U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 AM

8,163 posts, read 12,827,732 times

Advertisements

By the request of "Freedom" i'll put this one out there. This question is geared more to the religious ones but all should feel free to answer. Considering that Christmas is based on the birth of Christ; should celebrating it the way it is commonly done be a form of sin/blasphemy? If you are honoring his birth wouldn't putting up trees,stockings, and honoring a false profit (Santa Claus) be the ultimate betrayal? Now this isn't my holiday and how you celebrate it is your option but if you are someone who goes strictly by the bible then this would have to be a sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:39 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,870,220 times
Christmas is only masquerading as a religious holiday. Not only is it not in the time of year when Jesus was supposedly born, it's become a generic family holiday based around gift-giving, eating, and socialization.

And it does seem a little strange how some Christians celebrate it, yes.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,518,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Christmas is only masquerading as a religious holiday. Not only is it not in the time of year when Jesus was supposedly born, it's become a generic family holiday based around gift-giving, eating, and socialization.

And it does seem a little strange how some Christians celebrate it, yes.
Yeah, but it sure is fun! Without all the Christmas lights, it would just be the dark days of the year.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,870,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, but it sure is fun! Without all the Christmas lights, it would just be the dark days of the year.
Never claimed it wasn't I like xmas just as much as the next person; I just don't waste my time claiming or celebrating it as a religious holiday.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,583,539 times
Hey OP, "Freedom" doesn't speak for him-?/herself?

i am on record with a few good friends for this childish wisdom:
sometimes, in hot mid-summer, we would just turn up the volume to the max for Joy to the World ...

and

ought not every day be a Christmas day?

in that sense, right now with some decency

to all who are constituting the c-d family (hey, my Never-miss BLUE, can you hear me?)

YouTube - winter into spring

Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,905,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
By the request of "Freedom" i'll put this one out there. This question is geared more to the religious ones but all should feel free to answer. Considering that Christmas is based on the birth of Christ; should celebrating it the way it is commonly done be a form of sin/blasphemy? If you are honoring his birth wouldn't putting up trees,stockings, and honoring a false profit (Santa Claus) be the ultimate betrayal? Now this isn't my holiday and how you celebrate it is your option but if you are someone who goes strictly by the bible then this would have to be a sin.

My wife and I put up some decorations, but we don't teach our kids about santa claus.

I don't see an issue with decorations. We're certainly not praying to the tree, or doing it for a pagan reason.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:42 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,518,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
My wife and I put up some decorations, but we don't teach our kids about santa claus.

I don't see an issue with decorations. We're certainly not praying to the tree, or doing it for a pagan reason.
I just see the tree as a nice symbol of hope and life in the darkest days of winter. Nothing religious about it at all. Isn't that the real point to it? Having something evergreen and with light?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,793,489 times
I'm a Christian and I don't associate Christmas with Christ in any way. It's a time we celebrate family, eat a lot, decorate for fun, and give a gift.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,827,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

I don't either. I mostly started this because the ultra religious people believe their views or opinion on sins is absolute.Based on that Christmas celebrated in the modern way would be a sin.I don't celebrate it because i'm jewish and if you did believe or taught your kids about Santa thats okay too, but you can't at the same time say that you adhere to the bible 100% and celebrate it this way.I do think Santa makes it fun for the kids and unfortunately my religion is based mainly on suffering, but it's very focused on the past. The fact is if you swear by the bible and you say that you must follow it EXACTLY then the thought of EVER mentioning or bringing into play Santa would be hypocrisy which is a SIN. This is why I think we have to interpret it in our own way and realize that what is written isn't always right!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:11 PM

589 posts, read 1,316,760 times
Quote>> The most common justification that one will hear regarding Christmas is that people have replaced old pagan customs and intents by asserting that they are now “focusing on Christ.” I have heard many say that they are “honoring Christ” in their Christmas-keeping. The problem is that God does not say this is acceptable to Him! Actually, He plainly commands against it! Keeping Christmas dishonors Christ! He considers everything about it to be an abomination! We will soon see why.

Christ said, “But in vain they do worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men” (Matt. 15:9). Christmas is not a command of God—it is a tradition of men. Christ continued, “Full well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your own tradition” (Mark 7:9). Every year, throughout the world, on December 25th, hundreds of millions do just that!

We will see that God plainly commands, “Follow not the way of the heathen.” But most people do not fear God, and He allows them to make their own decisions. Human beings are free moral agents—free to obey or disobey God! But woe to those who ignore the plain Word of God!>>

to read more:
The True Origin of Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality