U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,096,103 times

Advertisements

I think they should make a Comedy Central Roast of all main characters in the Bible. Bill Maher or Kathy Griffin could be roastmaster. *Gets really optimistic*. Maybe, just maybe, something like that could cause Woody Allen to come back to comedy.

*Is a fan of Woody Allen's stand-up of the 1960's*

Sadly, we wouldn't have George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce, Bill Hicks, Sam Kinison, etc. I'd love to see Lewis Black or Doug Stanhope on something like that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,091,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Who here has seen the movie, Religulous? What do you think?
My son and I watched it tonight. I can't say that Bill Maher is my favorite "non-believing" comedian, (I prefer George Carlin, myself), however, he did make many valid points. That being said, I believe it's a bit of a stretch to place everyone who has religious/spiritual beliefs under the same umbrella, as Maher appeared to be attempting to do. Not everyone, who is religious/spiritual, is a nut job, or lacks intelligence, or wishes to do harm to others. I noticed that Maher hit on many of the extremes out there, which, while humorous, is accurate only to a point. There are many people in this world who, because of their very beliefs, try their level best to treat others in the way they, themselves, would like to be treated. Many people of faith go out of their way to be kind to others, and to help others in need. This is not to say that non-believers do not do the same, (lest anyone think this is what I am alluding to). I'm merely making the point that it serves no particular purpose to throw out the baby with the bathwater, as apparently Bill Maher would prefer us to do.

Granted, there are many terrible things done in the name of religion. However, it is totally erroneous to think that if religion, in any and all forms, were suddenly gone from the planet, that everything would be wonderful, and everything wrong in this world would suddenly be set right. That we wouldn't have wars, terrorism, disease, famine, crime, etc. Religion gone wrong, religion in it's ugliest form, is only one of the things that causes such troubles. Let us not forget that greed for power, and for riches causes just as many, (if not more), of the unfortunate problems that face us every day, as a species, (in fact, in many cases, religion is the scapegoat that people hide behind as they reach their greedy hands for the control and money they so crave).

I believe that spirituality, when practiced in it's purest form, (the Golden Rule, if you will, regardless of the religion involved), brings much good to the world. I also believe that religion/spirituality brings comfort and hope to millions of people, both as they live their lives, and as they face the end of them. Comfort and hope are too frequently in short supply, and certainly no one should be derided merely because they choose religious belief to see them through, anymore than those who choose a different route. And, all this arguing between religious and non-religious folk isn't going to accomplish anything, anyway. I don't think that religious people are going to suddenly be flocking to the "Temple of Rationality", merely because Bill Maher thinks they should, anymore than the atheistic folks are suddenly joining the "Church of Creation" on the word of Ben Stein.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,568,869 times
Probably the biggest problem with the film was that he went in with his mind already made up and basically used the film to justify his final declaration. There was no journey.

I thought the best part was when they were at the Jesus park with all the singing and dancing Jesus' (he'd be rolling over in his tomb if he was still there).

There was a moment when a mother and perhaps her son were spewing the normal evangeical talking points when Maher asked them about the mythological lives of Mithra and Krishna (which are absolutely identical to what we believe Yahweh's life was - the virgin birth, sacrificed, rose 3 days later, etc...)

The male simply looked away and had actually never heard that before in his life. A person who had obviously simply believed what he was taught his entire life without ever doing any research was touched with truth that day. Perhaps he went home, googled it, and began a fascinating spiritual journey to really understanding the Christ consciousness.

One can dream.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,142,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I haven't seen the movie which is too bad because I'm also a big fan of Bill Maher. I find it interesting that a comedian can express himself so well on the subject of religion that he can nail down some of the inconsistencies with a single witty remark. George Carlin is probably the best atheist comedian and Bill Maher, who is also a Carlin fan, gives him credit for that. I'm going to have to check out that movie.
MG, you can view it on-line, for free.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,171,887 times
For those of you watching the DVD, I would highly recommend the special features with Bill Maher & the director narrating through the entire movie. Deleted scenes are good too.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:15 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,499,707 times
My wife and I just watched it tonight. I liked the way he added humor to a very serious subject. What I really felt bad about were the biggest nuts seemed to be in the US, and the ones who just oozed stupidity seemed to come from NC.
His last statement about standing up before it was too late is something I recognized a few years back. We do need to speak out, elect people who base decisions on rational knowledge, and ditch the myths from our education systems.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM

10,123 posts, read 4,197,165 times
I saw it long ago and think it does an excellent job at showing us exactly how bizarre religion really is.

It does a good job at showing how all religions have basically the same major theme.

You can watch the full documentary in the form of 11 clips.

It's also highly entertaining and hilarious at times!

Last edited by Matadora; 01-21-2017 at 09:33 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 PM

6,977 posts, read 4,324,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I saw it long ago and think it does an excellent job at showing us exactly how bizarre religion really is.

It does a good job at showing how all religions have basically the same major theme.

You can watch the full documentary in the form of
11 clips.

It's also highly entertaining and hilarious at times!
There is also the movie Kumaré. It does a good job at showing us exactly how bizarre spiritualism and supernaturalism (in this case: spiritualist cultism) is. All these religious seekers basically have the same major theme.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:27 AM

10,123 posts, read 4,197,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
There is also the movie Kumaré. It does a good job at showing us exactly how bizarre spiritualism and supernaturalism (in this case: spiritualist cultism) is. All these religious seekers basically have the same major theme.
I watched that a few years ago. All of this makes it very clear that humans are searching and become easily duped. It's very difficult for me to understand as I don't possess these traits. I look around at humanity and am utterly bewildered by their ability to not question the absurdity of religion.

One thing that Bill Maher says in Religulous that makes perfect sense. What does not make sense to me is why religious folks don't apply it to the religion the so willingly follow and don't question.

If a person belongs to a political party or social club that was tied to as much bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, violence and sheer ignorance as religion is, they would resign in protest...to do otherwise is to be an enabler. He is spot on about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality