U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM

985 posts, read 2,307,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I have a hard time feeling sorry for atheists whining....sorry. Atheists today tend to be rather rude and obnoxious to Christians. Perhaps I should have been a little more diplomatic.
And some Christians tend to be rude to Atheists. That doesn't mean I, or any other atheist, can't sympathize when a Christian is treated unfairly. I don't understand your point. You can take the phrase "[insert group here] tend to..." and apply it to any group. That doesn't make it okay to be happy when that group is discriminated against. You do realize that's partly how slavery was justified, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,162,137 times
Quote:
I have a hard time feeling sorry for atheists whining....sorry. Atheists today tend to be rather rude and obnoxious to Christians. Perhaps I should have been a little more diplomatic.
Well, after centuries of being oppressed by religious wackos, I think we've gotten a little tired of it and we're finally pushing back. Justifiably so, too.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,923,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Well, after centuries of being oppressed by religious wackos, I think we've gotten a little tired of it and we're finally pushing back. Justifiably so, too.

I don't think you'll win if we decide to start counting the martyrs among our people groups.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I don't think you'll win if we decide to start counting the martyrs among our people groups.
Who's talking about "winning" anything? We just want equality. And I daresay that xtians have killed an awful lot of people for not believing, but when was the last time you heard of an atheist going on a rampage and shooting up a bunch of church ladies?

Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,585,793 times
1. Starting your post with "boo hoo" suggests you seek to insult any who oppose discrimination against Atheists.

2. Your personal feelings toward Atheists is irrelevant under the law. That's kind of why laws are there. Imagine if we prevented homosexuals from participating as full-fledged citizens just because... oh wait. Bad example.

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it."

Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,972,858 times
Quote:
It is not establishing a religion, though, is it? Nor is it preventing a religion from being practiced, is it? Unless you consider atheism to be a religion...
It's discrimination. It has nothing to do with the practice of religion. It's a law made to discriminate against those who are different.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:53 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,923,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It's discrimination. It has nothing to do with the practice of religion. It's a law made to discriminate against those who are different.

so?

the law does not establish a religion or prevent anyone from practicing.

More than anything, I'm just yanking your chain....truth be told, I don't want a litmus test like this. I'd rather have politicians being open about their lack of belief than to have them pretend to be what they are not.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:55 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,972,858 times
Quote:
Maybe you see it as a law that prevents persecution of christians. Your responses surely seem smugly selfish.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,459,890 times
I think that the religious interested in something other than trolling these threads will agree that politics and religion do not mix.

Why can't we all have equal rights?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I think that the religious interested in something other than trolling these threads will agree that politics and religion do not mix.

Why can't we all have equal rights?
Because Jesus hates gays, atheists, and anyone who is not a Christian?

(just kidding of course, but that's how the fundies make it seem sometimes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality