U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:26 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,779,466 times

Advertisements

...And on the subject of making large amounts of money, I wanted to let MontanaGuy know that he's probably given away at least a multimillion-dollar idea. If "Bowling with Satan" isn't the basis for a movie--a religious comedy of the type not seen since "Monty Python's Life of Brian"--then I don't know what is. I hope he went and copyrighted that before he started this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:16 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,036,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Oh, I wouldn't call it a total failure. It'll be just like a group of kids playing "telephone." It will take on a life of its own, and by the time you wake up tomorrow morning and log onto C-D, it will be involving a discussion you could never have imagined.

Three cheers for the internet, I say! And an extra huzzah for the concept of bowling with Satan.
I think that by the time "The Bible" made it to print, it was like the end result of the game "Telephone". Some how the words, "He waded through water," were written as, "He walked on water." Perhaps a true "fish tale' about a fisherman.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:33 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,427,020 times
Shawn_2828 wrote:
Quote:
I'm alittle confused but maybe I'm wrong. You believe in satan, but don't believe in God. That is a question. I was just wondering, from another post.
No, I don't believe in satan, I was making a feeble attempt at humor. My imagery came from Hollywood. Remember Christopher Walken playing the angel Gabriel in The Prophecy? That's the kind of appearance I had in mind. Also, Robert DeNiro played satan in the movie Angle Heart and his eyes glowed at one point in the movie. That's the sort of thing that gets my imagination going and I have a weird sense of humor so I thought it would be a nice break from arguing about evolution, homosexuality or predicting the future.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,496,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Shawn_2828 wrote:

No, I don't believe in satan, I was making a feeble attempt at humor. My imagery came from Hollywood. Remember Christopher Walken playing the angel Gabriel in The Prophecy? That's the kind of appearance I had in mind. Also, Robert DeNiro played satan in the movie Angle Heart and his eyes glowed at one point in the movie. That's the sort of thing that gets my imagination going and I have a weird sense of humor so I thought it would be a nice break from arguing about evolution, homosexuality or predicting the future.
I have the same problem when I try to bring humor to a subject. Not sure if it is the dry wit or just my idea of humor is different, but I have to start my jokes with the statement “this is meant to be humorous”. I did see the humor in yours, and tried to respond with humor also. I suspect the (humor) "Far side" saw the humor also and just wanted to shift the subject from Satan to some other myth.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM

661 posts, read 1,031,523 times
I liked your story.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,588,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...And on the subject of making large amounts of money, I wanted to let MontanaGuy know that he's probably given away at least a multimillion-dollar idea. If "Bowling with Satan" isn't the basis for a movie--a religious comedy of the type not seen since "Monty Python's Life of Brian"--then I don't know what is. I hope he went and copyrighted that before he started this thread.

c-d trend scout? where are my credits?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
c-d trend scout? where are my credits?
Here...have some credits:

All I want is a chance to help with the scriptwriting!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 PM

4,663 posts, read 3,745,899 times
Some People just take everything way too seriously

BTW Satan is NOT real I can prove it: The lotto numbers he supposedly sent me never came up. He may be a great bowler, but he is lousy at picking the Lotto

Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 AM

That's because you momentarily forgot that Satan has an impish sense of humor. He isn't in charge of Lotto numbers.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 AM

4,512 posts, read 6,588,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I have the same problem when I try to bring humor to a subject. Not sure if it is the dry wit or just my idea of humor is different, but I have to start my jokes with the statement “this is meant to be humorous”. I did see the humor in yours, and tried to respond with humor also. I suspect the (humor) "Far side" saw the humor also and just wanted to shift the subject from Satan to some other myth.
yeah, see, some of us started out watching foreign language movies with subtitles. was really good for something..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality