U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,937,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Quote:

It seems to me though it is fast going by way of gossip. I'm sure you have heard of the game of gossip where you get many people in a room. You get in a circle and the first person starts a sentence from something that is written on paper and that person whispers what is on the paper to the person next to them and so on until the last person. Then the last person says what has been whispered to them and you compare it to what is written on the paper to see how close what is said, is what is on the paper.

From what I have seen written on these forums in people's discussions, I'm sorry I am of a different opinion. I feel as though the bible has been rewritten so many times no one knows what it says any more.
The dead sea scrolls are proof that the bible has not changed for over 2000 years. Since Jesus who is God was on earth and quoting the bible at the time, don't you think he would have said "Hey who's messed up my letter!" Rather he verified it to the tense of the verb. He referred to each Jot and tittle being correct (which are the pronounciation marks).

If Jesus said the bible was correct who are we to say that it is incorrect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:21 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,937,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Updating the Bible to fit with current times? How novel (no pun) a concept. I mean we update everything else. Why not that. It wierd how fast people cling to something so ancient and treat it all so literal without any second thought.
We do this already, that is why we have many translations in English alone.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,934,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
So why did he not allow it to be written in a way that would be understood by all people of all time?
Language and knowledge changes over time. That's just the way things are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
in which time this canon established ?

I believe our Cannon was established around the third century.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:03 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,396,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Language and knowledge changes over time. That's just the way things are.
True, this is the way things are. This is why the bible is impossible to translate accurately, why there are so many versions and why so many people argue over interpretation. So why didn't God realize this would happen when he chose to give us the word in languages that have been dead for centuries?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:36 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The dead sea scrolls are proof that the bible has not changed for over 2000 years. Since Jesus who is God was on earth and quoting the bible at the time, don't you think he would have said "Hey who's messed up my letter!" Rather he verified it to the tense of the verb. He referred to each Jot and tittle being correct (which are the pronounciation marks).

how did he said that the bible is correct if the bible written after his rise ?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

I believe our Cannon was established around the third century.
thank you for your answer , it was earlier than i thought actually

but anyway do you agree with me that There existed many different Bibles during the time of the Roman Emperor, Constantine, which were widely believed in by different Christian sects in the year 312. In other words, during the first 3 centuries of "Christianity" (300 years), many different canons with 100s of books/gospels combined existed! ?

That is a lot of canons, a lot of books/gospels, and a lot of time (300 years) of different Christian religions existed.

Also, Constantine's own "unified canon or bible" got lost and only small portions of it were found! So what we have today from "Bible(s)" are not even Constantine's books.

and don't forget the fact that Arabia for example was never part Rome's empire, and the fact that Jews and Christians existed among the Arabs and the fact that early Christians had many canons that were conflicting with each others proves that The Scriptures that the Jews and Christians possessed in that time were not just limited to the Constantine's Bible, especially that the Arabs, like I mentioned, were never under Rome's rulership.

by the way this is one of reasons that muslims thinks that It is quite possible and very highly probable that the early Christians who had the Scriptures that agreed with Islam's claims, such as Jesus never got crucified and a Prophet was going to come after Jesus, fled to Arabia due to the fear that the new Trinitarian Emperor, Constantine, would persecute them as the Jews suffered in the past before Jesus' birth from the same Romans.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:22 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,880,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
how did he said that the bible is correct if the bible written after his rise ?
Because Jesus wasn't talking about the New Testament. He was talking about the Scripture with which he was already familiar.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Because Jesus wasn't talking about the New Testament. He was talking about the Scripture with which he was already familiar.
ooh , thank you for your correction , i thought he meant NT

Old 02-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Status: "Watching the World Wake Up from History" (set 16 days ago)

7,677 posts, read 4,093,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post

I'm not saying Jesus messed up the Bible. The Bible was written by man through the spiritual guidance of the Holy Spirit. (I or II Timothy KJV)

People today are revising the original text from the English version of the KJV and something must be getting lost in the translation, since no one seems to know what it says any more and there are countless hours of debates over it.

Apparently understanding the verb tense must be a very difficult to do and I say this after reading hours of debated issues on 'what does the Bible say exactly?' on this CD-forums and others all across the Internet.

It's either lost in the verb tense or we love redefining stuff so much, confusion is fast becoming a way of life by choice.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,091,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Are you looking for an answer or are you here just to flame ? Seriously..

Osama doesn't use the bible, he uses the Koran ... completely different book. How he interprets the Koran is also said to be wrong by Muslims. That has nothing to do with your question regarding Psalms .. which are poetry and song.

When you say "watch the sun rise" do you mean the sun actually rises?? No, because the sun doesn't move, the Earth moves. We say sunrise from our perspective. When you say "four corners of the Earth" does the earth really have four corners? No, because it is a sphere. The same literary principle applies to the verse you posted.
We know more today than the people who wrote the Bible. It would be unfair to apply today's knowledge to what was being said so many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality