U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:17 PM

604 posts, read 962,735 times

Advertisements

Montana Guy's thread spurred this one:

I sometimes flip the television and entertain myself with Christian television. I notice something quite interesting, however. In the more affluent churches that have a program on there which may also reflect affluent churches across the country, I notice there is a complete absence of messages about heaven and a longing for it. Conversely, there are programs featuring small churches (generally predominantly black folks) and there seems to be an obsession with the pearly gates.

What I get from this is that the obsession with and the yearning for heaven seems to be proportionate to the wealth in one's personal life. If you live in the 'burbs, have a nice home, not sweating for money, go to a plush church and life overall is great, there does not seem to be much interest in heaven. If you're on the opposite end of the spectrum, the idea of gold streets, mansions and pretty stones is quite appealing. In fact, there might even be a lot more interest in Jesus returning to make it a reality.

I've also noticed that the Jehovah's Witnesses seem to make their greatest impact in impoverished areas and in the lives of people who are hurting from a personal family loss. Their periodicals have some amazing artwork that create an ultra romantic illustration of the new earth.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,796,572 times
I think you are a closet Christian.

Seriously, I couldn't tell you, as I don't watch Christian TV.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,155,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

I think you are a closet atheist!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM

604 posts, read 962,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

Wow! I never knew that. I think I feel some holy spirit coming over me right now.

Notice I said it is for entertainment and research not edification.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Wow! I never knew that. I think I feel some holy spirit coming over me right now.

Notice I said it is for entertainment and research not edification.
Yeah, I know, but I had to say it. I like to watch Benny Hinn sometimes just for entertainment purposes.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I think you are a closet atheist!
Good one...lol. Nah, I'm just not a believer of mega churches, or those who claim they heal others if they touch the TV screen, etc.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:07 PM

589 posts, read 1,318,247 times
I think it is similar to the survey that poorer folks proportionately buy more lottery tickets than the rich. By the way our 6/49 Lotto jackpot for tomorrow's draw is now $48M... gotta run and buy some tickets!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM

4,663 posts, read 3,745,899 times
ENTERTAINMENT!?!?! Robert TILTON was the KING Of CHRISTIAN ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!

YouTube - farting preacher pt 2. SEE?!?!?!

(Sorry I am in a sick sort of humor tonight...blame it on the kids)

Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 PM

589 posts, read 1,318,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
ENTERTAINMENT!?!?! Robert TILTON was the KING Of CHRISTIAN ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!

YouTube - farting preacher pt 2. SEE?!?!?!

(Sorry I am in a sick sort of humor tonight...blame it on the kids)
He must have eaten too much beans. Or could that be his trademark? It's possible they also placed a microphone down there.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,555,804 times
Well, religions are only expanding in poor countries and shrinking in developed, educated countries. The poorer the population, the more religious it is.

My hypothesis is that the U.S. had an extraordinary amount of wealth that built a relatively wealthy middle class from a relatively undereducated population. In most countries, a lot more education is required to reach the level of wealth secured in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality