U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2011, 04:19 PM
 
285 posts, read 248,790 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Where are you quoting this "Lot" story from? Certainly not from the Book of Genesis - where it is found.

Despite the later interpretation you are putting forward, in an "Always-So-Story", the plain sense of the text found in Genesis condemns the inhabitants of Sodom more for their inhospitality, than for their sexual habits. Immediately prior to the episode, the dichotomy is shown in how Abraham treats his 3 guests (not knowing, at first, their divine status) and how Lot treats his 2 guests (not knowing, at first, their divine status) and how the city treats the 2 messengers.

A further correlation is shown in the tale in the Book of Judges in which the inhospitality of the Benjamites is shown in the Priest/Concubine Story that started the massacre of the Benjamites.

So - going from a plain reading of the text, you are incorrect when you claim that "God perished a folk wholly because of 'homosexuality' which they did". Only by ignoring this plain sense, it's Ancient Near Eastern context and using a much later interpretation - can you insist that it's "wholly" about homosexuality. That may have been a factor - but it was not the most important factor, if the Book of Genesis is to be trusted.
whoppers, what I wrote it is origin gods talking to human and origin adventure of Lots folk in Sodom. That nation perished because of homosexuality no inhospitality if not, god never does punishment a nation for inhospitality. That three gusts were three angel in shape of very beautiful young , they had come behalf god to eradicate that folk and destroy their town (I can't explain all the adventure now because my English is not fast and perfect ,also it is late and I am tired ) that angels came to Lots house and said to him : you and your family (his daughters ) go out from city at morn and keep away how much is possible because this city and all its population will be destroyed. when Lot and his daughter went out from that city and went far away that angels destroyed that city and perished that folk entirely I have heard that angels separated that city from ground and raised it up to height then overturned it and knocked it to ground hardly as didn't remain any sign of that city and its habitancy That view was so as terrific nobody could tolerate seeing it.

Last edited by Manss; 12-19-2011 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2011, 04:31 PM
 
25,403 posts, read 24,169,505 times
Reputation: 23804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manss View Post
whoppers, what I wrote it is origin gods talking to human and origin adventure of Lots folk in Sodom. That nation perished because of homosexuality no inhospitality if not, god never does punishment a nation for inhospitality. That three gusts were three angel in shape of very beautiful young , they had come behalf god to eradicate that folk and destroy their town (I can't explain all the adventure now because my English is not fast and perfect ,also it is late and I am tired ) that angels came to Lots house and said to him : you and your family (his daughters ) go out from city at morn and keep away how much is possible because this city and all its population will be destroyed. when Lot and his daughter went out from that city and went far away that angels destroyed that city and perished that folk entirely I have heard that angels separated that city from ground and raised it up to height then overturned it and knocked it to ground hardly as didn't remain any sign of that city and its habitancy That view was so as terrific nobody could tolerate seeing it.

Actually, the story is: Lot talked them down to "...if there is even ONE righteous man in the city," ...then God wouldn't destroy it. Again according to the story, there was not one single righteous man there, once Lot vacated.

Obviously, there were no babies nor pregnant women in the city... Unless THOSE were sinning too. My goodness, in that case the place would have rivaled today's L.A.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,703,882 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Right so explain why we have no tsunamis, hurricanes (cyclones in the southern hemisphere) earthquakes or any other natural disaster here in South Africa? Gay marriage is legal here since 1995ish. Nothing has happened untoward since then.

You call yourself a theologian but methinks you are a quack. You have no idea of the real story of Sodom and Gomorrah, just what your incorrect translation covers. For someone claiming to be a theologian, your knowledge is pretty scant.

Natural disasters are natural, no gods responsible. We know what causes them and we know how weather works.
you left out that he is also a bad speller. aided in part because english is not his primary language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,150,372 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manss View Post
whoppers, what I wrote it is origin gods talking to human and origin adventure of Lots folk in Sodom. That nation perished because of homosexuality no inhospitality if not, god never does punishment a nation for inhospitality. That three gusts were three angel in shape of very beautiful young , they had come behalf god to eradicate that folk and destroy their town (I can't explain all the adventure now because my English is not fast and perfect ,also it is late and I am tired ) that angels came to Lots house and said to him : you and your family (his daughters ) go out from city at morn and keep away how much is possible because this city and all its population will be destroyed. when Lot and his daughter went out from that city and went far away that angels destroyed that city and perished that folk entirely I have heard that angels separated that city from ground and raised it up to height then overturned it and knocked it to ground hardly as didn't remain any sign of that city and its habitancy That view was so as terrific nobody could tolerate seeing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Actually, the story is: Lot talked them down to "...if there is even ONE righteous man in the city," ...then God wouldn't destroy it. Again according to the story, there was not one single righteous man there, once Lot vacated.

Obviously, there were no babies nor pregnant women in the city... Unless THOSE were sinning too. My goodness, in that case the place would have rivaled today's L.A.!

I still don't know where you're both getting your information.
In the Book of Genesis (our primary version), it is Abraham who talks to Yahweh and gets him to agree not to destroy the city if "ten innocent" are found. Not just "one man", and the conversation was not with Lot.
And as for the hospitality issue - I can only suggest that you broaden your reading of the story, re-read it with the other parts I suggested, and stop relying on whatever later interpretation is re-writing the story.

It seems like there is some creative writing going on here that is not remaining faithful to the original story in the form we have it now in the Hebrew Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Western Washington
7,789 posts, read 7,555,881 times
Reputation: 13515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manss View Post
fishbrains , I bring an example out of all religions and opinions logically although gods explanation is enough to coming back from this dangerous situation (gods anger area).
Have you seen any jackass jump on other jackass in nature ? or other animals do such ? May it has been happened rarely in some places which there had not been any jennet for lust and copulation but generally animals doesn't perform such unnaturally action because a jackass innately understand other jackasses are not suitable for copulation and offspring. So how human can do such vain act while he is upon of all creatures due to his wisdom and dignity ?if 10 command has been delivered behalf god , those should boost value of humanity no human move in opposite way to it. I have heard when a man does such unlawful action heaven start shaking and it provoke anger of lord.
Actually, I have seen homosexual behavior in animals a few times. But do not take my word for it, lets go with Google Scholar, which in one hit gives 28,200 results.

As for the rest of your post, I am sorry but I cannot respond, as I cannot understand it. My guess would be that English is not your first language. I do not mean that to be an insult, as any attempt that I made to communicate in a language other than English would be poor at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 06:45 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,150,372 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Actually, I have seen homosexual behavior in animals a few times. But do not take my word for it, lets go with Google Scholar, which in one hit gives 28,200 results.

As for the rest of your post, I am sorry but I cannot respond, as I cannot understand it. My guess would be that English is not your first language. I do not mean that to be an insult, as any attempt that I made to communicate in a language other than English would be poor at best.

He's saying that when a man engages in homosexual activity, the heavens shake and God gets angry - and this is where thunder and lightning come from.

My science teacher was clearly mistaken in his explanation! We've had weather-control dooms-day devives all along - they have been right under our noses the whole time. I think it's time that we harness this power!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 AM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,240,875 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
He's saying that when a man engages in homosexual activity, the heavens shake and God gets angry - and this is where thunder and lightning come from.

My science teacher was clearly mistaken in his explanation! We've had weather-control dooms-day devives all along - they have been right under our noses the whole time. I think it's time that we harness this power!
Well if that is the case, Whacko Rick Perry should have had a "gay in orgy" instead of a prayer gathering in hopes of making it rain earlier this year.

After his group talking to invisible friend gathering, the whole dang state went up in flames. Or perhaps god did here Rick Perry, but god doesn't like Rick Perry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 AM
 
3,488 posts, read 3,150,372 times
Reputation: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Well if that is the case, Whacko Rick Perry should have had a "gay in orgy" instead of a prayer gathering in hopes of making it rain earlier this year.

After his group talking to invisible friend gathering, the whole dang state went up in flames. Or perhaps god did here Rick Perry, but god doesn't like Rick Perry.
He didn't get the chance to talk to Manss, so he lost a golden opportunity of doing a good rain "dance".

I can imagine Rick Perry showing up at the Pearly Gates, only to be told that "The Big Man doesn't like you. SCRAM."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: playing in the colorful Colorado dirt
4,486 posts, read 4,333,819 times
Reputation: 6932
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
He's saying that when a man engages in homosexual activity, the heavens shake and God gets angry - and this is where thunder and lightning come from.

My science teacher was clearly mistaken in his explanation! We've had weather-control dooms-day devives all along - they have been right under our noses the whole time. I think it's time that we harness this power!
We need a sub forum for conspiracy theorists. A nice little place with happy colors on the virtual walls and calm people to help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,727,451 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by evets View Post
I the THREAD STARTER of this THREAD ,was on Paranormal Palace Radio with Royce Holleman aka MRParanormal on December 10 2011 and talked about some of the things I have posted on in this thread. Some New Developments and Information.
The real natural disaster was reviving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top