U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,198,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I have indicated a belief in the design of the universe. Never have I introduced any religion's doctrine. Nor do I subscribe to any religion's doctrine. I seek the best explanation for human existence in the Universe. I personally feel closest to God in the wilderness, alone.
That's interesting. It's not often that I come across theists or is it deists? that don't believe in Christ. Of course, I'm in the US.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,952,890 times
Quote:
I have indicated a belief in the design of the universe. Never have I introduced any religion's doctrine. Nor do I subscribe to any religion's doctrine. I seek the best explanation for human existence in the Universe. I personally feel closest to God in the wilderness, alone.
I'll never understand the need some people exhibit for knowing the exact means by which the universe came to be. Why is it so important to know right now, this very instant? Why not breathe in the fresh air, be glad that you exist, and then reach out to do something meaningful with that existance?

Scientists could release a report tomorrow that the universe was created from pixie dust sprinkled on pink unicorn excrement 20 trillion years ago. And you know what? Life would go on. It would be a magnificent discovery, sure! But it wouldnt really mean anything.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM

2,657 posts, read 3,200,073 times
That report was just released. Hope your happy.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 PM

598 posts, read 810,508 times
Religions are interested in how the universe came about has to do with "personal God" -- the one that has jurisdiction over you.

Religions are interested in personal God, and therefore the universe creator is of great interests to them.

Because the next thing they want to say is something like "because the God created everything for you, now you need to fulfill religious duties, and here's what that God said, and I am telling you, blah, blah, ..."

It's all about religious mind controls: money, political agenda, martyrdom, ...

Old 02-26-2009, 05:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,266,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's interesting. It's not often that I come across theists or is it deists? that don't believe in Christ. Of course, I'm in the US.
You mean like Buddhists and Hindus? No Christ there.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 AM

19,081 posts, read 21,198,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Yes, but the US (where I am) is largely Christian is the way of religion. Of course, this is changing. I do work with a number of Hindu folk. On boards though, the norm for me is Christian.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,796,073 times
Quote:
Well to be accurate, you have heard of those who believe that earth was once visited by Alien super beings from another planet and had sex with the neanderthals and the human being with all their intellignce, thinking/reasoning, etc came about, right ??? Even helped them build pyramids, desert plains giant Petroglyphs and alien mothership runways, etc.

I guess in your United States with the biggest mix of humankind, any belief is possible.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,266,516 times
Quote:
Yes, but the US (where I am) is largely Christian is the way of religion. Of course, this is changing. I do work with a number of Hindu folk. On boards though, the norm for me is Christian.

Me too

I guess Hindus and Buddhists don't see the need to prove themselves or shove their belief systems down anyone's throats. They seem much more secure with their beliefs that if you don't wish to follow them, then don't, they don't care. Christians should be more like that, too.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:56 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,865,223 times
Quote:
I don't believe such a Universe could exist, and therefore could not speculate.
And yet you criticize those of us who don't believe in a deity, and who say "we don't know because we don't have enough facts yet..."

What's the difference?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,865,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post

Many Buddhists are atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality