U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,855,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
the one that claims that there is no God.
Durrrrr, it's not a religion if they have no "god".

(even Buddhism is about the "god within", though Buddhism is the least insane of the cults that masquerade as religions)

Tell me, what is your big proof that "god" even exists?

For me, the religions that are the most absurd are all of them that promote the worship of some false diety, some BS Fairy Tales and moral codes without any specific reason. Christianity is one of the worst of these, especially with all the murder and ignorance that has flourished in the name of Christianity.

But then again, anyone who believes that prayer has ANY effect at all needs serious mental help. If I slit my wrists by accident and pray for it to heal, I will die unless helped by someone else. If I trust science and put pressure on the wound and go to a doctor to stitch it up, I will live. Ever notice how the poorest areas with the most disasters (tornado alley, hurricane land) tend to be the most religious? Wouldn't "god" protect his most devout and destroy the horrible secularists in those places like Amsterdam, New York, London, San Francisco and Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,160,429 times
Quote:
atheism is a philosophy that helps shape your world-view.

Dictionary.com defines it as: a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.

The fact that you spend a lot of time on the "Religion and Philosophy" forum debating it leads me to believe that yes--it is a rather important philosophy in your life.
Atheism has no "system of principles for guidance in practical affairs", so you're still incorrect. As far as spending time here, it's amusing like a train wreck. When I'm not stuck in front of a computer, I don't pay a bit of attention to people like you.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,920,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Atheism has no "system of principles for guidance in practical affairs", so you're still incorrect. As far as spending time here, it's amusing like a train wreck. When I'm not stuck in front of a computer, I don't pay a bit of attention to people like you.

You have one major "principle" in your "system of principles for guidance in all practical affairs". It's that there is no God that will hold you accountable for what you do.

And you spend a lot of time here debating your philosophy with us.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 PM

732 posts, read 3,779,583 times
when you drink wine at church like blood... cannibals

Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I'll agree with you on that...when you're bored out of your mind (I work in an industry where we have a lot of stops and starts...long periods with little to do, then long periods where we're completely swamped), sometimes it is a great waste of time to come and debate religion. I can't debate religion with most people I know because it's too controversial and wouldn't be prudent in the office or in social situations, but here it's fair game. I also post about laws, politics, finances and even my adorable puppy here on CD.

The other thing that really bothers me about Christians is the "one day you will learn the truth" threat they always use to try and scare us into believing.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
You have one major "principle" in your "system of principles for guidance in all practical affairs". It's that there is no God that will hold you accountable for what you do.

Yeah, instead we hold ourselves accountable for our own actions. I don't kill, steal, rape, or do anything else to harm another and I don't need an imaginary friend to tell me to be that way. If "god" is the only thing keeping you from being a murderer, you belong in an institution. If not, what do you need "god" for other than to comfort yourself about what happens after you die (your body rots and decomposes, which includes your brain and consciousness and you are not magically transported to "heaven") and to help you live through the crappiness of life without breaking down?

Ever notice how most born-again Christians have had some terrible tragedy and then used "god" as a crutch to emerge from it because they were too weak to do it alone?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM

2,837 posts, read 4,044,278 times
Quote:

I find this amusing "God has to hold one accountable", why? This God of yours is responsible for creating the entire cosmos and this God is worried what I'm doing. I live by the concept of "do no harm" not because I'm worried that God is going to hold me accountable, it because it's my way to live. I extend a hand to everyone, not based on what they believe in, but it's based on my view that all things have a right to live their life.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 PM

21,303 posts, read 20,993,664 times
I don't understand Christians who say that God has decided who to save and who to damn before anyone even gets a shot at life.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:03 PM

30 posts, read 43,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Yeah, instead we hold ourselves accountable for our own actions. I don't kill, steal, rape, or do anything else to harm another and I don't need an imaginary friend to tell me to be that way.
You obviously do have an imaginary friend that tells you NOT to do those things. Where does the feeling that it's wrong come from?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:09 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,160,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcferry View Post
You obviously do have an imaginary friend that tells you NOT to do those things. Where does the feeling that it's wrong come from?
It's not difficult to be able to discern right actions from wrong actions.

If you can't do that without a deity involved, then I submit that those who do not believe in deities, yet still do the right things, are on a far higher plane of existence and enlightenment than you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or