Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 02:34 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It's presented as Gehenna was known by the Jews in Jerusalem...basically a fire pit where the fire never goes out and the worms always have food to eat. It was basically a trash pile that was continuously burning.
I don't know that anyone has a definitive meaning of it--but only that it will not be pleasant.
Nothing alive was throw into that fiery garbage pit ( Gehenna ). What was thrown into Gehenna ( garbage pit ) was destroyed forever, and Not kept burning forever. So Gehenna ( English KJV hellfire ) was a fitting symbol for : destruction as in ' the wicked will be destroyed forever ' - Psalm 92:7
Even wicked sinner Satan will be 'destroyed forever' by Jesus - Hebrews 2:14 B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 02:38 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Not all Christians believe in hell.
If I may take the liberty to add No ' genuine ' Christian believes in a non-biblical hell teaching.
The Bible's hell ( KJV English ) is just mankind's temporary grave until Resurrection Day.
Resurrection Day: Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over Earth when there will be a resurrection.... Acts 24:15

Old 09-17-2016, 03:16 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Since it is the most feared among the religious, I do want to ask a question:

What kind of fire are we talking about? Fire is an oxidation process: chemical reactions involving earth atmosphere oxygen and some fuels. Where are we talking about?
Bodies are traditionally buried underground, to hide the smell of decay and prevent the bodies from being scavenged by animals. This led to the belief in the underworld as the land of the dead. And it is clear from volcanoes and volcanic vents that the underworld is a land of burning sulfur and molten lava. In Greek mythology this was the underworld, the land of Hades. The early Jews traditionally buried their dead in the valley of Hinnom, known as Gehenna. This later evolved into the Jewish concept of Sheol, the land of the dead. Which then evolved into the Christian concept of hell. In Christian mythology hell is only for the wicked and unrighteous who burn in fiery sulfur and molten lava, but being already dead, are destined to burn eternally. This story has the desired effect on children and the child-like.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:20 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHPVDRXKGfc

Old 09-17-2016, 04:51 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtexan View Post
HELL is not real. In fact, it's the biggest man made lie to control the masses and it seems to be working pretty well because they are falling for it hook line and sinker. I believe in God, but to believe that our Creator would throw someone in HELL for all eternity is ruining the loving character of God. It makes God worse than Satan. Do you really think that God would disobey something he told us to do.?? Love our enemies? John 3:16....**** for whosoever believeth in me shall not perish but have everlasting life. It DOES NOT SAY whosoever believeth in me shall not spend eternity in hell...
The Bible has been mistranslated for centuries to control the masses. For Biblical refencerces...let me know...The word HELL was never used in the copies of the original scriptures. NEVER
Why do people resurrect seven-year-old threads?

Old 09-17-2016, 09:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Since it is the most feared among the religious, I do want to ask a question:

What kind of fire are we talking about? Fire is an oxidation process: chemical reactions involving earth atmosphere oxygen and some fuels. Where are we talking about?

What kind of audience are you preaching to?

Here's an example. There was a great Spanish writer story about a preacher, so great, that he was called Golden Mouth.
That preacher was invited to the coldest town in Spain, somewhere up high in the mountains, where water never thaws.
Sunday comes, excited parochi is waiting and here he is, the great preacher, climbing to the stand.
Local priest is besdie him.
Preacher announces that today, he's like to preach on hell.
So he starts with - that hell is the coldest place known to humanity.
Wish I remembered all the words he used to describe hell as cold, colder and coldest place a human mind may possibly imagine - to great horror of the local priest.
But, towards the end of his sermon, people, cloaked in fear and horror, crowded to the stand, confessing their sins and bagging for mercy.
Sermon is over, Golden Mouth retires to priests room, where he has some warm food and drink.
priest is agitated beyond any measure. Father, he yells at the preacher, how could you! Everything you said, though took great effect, is against the Bible as hell is full of fire!
Preacher chuckles and says - sure. but you just imagine, what would have happened, should I have said this to YOUR parochi?

So, OP. What audience are you preaching to?

Old 09-17-2016, 10:18 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
hell may be feared with some religions, but I am a Christian and have no fear about hell, now non believes should be afraid with GOOD reason.
Be afraid, ye non-belibers. BE VERY AFRAID!!!

Old 09-17-2016, 10:27 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Worse than that, what word from John 3:16 could get bleeped by the censors??????

Old 09-18-2016, 12:41 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why not? At the end of all old threads we have...

Old 09-18-2016, 12:47 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why not? At the end of all old threads we have...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality