U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Does God change?
No, He is the Lord, and changes not. 24 51.06%
Obviously! And it's not sacrilegious to say so either. 4 8.51%
God is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and may His Noodly Self never change. Fettuccini. 16 34.04%
Yes, and about time too. Time for Holy Tide with color safe bleach! 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,277,077 times
Reputation: 530

Advertisements

God is whatever you want It to be. Be it an actual Entity or just a feeling of love or faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,826,729 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Jesus did uphold the legal penalty for adultery, stoning, but by saying the only a sinless person could throw the first stone, He highlighted the importance of compassion and forgiveness.
And no one will ever understand why God does what He does unless they know Him.
But you just said it yourself! He CHANGED it from having sinful people do the stoning to being forgiving and compassionate! That's what I've been saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,826,729 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Wow, these questions are so hard!!! Well, lets see because He is God and can do what ever He wants to do. Jesus said that He was going to do a new thing. If you read the bible then you would know why God does what He says that He will or not do. We are under a new covenant from Jesus. My question to you is, if you really want to know the bible then read it for youself, rather than asking people who read the bible and don't really have the time to debate or argue with people who really don't care.

It still amazes me that people who don't know the bible argue the bible and what God does. Read it then argue.
First of all I agree that we are under a new covenant! So that right there proves that god changed his mind. He CHANGED from the old one to the new. And second, I've said in many other post that it was after I read the entire bible that I pulled away from church! So yes I've read it, studied, did research on certain things and came to the conclusion that it was just written by men in order to have control over people. Yes I believe in god though. But men are deceitful and can't stand to not be in control. And a lot of the goings on in OT would be called mental illness now. They did not about mental illness back then. That explains the absurdity of the OT and some of the NT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,441 posts, read 29,638,033 times
Reputation: 29982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
But you just said it yourself! He CHANGED it from having sinful people do the stoning to being forgiving and compassionate! That's what I've been saying.
No I did not say that. The sinful people left, Jesus changed nothing.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 03-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2009, 11:34 PM
 
4,047 posts, read 4,391,381 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No I did not say that. The sinful people left, Jesus changed nothing.
Numbers 15:32-36
While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.




Are you saying the whole assembly in the above passage consisted only of people without sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
 
Location: God's Country
21,441 posts, read 29,638,033 times
Reputation: 29982
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Numbers 15:32-36
While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was found gathering wood on the Sabbath day. Those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly, and they kept him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must die. The whole assembly must stone him outside the camp." So the assembly took him outside the camp and stoned him to death, as the LORD commanded Moses.




Are you saying the whole assembly in the above passage consisted only of people without sin?
The Pharisees attempted to trap Jesus. If He said she should be stoned He would have been in conflict with the Roman law, which did not allow the Jews to carry out death sentences. On the other hand, if He declared she should be let go, He would be considered to be ignoring the Law given by Moses. The language in verse 7 implys Jesus knew that the men were guilty of the same thing they accused her of. In the end everyone left because of their internal guilt or fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,586 posts, read 5,361,590 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
First of all I agree that we are under a new covenant! So that right there proves that god changed his mind. He CHANGED from the old one to the new. And second, I've said in many other post that it was after I read the entire bible that I pulled away from church! So yes I've read it, studied, did research on certain things and came to the conclusion that it was just written by men in order to have control over people. Yes I believe in god though. But men are deceitful and can't stand to not be in control. And a lot of the goings on in OT would be called mental illness now. They did not about mental illness back then. That explains the absurdity of the OT and some of the NT.
This seems odd to me. Someone who has read the bible, but still does not understand God. You said that you studied the bible and researched it, but it seems to me that you are always asking questions that it seems that you would know, since you said that you studied and researched the bible.

The author of the bible is the Holy Spirit, written by men. If anyone has the Holy Spirit, then He will direct them through the bible, which is His Word.

Once again God never changed, the old covenant was on temporary, until the new covenant. It seems strange to me to here someone that says that they studied the bible and did not know these things. All through the OT you see where they were making arrangements and plans for the new covenant. But you said that you studied the bible, so how did you not understand that or see that? The old covenant was never meant to be around permanently. If so we would still be sacrificing animals. Also if we was still under the old law, we could not go to God ourself, a priest could only go to God once a year for us. So, God did this temporary, until Jesus came and died in our place. Jesus was the lamb slain for us. Jesus was the perfect high priest with out sin. So, now we can go to God ourself because of Jesus. God never changed, because when he gave the old covenant, it was only temporary, until the new covenant.

But you said that you read the entire bible, then pulled away from the church. It sounds like you chose to pull away from the church, not because of the bible, but because of yourself and other things. God's Word will never make you come out of church.

If I do something that is condradictory to God's Word, it is not because of God or His Word, it is because of me. I feel that to many people try to blame God or them not knowing His Word, or not understanding His Word for their actions.

I'm sorry, but you can't blame God's Word for you not going to church, that was your doing, not God or His Word.

I'm not attacking you, but your story will be a first. Someone that has studied the bible, and researched the bible will understand basic things about the bible, which it seems to me that you don't know or either refuse to know.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 03-07-2009 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 AM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,599,455 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Yes, but......only when he wets his diapers!
marking the end of a creative day? and the winner is ....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
428 posts, read 693,222 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
All people would go to heaven if they listened to God and lived the way that He told them too. But sorry to say that is not going to happen, because God said not everyone will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. People choose to go to Hell by their actions. Know one makes you do anything. We have free will and people have the free will to choose to follow satan and go to hell.

WE have a choice to live for God or live for satan. Most people say that they are not living for satan, but God says that if we are not living for Him or keeping His commandments we are His enemies. I hope that what ever issue that you have with God is evenly settled.
See, this drives me nuts. You say, "people choose to go to hell by their actions", and then, "people have free will to choose to follow satan." But then you state yourself that "most people say they are not living for satan", but, in so many words, that God says they are by default if they are not expressly following him according to the way dictated according to modern Christianity's current interpretation of the Bible.

How do you figure? This is what gets me...basically the Bible says that people die and spend eternity in hell due to lack of understanding. ("My people perish for lack of knowledge".) So God does not give them that understanding, and that is who's fault??

You would think if someone's eternal destination were important to God He would make them truly understand. Not make them do anything, or make the decision for them---just explain it until they truly understand the consequences. THEN they could truly make an informed, FREE WILL decision. As it is, the vast majority of people are not choosing to follow satan and go to hell (if you all are right), rather they are making an uninformed and ignorant mistake.

Last edited by daddythreepointoh; 04-01-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2009, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit
428 posts, read 693,222 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I'm not attacking you, but your story will be a first. Someone that has studied the bible, and researched the bible will understand basic things about the bible, which it seems to me that you don't know or either refuse to know.
Shawn you seem very nice and I'm truly not trying to attack you but this statement right here is crazy! Are you being serious? I myself have studied and researched the Bible nearly my whole life and even graduated from a Christian college where I studied the Bible in detail. I left more confused than when I entered! (That is until I realized the Bible is not without flaw). And yes, I have the Holy Spirit inside of me. As do many other Christians...and why do they all interpret the Bible differently? Why are there so many different denominations and sects?

The bottom line is that you, like most Christians, turn a blind eye to the many parts that contradict each other or don't make sense, or you come up with convoluted explanations to otherwise explain them. Then you sit there and scorn everyone else that is more honest with themselves and refuse to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top