U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM

857 posts, read 1,232,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
This is an old saying that I go by:

I would rather live my life believing in God and to die and find out that He does not exist and lose nothing, than to live my life not believing in God and die and find out that He does exist and lose everything.
So u r only religious because u fear the possible afterlife told to you by other people? Doesn't this show a lack of faith which is central to religion?? Ur only hedging ur bets and going to church because u think ul get credit and therefore not burn in hell?

U can believe in whatever religion u want, I am fine with that, but can we all please agree that at least hell was an invention of man??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,937,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
That begs the question : How do you know that a being doesn't put us here? Would you dare take that chance?
Everything that happens cannot be by chance. Evolution is just that - a theory. There's a person in the net that's putting holes into the evolution theory as we are speaking. Go to his site for more mind-breaking evidence

Approximately 95% of scientists in this world believe some form of evolution occurred...whether it be guided by some god or not. If that number was reversed, you Creationists would be all over it as undisputed evidence of God. Yet, when it goes against your beliefs, it's merely a theory with holes in it. One guy on the internet is poking holes in it. Yet you don't link to the thousands of scientists who show/support evidence for evolution.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,458,700 times
I've noticed that quite a few people did exactly what the person asked not to do(argue the existance of a god). It's a simple question guys:

What would you do if you found out that the god you believed in was not real?

Maybe people are afraid of thinking about the implications.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,357,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
So u r only religious because u fear the possible afterlife told to you by other people? Doesn't this show a lack of faith which is central to religion?? Ur only hedging ur bets and going to church because u think ul get credit and therefore not burn in hell?

U can believe in whatever religion u want, I am fine with that, but can we all please agree that at least hell was an invention of man??
Know I don't fear the possibility, and the statement that I made is not out of fear. That is how I see the situation. I choose to serve God, because I love Him. Going to church will not send you to heaven, God does that. I attend church because I worship God. I don't have a lack of faith, you have to have faith to serve God. I am not religious because of what people told me, I am serving God because of what He told me.

Hell is to complex for man to have invented it, lets get real. LOL

You choose to not serve or believe God, and that is fine. I choose to serve God. God has done to much for me and shows me daily.

I don't fear the afterlife or Hell, because there is life in Christ. I'm not hedging anything about church, you pulled that out of the air. I was simply talking about God and why I serve Him and how I would rather life my life.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,595,039 times
to the OP:

cannot be "exact" right now, since i cannot find the quote, perhaps someone will help me out ...

i think it was Rousseau saying that if God did not already exist, one would have to invent him.

i am saying that there is a hitherto unexplainable "power" which the ancient ones knew, but could not explain as we who have for the most part forgotten and/or lost it COULD and SHOULD (at least attempt to).

Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,444,938 times
braderjoe wrote:
Quote:
Evolution is just that - a theory. There's a person in the net that's putting holes into the evolution theory as we are speaking. Go to his site for more mind-breaking evidence
And who would this person be? People have been fighting the concept of evolution since Darwin wrote Origin of Species before the Civil War but no one has managed to prove it false.
But getting to the OP. I actually think that there are a large number of people whose lives are so attached to their religious beliefs that if through some means they were to suddenly understand that God really didn't exist I think many of them would commit suicide and I think one of my sisters might be one of them so I don't make that comment sarcastically. I don't see how a person could keep on going to church, praying and all of the other things that they associate with their faith if they suddenly knew it wasn't true.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM

8,163 posts, read 12,861,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
braderjoe wrote:

And who would this person be? People have been fighting the concept of evolution since Darwin wrote Origin of Species before the Civil War but no one has managed to prove it false.
But getting to the OP. I actually think that there are a large number of people whose lives are so attached to their religious beliefs that if through some means they were to suddenly understand that God really didn't exist I think many of them would commit suicide and I think one of my sisters might be one of them so I don't make that comment sarcastically. I don't see how a person could keep on going to church, praying and all of the other things that they associate with their faith if they suddenly knew it wasn't true.
You did it Montana!!!The major purpose of the question to determine if people could exist without religion. For a person who is Ultra Religious their world would be turned upside down if this came out that the almighty didn't exist.Our life on earth shouldn't be guided by fear of screwing up and not being let through the gates.This is like a kid cleaning their room only because they were promised a reward. As human beings we should be good and love one another regardless and NEVER judge someone because they're different.If you see someone in need try to help. If you see a lost dog think about the kid missing him,and not the thought of cashing in. It's good to believe in something and if religion makes you a better person great(sorry if I sound repetitive) but for us to be good to one another there shouldn't have to be anything that guides us to this.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,275,127 times
I'd have a good chuckle at all the wasted time and efforts people have made in the eons and not be real suprised, followed by finishing my cup of coffee made with beans grown and created by Nature, not dieties.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 AM

857 posts, read 1,232,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post

Hell is to complex for man to have invented it, lets get real. LOL

I don't fear the afterlife or Hell, because there is life in Christ. I'm not hedging anything about church, you pulled that out of the air. I was simply talking about God and why I serve Him and how I would rather life my life.
The part about hedging your bets comes from ur previous post about howd u would rather be religious and there not be an afterlife rather than not being religious and there being an afterlife... but maybe u were just making a point and it apparently doesnt really apply to u.

and as far as hell is concerned... whats complicated?? invent a place where u burn and are tormented for eternity and a red guy with a pitchfork makes sure ur eternity blows... sounds pretty simple

Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,275,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
...and as far as hell is concerned... whats complicated?? invent a place where u burn and are tormented for eternity and a red guy with a pitchfork makes sure ur eternity blows... sounds pretty simple
Agreed. If you read your history, Christians stole the aspect from the pagan religions. Greeks, Norse, Egyptian pantheons, existing centuries before Christianity all had a Hell-like place for bad people after they died, usually ruled by some powerful overseer, like Hela, Mars/Ares, Pluto, Anubis, amongst others. And it was always a place of fire and darkness under the ground. How cliche.

Satan wasn't the first "god of hell" as it were, just the latest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or