Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:57 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The writers were inspired, but in very few places of the Bible are the words dictated word for word.

God allowed the writers to put some of their own styles into it. He also allowed them to speak in language that would be understood by the people of the time.

you are under estimating God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:58 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
you are under estimating God

How so?

Read the letters of Paul, Peter, James, etc. He allowed many personal comments by them.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
Can you move the earth from her orbit? It is set in place just as it should be. built on the foundation of wisdom, built on the rock of ages, built on the chief cornerstone.

you have one valid point against three valid points

the earth rotate around its axle
the earth move around the sun
the earth moves with the movement of the sun around the galaxy

in the quran there are more than one verse point to movement of the earth

In this sign (verse) there is a very strong indication for the rotation
of the earth

"Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed,
but they pass like the passing of the clouds,
(such is) the artistry of God, who disposes of all things in perfect order,
for he is well acquainted with all that ye do. (The Noble Quran, 27:88)"

sura #21
the moon moves around the earth and the earth moves around the sun and the sun moves around the galaxy.

And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They float, each in an orbit. (33)

Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
And so, once again, a discussion about the Bible has been co-opted by a treatise in favor of the Quran.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,302 times
Quote:
The writers were inspired, but in very few places of the Bible are the words dictated word for word.

God allowed the writers to put some of their own styles into it. He also allowed them to speak in language that would be understood by the people of the time.

exactly , that's what i believe happened with the bible , i agree
and that's why there are very mush contrdictions in the bible
becuase God allowed writers to use thier own style which differ from one and another and differ from time to another time , which made the writers from generation to another insert thier style in the words of God , which consequently became the words of writers ( unknown writers )

Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
exactly , that's what i believe happened with the bible , i agree
and that's why there are very mush contrdictions in the bible
which contradictions are those?

He inspired--so I believe it's error-free. But he did allow the writers to put their own style in it.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Default Bible vs. Gossip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Bible was written in the old days with outdated human knowledge. Read this:

It says earth was laid on foundation like house, and it can never be moved.

Well, as you all know, earth is a moving and free spinning ball in space. Shouldn't there be some new "wisdom words" in the Bible replacing the old?
They've been re-writing the bible for too many decades now to count. and each time you will find something worded differently. Even now you quote and updated version of the KJV, then before that is was in Hebrew and Greek and then I don't know how may versions there are these days, because I don't keep up with the translation.

It seems to me though it is fast going by way of gossip. I'm sure you have heard of the game of gossip where you get many people in a room. You get in a circle and the first person starts a sentence from something that is written on paper and that person whispers what is on the paper to the person next to them and so on until the last person. Then the last person says what has been whispered to them and you compare it to what is written on the paper to see how close what is said, is what is on the paper.

Now you know what they say about gossip? Could be the intention of people all along, get the Word of God so distorted no one knows what to believe in any more.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
They've been re-writing the bible for too many decades now to count. and each time you will find something worded differently. Even now you quote and updated version of the KJV, then before that is was in Hebrew and Greek and then I don't know how may versions there are these days, because I don't keep up with the translation.
Simply not true.

It was originally Greek and Hebrew. The versions we have today are not simply rewrites of rewrites. They're based off of the original texts.
Quote:

It seems to me though it is fast going by way of gossip. I'm sure you have heard of the game of gossip where you get many people in a room. You get in a circle and the first person starts a sentence from something that is written on paper and that person whispers what is on the paper to the person next to them and so on until the last person. Then the last person says what has been whispered to them and you compare it to what is written on the paper to see how close what is said, is what is on the paper.
That's just not what has happened here.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,263,302 times
Quote:
which contradictions are those?

He inspired--so I believe it's error-free. But he did allow the writers to put their own style in it.

what is the meaning of that " God allowed them to put thier own style in it " ?
you know !! God allowed men to disblieve in him either
it dosn't mean that it's okey to alter or make additions in his word unless if God thought that his inspiration to the writers not sufficient and not perfect and need some works from humans over him .

Last edited by elwill; 02-20-2009 at 01:41 AM..

Old 02-20-2009, 02:19 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
what is the meaning of that " God allowed them to put thier own style in it " ?
you know !! God allowed men to disblieve in him either
it dosn't mean that it's okey to alter or make additions in his word unless if God thought that his words in the bible not sufficient and not perfect and need some works from humans over him .
Everybody has a different style of writting, much like the posters on this forum writting about the same events and if possible staying close to the same line of thought. Though, on this forum that is definitely rare. Sometimes you can pick out the posters who use proxies for their hidden agendas on any of these forums by their same style of writting. I know because I use to investigate ponzi scams and could pick out the same scammer by his style of writting, though he'd be using a different username.

The same is true of the Biblical writters. Moses for example had his own style of writting as many literary scholars can attest to. The important thing is that they all stuck to the Bible's theme which was first outlined in it's purpose for being written in the first place at Genisis 3:15. I believe that is the first prophecy given in the Bible for which we are still waiting for an answer from your side as to how it is addressed inside the Quran. To date, it continues to allude and remain as a mystery as to how this is answered by your side.

In the case of the four Gospel writers, their own styles and different observations of the same event are indeed interesting and do not conflict. I could commission four of this very forum's most pronounced atheists to write down their observations on a specific scientific experiment for which I have knowledge of. Perhaps something of microbiology with regard to mycorrhizal applications into the commercial forest plant production in a nursery in a controlled environmental setting with and without innoculations of fungal spores on two groups of the same species of pine seedlings . Each observer over time would have their own style of writting. They would also take note of different aspects of the same experiment for which they were intrigued and found interest in. They would not all comment exactly, word for word on the same observations, but they'd all be correct in what they no doubt did observe in the experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality