Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does God change?
No, He is the Lord, and changes not. 24 51.06%
Obviously! And it's not sacrilegious to say so either. 4 8.51%
God is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and may His Noodly Self never change. Fettuccini. 16 34.04%
Yes, and about time too. Time for Holy Tide with color safe bleach! 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:39 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
YES! It's mind boggling to me when people say all these things about how mean God is, and they don't have a clue as to who He is or what He is like. That's like me saying a stranger on the street is mean, I don't know them so could I possibly say what they are like?
I'll tell you what's even more mind boggling! People who know the differences in the OT and NT yet sit there and say how god is exactly the same in both books!

And some of us pulled away from church because we actually sat down and started reading the bible for ourselves without some preacher telling us "what it really says."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh I beg differ my good man. OT God: mean, vengeful, unloving, willing to smite any who displeased him (whether they deserved it or not). NT God: Patient, loving, good natured, forgiving etc...
Wow, I suspect this means that gawd is bi-polar and changes his mind on an hourly basis, at least a regularly irregular basis,....maybe if he got more fiber in his diet he wouldn't be so irregular, like I've always said, "tain't nuttin more dangerous than a gawd with irritable bowel syndrome!!!" And.....gawd bein' all wise etc. etc. etc. should know that they got medication for bi-polarisms, he just needs to get his meds adjusted, uh,....after he gets his bowels right.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:10 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
I'll tell you what's even more mind boggling! People who know the differences in the OT and NT yet sit there and say how god is exactly the same in both books!

And some of us pulled away from church because we actually sat down and started reading the bible for ourselves without some preacher telling us "what it really says."
That's the problem, reading the Bible without the help of the Holy Spirit. Of course it seems mind boggling to you, just as a tone deaf person cannot appreciate music, a person without the Holy Spirit cannot understand God.

1 Corinthians 2:14 "But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means".

Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That's the problem, reading the Bible without the help of the Holy Spirit. Of course it seems mind boggling to you, just as a tone deaf person cannot appreciate music, a person without the Holy Spirit cannot understand God.

1 Corinthians 2:14 "But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means".
This certainly does smack of religious eliteism to me, if you are not in the "club" then you are damned, and there is nothing you can do to become a member in the club, kinda puts the lie to humble christers.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
This certainly does smack of religious eliteism to me, if you are not in the "club" then you are damned, and there is nothing you can do to become a member in the club, kinda puts the lie to humble christers.

much eye rubbing .... clubbing felt nonetheless!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
What do you mean there is nothing you can do? The choice is yours. Acts 16:30-31 "He brought them out and asked, sirs what must I do to be saved? They replied believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, along with your entire household". It's really not difficult.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:

God never changed, unless you want to count that He came in flesh, that is the only difference. Jesus was in Heaven in the OT. Jesus is the same today and yesterdays, but in the NT He walked the earth, in the OT, He was in heaven with the Father, because they are one.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
God never changed, unless you want to count that He came in flesh, that is the only difference. Jesus was in Heaven in the OT. Jesus is the same today and yesterdays, but in the NT He walked the earth, in the OT, He was in heaven with the Father, because they are one.
So if god never changed then answer these questions.
1.) Why does god not deal with people anymore by slaughtering thousands at a time for being bad?
2.) Is there a scripture that says god no longer deals with people in that manner?
3.) Why did Jesus not stone the woman at the well to death like the law said to? I mean he was god right? It was god's law to stone her! Or were those NOT god's laws in the OT? But the laws of men made to control people?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
So if god never changed then answer these questions.
1.) Why does god not deal with people anymore by slaughtering thousands at a time for being bad?
2.) Is there a scripture that says god no longer deals with people in that manner?
3.) Why did Jesus not stone the woman at the well to death like the law said to? I mean he was god right? It was god's law to stone her! Or were those NOT god's laws in the OT? But the laws of men made to control people?
Wow, these questions are so hard!!! Well, lets see because He is God and can do what ever He wants to do. Jesus said that He was going to do a new thing. If you read the bible then you would know why God does what He says that He will or not do. We are under a new covenant from Jesus. My question to you is, if you really want to know the bible then read it for youself, rather than asking people who read the bible and don't really have the time to debate or argue with people who really don't care.

It still amazes me that people who don't know the bible argue the bible and what God does. Read it then argue.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Wow, these questions are so hard!!! Well, lets see because He is God and can do what ever He wants to do. Jesus said that He was going to do a new thing. If you read the bible then you would know why God does what He says that He will or not do. We are under a new covenant from Jesus. My question to you is, if you really want to know the bible then read it for youself, rather than asking people who read the bible and don't really have the time to debate or argue with people who really don't care.

It still amazes me that people who don't know the bible argue the bible and what God does. Read it then argue.
Jesus did uphold the legal penalty for adultery, stoning, but by saying the only a sinless person could throw the first stone, He highlighted the importance of compassion and forgiveness.
And no one will ever understand why God does what He does unless they know Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality