U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How has This Forum changed your View??
It hasn't. 12 44.44%
It has!! I have been converted! (to or from religion) 0 0%
All its done is confirmed my view of the other side 6 22.22%
I have not converted but I gained respect for/perspective of the other side. 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
 
11,145 posts, read 13,529,717 times
Reputation: 4209

Advertisements

There are religious posters on this forum that demonstrate a strong integration of intellectual and faith - MysticPhD would be one.

There are religious fundamentalist posters on this forum whose responses can be predicted by their adherence to "I'm right. You're wrong" ideology.

No different than daily life. Some of the most loving, enlightened, progressive, and peaceful people I know are sisters and brothers of the Catholic church (I mean that literally - like nuns - no euphemistically). They find themselves struggling with the myopic views of their own institutionalized faith, but soldier onward.

So, it's no different for me in real life than it is here. We're progressing beyond all that fear and judgment, though. Nothing to do with whether one ascribes to a faith or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,627,476 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Religious followers (no matter what they follow) are products are indoctrinations and brainwashing. Part of their brains have been numbed and can not function normally. How is it possible to convince them there are lots of flaws in their faith? As they put it "faith is to ignore any evidence".

On the other hand, I am opened minded to religious ideas as an atheist. However, I demand rational thinking, facts and evidence support. With that, religions do not stand a chance.

So, you'll be the judge what the problem is.
I generally agree with these views - but open minded people shouldn't demand certain thoughts. Give up the demands and you'll be even more open (and no less skeptical).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,394,895 times
Reputation: 5442
DFW123 wrote:
Quote:
Religious followers (no matter what they follow) are products are indoctrinations and brainwashing. Part of their brains have been numbed and can not function normally.
Do you have any evidence to back up your claims by reputable scientists? Your comments about numbed and abnormal brains makes me think you're probably a teenager with bad grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Western Cary, NC
4,349 posts, read 6,485,786 times
Reputation: 7265
Last week I was talking with my sister in-law and the subject went to the non religious people in history and those we knew in our personal life. She mentioned a person we have both known for many years and said after her daughter’s death she rejected religion and god. Her view was no benevolent god would have done this to any child thus there was no god. It was not the path I took in making that decision, but reading the comment on part of the brain being numbed I had to wonder if a shock could wake a person up to the lack or reality in religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 PM
 
140 posts, read 177,371 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I generally agree with these views - but open minded people shouldn't demand certain thoughts. Give up the demands and you'll be even more open (and no less skeptical).
Not demanding "certain thoughts", I am demanding the most fundamentals of all thoughts: be logical and observe facts and evidences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
 
140 posts, read 177,371 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
DFW123 wrote:

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims by reputable scientists? Your comments about numbed and abnormal brains makes me think you're probably a teenager with bad grades.
Yes, I do. All Christians believe the universe was created in 7 days. This is absurd. They all got the same information through the same process: religious indoctrinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
 
11,145 posts, read 13,529,717 times
Reputation: 4209
^
That's not true. My father's a Christian and believes that the "7 days" was basically the process of evolution spread out over millions of years. They were not "days" in the sense we know them today. He is not alone in that belief.

Come on. If you're going to judge "all Christians" at least talk to a few that don't have TV or radio shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 06:55 PM
 
140 posts, read 177,371 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^
That's not true. My father's a Christian and believes that the "7 days" was basically the process of evolution spread out over millions of years. They were not "days" in the sense we know them today. He is not alone in that belief.

Come on. If you're going to judge "all Christians" at least talk to a few that don't have TV or radio shows.
This is another problem, everyone "interprets" it differently but under the same label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
 
2,955 posts, read 6,627,476 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Not demanding "certain thoughts", I am demanding the most fundamentals of all thoughts: be logical and observe facts and evidences.
Those are "certain thoughts".
I'm with you post-colon. I agree those are important rules. But pre-colon has a preconceived notion. Thoughts don't have fundamentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
 
140 posts, read 177,371 times
Reputation: 38
Well, instead of playing word game, let me just say that I am open to the God idea if someone can show me any evidence (in the Bible is not, that's a fictional book full of "created in 7 days" fictions) that it exists.

I do not recognize no-evidence type of faiths.

Not a preconceived notion -- not just you can not provide anything logical/convincing, no one in the human history had done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top