U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in a "higher force" like god or something else?
Yes, i do. 18 50.00%
No i don't. 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,161,399 times

Advertisements

I don't believe in a higher force of any kind. Higher farce, yes...George Carlin was a god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,503,447 times
Mrs. cncracer comes close, but I donít think that is what the poster was looking for. I voted NO.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,576,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernkomfort27 View Post
Yes I do! No crutch, no coincidence, I've had my prayers answered and benefited from God's love many times.
And how about the 35,000 children that starve to death every day in this world? God pays attention to super special you but doesn't give a carp about them? Give me a break.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:45 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,595,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I don't believe in a higher force of any kind. Higher farce, yes...George Carlin was a god.
the poll is asking for a belief without securing certitude of "higher force", so tend to stick to the farce for a while, although it may be a tragedy (my choice, i know).

Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,576,233 times
Define farce, I mean force. An old white guy with white hair sitting in a thrown in a white cloud throwing lighting bolts at evil doers and granting favors to those who perform certain rituals and incantation?

Or how about the mysterious force that created the universe and everything around us but doesn't seem to be getting our memos about crisis, hunger, violence, accidents, poverty, illness, death, etc etc etc? I'll go with door #2.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 PM

264 posts, read 699,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
And how about the 35,000 children that starve to death every day in this world? God pays attention to super special you but doesn't give a carp about them? Give me a break.
God is not the author of poverty, hunger, or disease. He has given everyone a free will to choose him to be a part of their life or not. I've asked God into my life and I believe in his word. There's nothing "super special" about receiving from God.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 PM

598 posts, read 812,557 times
I am not a big fan of "power".

Who needs a bearded man in robes in the sky with lots of "higher-power"?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,179,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Absolutely not. I am the captain of my own destiny, and I succeed or fail on my own merits and by my own hand.
I agree with this as well, but why does that preclude believing in God? I'm not a Christian or Jew or Muslim or practitioner of any other faith, but I believe in God. I've never read the Bible in its entirety and don't plan to, don't believe the Bible is the finite word of God. I don't believe ANY of us poor *******s knows all there is to know about God. I just believe that how I believe in God works for me...and works for my relationship with God.

I don't believe that God intervenes in my life, directly or indirectly. I don't picture God as some sort of divine puppet-master, controlling all us mere mortals down on earth.

If I pray to God, I do so because I find that prayer helps me focus my thoughts so that I can find the clarity that's already there, the strength that's already in me. I don't pray to God and expect for God to provide that clarity or strength. If I pray, it's because it feels good to just say "thank you." And sometimes I pray to God because it's nice to know someone's listening when I need to "think out loud."

I don't give God credit for the great things that happen on this earth -- beyond believing that all of creation is God's creation, and so God gets a sort of top-tier credit. I don't blame God for the bad stuff that happens. I don't believe that God rewards certain folks and punishes others. I don't "let go and let God" -- except that when I'm faced with something thorny and I dig deep inside myself for the wherewithal to overcome, I'm grateful to God for that bit of Godspark.

But I still believe in God, and having a belief in God is vital for my personal well-being. Religious dogma and faith in God are not necessarily the same thing. One can have one without the other. One can be the master of one's own destiny and still believe in God.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 PM

6,343 posts, read 8,518,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Define farce, I mean force. An old white guy with white hair sitting in a thrown in a white cloud throwing lighting bolts at evil doers and granting favors to those who perform certain rituals and incantation?

Or how about the mysterious force that created the universe and everything around us but doesn't seem to be getting our memos about crisis, hunger, violence, accidents, poverty, illness, death, etc etc etc? I'll go with door #2.

Okay, if GOD is not sentient, than how the heck could it "get the memo" about violence, death, hunger etc? If the ocean does not hear the cries of someone drowning it it, does that mean that the ocean does not exist, or does it mean that it simply isn't self-aware?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or