use or mental illness, or whatever. This is the problem with these forums and anonymity here, you in reality don't know who or what you are actually dealing with. The bottom line is that common ground foundations for discussion are no longer a means or even basis for discussion when the Revelator insist their experience is legitimate proof and you have no right to question it. In thruth, I actually don't know the true source of anyone's vision.

It's about that time that you suddenly realize it's time to get out of Dodge!
noblesse oblige ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 AM

1 posts, read 612 times
okay, this thread is interesting in the sense that people are in essence arguing over opinions of which path or which God would be the one to follow. I can relate with the story of your journey and I am still in the process of finding or knowing the "truth" . Even though I have some differences of opinion with this thread, I will share my observations, which in essence would be my opinion - and hopefully positively received. What I see here is a grand transformation of an intellectual transcending to the next level and essentially transcending the need to be "right" with thinking and now have let that go to feel the burden of negative nay saying or the burden to prove something is not right, i.e. religion/God.
You are now open to other possibilities, and that is a wonderful thing and the more open you become, the more that heaviness of "Ego" as Eckhart Tolle refers to, will be shed and closer to the truth of what "being" actually is. What is the quote "To err is human...?" Err has a negative connotation, yes, and so does "Ego" Ego is attached to many ideas and thought patterns that we argue over points of whose God should be questioned? Who is more superior? And so on. The gnostics myth of Sophia and how there are several levels of knowing God is a good place to start to understand a little bit about where and how God is perceived - As it doesn't really question God. What I question is why does religions have to have their one and only God? My belief that there is a higher being - divine - God, but I realize that "man-made" religions have significance with partial truths and many analogies in mythical proportions. So when I question God - I do question "man" or the human - our true nature is not to fight - that is our Ego and so sensitive it is when we talk about these sensitive subjects. Be open and the light will shine through you.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,836,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myopinion2008 View Post
okay, this thread is interesting in the sense that people are in essence arguing over opinions of which path or which God would be the one to follow. I can relate with the story of your journey and I am still in the process of finding or knowing the "truth" . Even though I have some differences of opinion with this thread, I will share my observations, which in essence would be my opinion - and hopefully positively received. What I see here is a grand transformation of an intellectual transcending to the next level and essentially transcending the need to be "right" with thinking and now have let that go to feel the burden of negative nay saying or the burden to prove something is not right, i.e. religion/God.
You are now open to other possibilities, and that is a wonderful thing and the more open you become, the more that heaviness of "Ego" as Eckhart Tolle refers to, will be shed and closer to the truth of what "being" actually is. What is the quote "To err is human...?" Err has a negative connotation, yes, and so does "Ego" Ego is attached to many ideas and thought patterns that we argue over points of whose God should be questioned? Who is more superior? And so on. The gnostics myth of Sophia and how there are several levels of knowing God is a good place to start to understand a little bit about where and how God is perceived - As it doesn't really question God. What I question is why does religions have to have their one and only God? My belief that there is a higher being - divine - God, but I realize that "man-made" religions have significance with partial truths and many analogies in mythical proportions. So when I question God - I do question "man" or the human - our true nature is not to fight - that is our Ego and so sensitive it is when we talk about these sensitive subjects. Be open and the light will shine through you.
Thanks for that. Not bad.
Oops, I fed your ego.

I see that some Gnostics are trying to get rid of their ego's as if ego was a bad thing. I do not believe this.

Pride is part of ego. I notice that most seem to think this is a bad thing as well.

I then ask them if they should not take pride in their spouses, children, a job well done, their parents or their hard won gold medal in ping pong etc.

That is when they either do not come back because of shame of not being able to say NO.

People hate to learn or change their view publicly.

Do you not have pride in some of the issues noted.
Would you tell your spouse or children that you are not proud of them?

You might note as well that ego is what pushes us to wanting to be thinking right. The shame part of ego is what pushes us to strive to be better.

Still think ego should be gotten rid of?

Regards
DL

Old 04-26-2009, 08:22 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,581,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm feeling a strong sense of befuddlement about this thread.
a bit late, but it can still be fixed ...

Nag Hammadi Library

what "gnosis" actually meant, can be found here.

sometimes it's helpful to add a little old knowledge to hearsay and opinion.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality