U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,074,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Do you refer to the bible for your right and wrong? Or where do you turn for that. And what is the harm for looking for the best possible theory? Or are you just happy with we don't know? If I was, I suppose I would either believe anything or just not even talk about it. So what's the point of your post?
You don't know, either.
You've made up a god thing to address what you don't know.
We haven't.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM

2,617 posts, read 1,989,992 times
Man evolved from apes.

Not sure about this, I believe it would more accurate to say man and apes shared a common ancestor.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM

2,658 posts, read 3,202,944 times
So basically you have "faith" that science will someday explain everything. But until then, you don't know. So why even bother talking about it? Anyone can stand there all day telling everyone else they are wrong. But what you are saying is you don't even have a theory. So again, why even discuss it? For all of you Atheists so far who have no idea what you believe, your Atheism carries with it an entailment of the worldview "Naturalism". This is sciences explanation of existence in the Universe. Would anyone care to read up a little on this and then perhaps we can talk on a different level about Morality, Existence, and Significance of Action? So far this has been intellectual dishonesty and pony league ball. It is clear so far that no "Atheist" on this post thread has even thought long enough about it to comprehend their own worldview or what their defence is. So if you really don't care what you believe, I don't care to hear it.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,074,827 times
I have no faith in anything.
If there's an explanation, there's an explanation.
In science, there is proof.
In religion, there is myth and faith, because there is no proof of any deity.

I don't need to have an explanation for everything.
Can you explain electricity?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM

4,639 posts, read 3,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
The problem with religious world view is that they presume their certain religious answer being true and the only possible answer out there

For example, one type religious world view is "die on the cross for the savior of sins", and that's the only thing they know (I don't blame them ... they have been brainwashed that way since early childhood). And, they presume that's the only true story out there.

So, you often hear about religious follower know "why", and "have a world view".

Religion is like mental condition, its followers are incapable asking themselves rational questions like:

1). How could someone's death save the whole worlds from some mystical "sins"?

2). What exactly are the mystical "sins"?

3). There are lot things going on in the world, why care about mystical "sins"

4). What if someone talk to you about "sins", just so you will go to church for your whole life?
OR along those lines
Why would a god have to sacrifice himself TO himself just to change some rule he (supposedly) made to begin with anyway ?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM

2,658 posts, read 3,202,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Can you explain electricity?
"Yes"

Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 AM

4,639 posts, read 3,734,867 times
OP
we have some excellent scientific theories regarding the origins of the universe. Rather than rehash them here, anyone who wishes to explore them may take a trip to the local library or look around the internet.
Science WILL conetinue to provide answers as it has done so far. Religion will not, because religion is founded in superstition (As someone said, taking anything they don't understand and saying "Because god did it")
That is NOT an answer: answers are arrived through forming a hypothesis, then testing and researching the validity of this hypothesis. When an idea passes rigorous testing, then it becomes a theory, which is more or less true until it is either disproven or it becomes unuseful for developing further testing and hypothesis.
The "Big Bang" is an example of this. Modern science is proving that the Big Bang is Probably true, at least it is as true as our technology can provide at this point...BUT in science, if something more plausable and explainable comes along, then science will move in that direction. Unlike religion, where in the face of rigorous scientific proof, superstition and myth remain.
Our scientific worldview is NOT Conclusive and complete. At least not yet. And while it may leave room for "god" it does not REQUIRE god. If it disproves god along the way, then god was never real to begin with, and our minds and intellects are able to show that. Such work should not be viewed with dispair but with excitement and a desire to use reason and intellect, instead of emotion and superstition, to discover the wonders of the universe. We must remember that science moves forward, while religion moves backwards. Science, unlike religion, has answers, and it has answers that are real, workable, usable and dedicated to discovery.
As for a worldview of life, I find more and more that aetheists are the leaders in placing a value on human rights. I guess that is because they do not follow the example of the Quran or the Bible to subvert and destroy other humans in the name of some diety. Consider that the next time a muslim beheads his wife or a fundamentalist Christian shoots up a different church service.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,407,699 times
Georgiafrog wrote:
Quote:
It is clear so far that no "Atheist" on this post thread has even thought long enough about it to comprehend their own worldview or what their defence is. So if you really don't care what you believe, I don't care to hear it.
I thought I wrote a pretty good post to try to answer you but I see it was a waste of time. I'm beginning to think you were probably a runner up in the Special Olympics head paddling competition.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:47 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,869,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
So basically you have "faith" that science will someday explain everything. But until then, you don't know.
You're not listening! Go back and read my post. I said "we don't know, and we may never know...so what?" There's no faith involved at all, period.

Quote:
So why even bother talking about it? Anyone can stand there all day telling everyone else they are wrong. But what you are saying is you don't even have a theory. So again, why even discuss it?
Why did you even ask us if you aren't going to pay attention to what we say?

Quote:
For all of you Atheists so far who have no idea what you believe,
I don't know a single atheist who doesn't know what they believe. Where the heck are you getting that from?

Quote:
...your Atheism carries with it an entailment of the worldview "Naturalism". This is sciences explanation of existence in the Universe. Would anyone care to read up a little on this and then perhaps we can talk on a different level about Morality, Existence, and Significance of Action? So far this has been intellectual dishonesty and pony league ball.
Why did you make the OP in the first place? Are you just here to be argumentative? Looks that way. So far you haven't shown one whit of an interest in actually discussing and learning about us, so why should we continue to bother answering your pointless, repetitive questions?

Quote:
It is clear so far that no "Atheist" on this post thread has even thought long enough about it to comprehend their own worldview or what their defence is. So if you really don't care what you believe, I don't care to hear it.
Hostile much? Really, what did we ever do to you? Did some atheist hand you your arse in a debate competition and now you're here in order to get some payback? Did your atheist boyfriend dump you because of your unrealistic "worldview"? Face it, you don't seem to be here to learn, just to pick and whine and ignore plain answers.

We've answered your questions, despite the fact that you continue to ignore the answers. The failure is on your part, not ours.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,797,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Georgiafrog wrote:

I thought I wrote a pretty good post to try to answer you but I see it was a waste of time. I'm beginning to think you were probably a runner up in the Special Olympics head paddling competition.
Well it's a shame because it could have actually been a good thread for Atheists & Aggies to explain their opinions on how their world would work, but I guess in this climate of aggression that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

It's almost like one of those reverse threads where it's the other way around with this side having it's own pitbulls

Out

edit: wow, actually had to go back and delete the bold. I'm trying tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality