U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:31 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,031,417 times

Advertisements

....so he asked Mary: "Can a tree come to grow without a seed?" She said: "Yes, the one which Allah created for the first time." He asked her again: "Is it possible to bear a child without a male partner?" She said: "Yes, Allah, created Adam without male or female!".....

.....She put her finger to her lips and pointed to the child. They asked: "How can we speak to a newborn baby?" To their total amazement, the child began to speak clearly: "I am .....

.......The Jewish priests felt this child Jesus was dangerous, for they felt that the people would turn their worship to Allah the Almighty Alone, displacing the existing Jewish tenets. Consequently, they would lose their authority over the people. Therefore, they kept the miracle of Jesus's speech in infancy as a secret and accused Mary of a great misdeed......

.....On the same night, the revelation descended upon Jesus (pbuh). Allah the Exalted commanded him to begin his call to the children of Israel. To Jesus....

Jesus continued to invite people to worship the Only Lord, Who is without partner, just as he invited them to purify the heart and soul.
His teaching annoyed the priests, for every word of Jesus was a threat to them and their position, exposing their misdeeds.
The Roman occupiers had, at first, no intention of being involved in this religious discord of the Jews because it was an internal affair, and they saw that this dispute would distract the Jews from the question of the occupation.
However, the priests started to plot against Jesus. They wanted to embarrass him and to prove that he.....

......This woman is an adulteress." Jesus looked at the woman and then at the priests. He knew that they were more sinful than she. They agreed that she should be killed according to Mosaic Law, and they understood that if he was going to apply Mosaic Law, he would be destroying his own rules of forgiveness and mercy.
Jesus understood their plan. He smiled and assented: "Whoever among you is sinless can stone her." His voice rose in the middle of the Temple, making a new law on adultery, for the sinless to judge sin. There was none eligible; no mortal can judge sin, only Allah the Most Merciful.
As Jesus left the temple, the woman followed him. She took out a bottle of perfume from her garments, knelt before his feet and washed them with perfume and tears, and then dried his feet with her hair. Jesus turned to the woman and told her to stand up, adding: "O Lord, forgive her sins." He let the priests understand that those who call people to Almighty Allah are not executioners. His call was based on mercy for the people, the aim of all divine calls.
Jesus continued to pray to Allah for mercy on his people and to teach his people to have mercy on one another and to believe in Allah.......

.......When the Jews saw this they said: "You only resurrect those who have died recently; perhaps they only fainted." They asked him to bring back to life Sam the Ibn Noah.
When he asked them to show him his grave, the people accompanied him there. Jesus invoked Allah the Exalted to bring him back to life and behold, Sam the Ibn Noah came out from the grave gray-haired. Jesus asked: "how did you get gray hair, when there was no aging in your time?" He answered: "O Spirit of Allah, I thought that the Day of Resurrection had come; from the fear of that day my hair turned gray."......

......they asked Jesus to bring food from heaven to break their fast. Jesus prayed to Allah after his disciples had doubted Allah's power. The great table cam down between two clouds, one above and one below, while the people watched. Jesus said: "O Lord, make it a mercy and not a cause of distress." So it fell between Jesus's hands, covered with a napkin.
Jesus suddenly prostrated and his disciples with him. They sensed a fragrance, which they had never smelled before. Jesus said: "The one who is the most devout and most righteous may uncover the table, that we might eat of it to thank Allah for it." They said: "O Spirit of Allah, you are the most deserving."..........

The Sanhedrin, the highest judicial and ecclesiastical council of the Jews, began to meet to plot against Jesus. The plan took a new turn. When the Jews failed to stop Jesus' s call, they decided to kill him. The chief priests held secret meetings to agree on the best way of getting rid of Jesus. While they were in such a meeting, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus, Judas Iscariot, went to them and asked: "What will you give me if I deliver him to you?".....

......The priests had no authority to pass the death sentence at that time, so they convinced the Roman governor that Jesus was plotting against the security of the Roman Empire and urged him to take immediate action against him. The governor ordered that Jesus be arrested......

for the full story click here
Ibn Kathir: Story of Prophet Isa/Jesus (pbuh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,031,417 times
According to the Book of Matthew,

Jesus was arrested and the council of the high priests passed the death sentence upon him. Then, they began insulting him, spitting on his face and kicking him.

It was the Roman custom for the condemned to be flogged before they were executed. So Pilate, the Roman governor, ordered that Jesus be flogged. The Mosaic Law stipulates forty lashes, but the Roman had no limit, and they were brutal lashes. After that, Jesus was handed to the soldiers for crucifixion. They took off his clothes, and kept them. They put a crown of thorns on his head to mock him. According to custom he carried his cross on his back to increase his suffering.

Finally, they reached a place called Golgotha, meaning the Place of Skulls, outside the walls of Jerusalem. Instead of giving him a cup of wine diluted with scent to help lessen the pain on the cross, the soldiers gave Jesus a cup of vinegar diluted with gall. Then they crucified him and, as a further mockery, two thieves with him. So it is written in the Bible.
But the faith of Islam came with views quite different from that of the extend gospels with regards to both the end of Jesus and his nature.

The Glorious Qur'an affirms that Allah the Exalted did not permit the people of Israel to kill Jesus or crucify him. What happened was that Allah saved him from his enemies and raised him to heaven. They never killed Jesus, they killed someone else.

Ibn Kathir: Story of Prophet Isa/Jesus (pbuh)

Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM

2,529 posts, read 3,805,163 times
"But the faith of Islam came with views quite different from that of the extend gospels with regards to both the end of Jesus and his nature."

Galatians 1...

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
"But the faith of Islam came with views quite different from that of the extend gospels with regards to both the end of Jesus and his nature."

Galatians 1...

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
Shortly after Gutenberg invented the printing press, ole John, the king, had someone translate the bible into English. A. Translations have a lot of difficulty getting the same words and thought from a differing language. B. John had the bible translated to help him control the people, ergo, it was edited somewhat. Martin Luther did not translate the bible, he merely suggested that there was another interpretation, John's translation gave validity to familiar customs of the time-like slavery, tithing, the role of women, stuff not in the original, John added to make his life easier, henceforth he could always rely on "check it out in the bible, it says so right there" C. the average person could not read or write, D. priests translated in such a way as to guarantee their job safety. The bible was translated to control, not to illuminate.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:03 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,930,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Shortly after Gutenberg invented the printing press, ole John, the king, had someone translate the bible into English. A. Translations have a lot of difficulty getting the same words and thought from a differing language. B. John had the bible translated to help him control the people, ergo, it was edited somewhat. Martin Luther did not translate the bible, he merely suggested that there was another interpretation, John's translation gave validity to familiar customs of the time-like slavery, tithing, the role of women, stuff not in the original, John added to make his life easier, henceforth he could always rely on "check it out in the bible, it says so right there" C. the average person could not read or write, D. priests translated in such a way as to guarantee their job safety. The bible was translated to control, not to illuminate.

Are you suggesting the translations we have today are just for purposes of control?

I've got a copy of the Bible in several translations that were based off of much older texts than those used to translate the KJV. In any event, the KJV was really a remarkable piece of work when you consider the texts that they were able to work with at the time.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM

995 posts, read 1,179,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Are you suggesting the translations we have today are just for purposes of control?

I've got a copy of the Bible in several translations that were based off of much older texts than those used to translate the KJV. In any event, the KJV was really a remarkable piece of work when you consider the texts that they were able to work with at the time.
Err...which of the current versions of the bible is the official version? The one that is used by all the denominations be it Pentastocal or Baptist etc etc? There is no such problem with the Quran cause there is only 1 version of it...unchanged from day 1 and it comes in its original language too

Old 02-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Err...which of the current versions of the bible is the official version? The one that is used by all the denominations be it Pentastocal or Baptist etc etc? There is no such problem with the Quran cause there is only 1 version of it...unchanged from day 1 and it comes in its original language too
So, the only ones who can read the Quran are those who speak/read English?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM

995 posts, read 1,179,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So, the only ones who can read the Quran are those who speak/read English?
The Quran is in classical Arabic... The Quran has been translated into many languages like the Bible.. Just that...unlike the Bible, the translators get to translate from the original language..not from a translation of a translation. And of course the translated versions in the many different languages are just that - translations by men who are obviously not 100% error-proof unlike God. But the translations are pretty good themselves.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,930,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post

The ASV, NET, NASB, NIV, ESV, NLT, KJV, NKJV, and a number of other ones are all good translations. Some are better than others.

Since most of us don't speak and read Hebrew and Greek, a translation is needed. The reason for different translations is because languages don't always transfer from one to another easily. Anyone that speaks 2 languages can easily understand that concept. I speak Spanish and English. The sentence structure in Spanish is much different than English. You can't translate word for word.

As for the koran, are you suggestion that it was written in English originally?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM

I found this to be interesting... Studying the Quran

"But let us ignore the fact that the Quran is a book dictated to scribes by a man who was only indirectly a prophet through visions from an angel of questionable character (questioned by Mohammed himself, in fact), vouched for by a woman who had never seen the angel, written by numerous secretaries on numerous odds and ends which eyewitnesses attest were not correctly gathered together, some portions eaten by animals, the rest compiled together after the only true eyewitness was already dead, thus resulting in numerous versions, almost all of which were burned by a man who was not guided by God in deciding which ones to burn, the same man who we know from eyewitnesses had already left verses out."

And another... http://www.answering-islam.org/Green/seven.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality