Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM

605 posts, read 1,107,440 times

Advertisements

Of course there are other bizarre stories but this one has always puzzled me. To give a little background for those too lazy to read the chapter I will help you out.

After the death of Ahab, king of Israel, the king of Moab decided it was a great time to stop paying tribute to Israel. The tribute was in the form of sheep. Ahab's heir, Jehoram, saw this as a sign of rebellion and declared war against Moab. For assistance he turned to his southern neighbor, Jehoshaphat, king of Judah an also the king of Edom whose land he had to go through to get to Moab.

Jehoshaphat, being a righteous king, wanted to hear from a prophet of God before preceding into battle. A suggestion was made to consult the prophet Elisha. Elisha only decides to oracle God because of Jehoshaphat. Jehoram, on the other hand, was repulsive to him because of his connection to the hated Ahab and Jezebel.

Elisha predicts a victory for the alliance against Moab. He predicts Moab would fall into their hands, however, what happens on the way to this victory is where it gets wierd. When the Israel-Judah-Edom alliance was at the point of striking the final blow on Moab, the king of Moad, seeing the advancing army against him, decided to sacrifice his son on the city wall of his kingdom. We are then told that as a result, "... there was great indignation against Israel." This led to the alliance aborting the mission and returning home without the ultimate victory promised by God's prophet.

What happened? I have my thoughts on the matter, but I want to hear what you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,545 times
Verse 18
And this is but a light thing in the sight of the Lord:he will deliver the Moabites also into your hand.

It is promised that they shall be masters of the rebellious country and they are permitted to lay it waste and ruin it.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Moderator cut: removed orphaned quoted

It seems like another plug for the moral goodness of sacrificing your own son for the Lord. If sacrificing the king's son could stop God's own army from defeating Moab, think what good it could do for me?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 02-26-2009 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Tell ya what, I'll clean up the thread and you guys can comment on the OP.....or not at all......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality