U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,662 posts, read 3,228,772 times
Reputation: 1838

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
You are using the word theory incorrectly. Your wacky ideas can't be observed, tested, or reproduced so hey, guess what? No theory.
Still preferable to me than rejecting all others ideas and resigning myself to self admitted ignorance. By the way, come up with an observable, testable, and reproducable refutation of divine existence.

 
Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,906,788 times
Reputation: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Still preferable to me than rejecting all others ideas and resigning myself to self admitted ignorance. By the way, come up with an observable, testable, and reproducable refutation of divine existence.
Again, wrong. It's not up to me to prove a deity doesn't exist, any more than it's up to me to prove that Santa Claus, Peter Pan, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, unicorns, purple people-eaters, and fairies don't exist.

You're the one saying he's there, it's your burden to prove it.

(PS I recommend that you learn a little something about the scientific method, hmmm?)
 
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,662 posts, read 3,228,772 times
Reputation: 1838
You offer no explanation for existence.
I do.
You say I'm wrong. I seek answers.
Others on here have offered possible explanations that we are discussing.
You have not.
It is an easy position to stand in the corner and tell all the others they are wrong. Enjoy it, but know that your stance gives zero credibility when I have a possible alternative besides, "The world may never know".
Just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
 
Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 PM
 
37,803 posts, read 25,519,475 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Again, wrong. It's not up to me to prove a deity doesn't exist, any more than it's up to me to prove that Santa Claus, Peter Pan, the Easter Bunny, leprechauns, unicorns, purple people-eaters, and fairies don't exist.
These childish comparisons that are not remotely comparative need to be banished to the realm of stupid arguments. Your scientific method is investigating something. We don't know what it is, where it came from or why it exists . . . but it created us and determines everything we experience . . . is everywhere (omnipresent) and has inviolable laws (omnipotent) . . . provides our sustenance and determines our death . . . who or what IS it, then . . . if not God by a different name?
 
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,906,788 times
Reputation: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
You offer no explanation for existence.
Why is "we don't know yet, and may never find out" so hard to grok?

Quote:
I do.
No you don't. "God did it" isn't an explanation if you can't back it up with proof.


Quote:
You say I'm wrong. I seek answers.
Nope. I say you have no proof. Give me proof of your claims and I'll consider them.

Quote:
Others on here have offered possible explanations that we are discussing.
You have not.
See my answer to your first statement.

Quote:
It is an easy position to stand in the corner and tell all the others they are wrong.
Again, give me proof of your claims. Until then, they're unsubstantiated.

Quote:
Enjoy it, but know that your stance gives zero credibility when I have a possible alternative besides, "The world may never know".
I have more credibility saying "we don't know" than you do saying "god did it" and not furnishing any proof of your wacky claims.

Quote:
Just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
I bite them. So your question is irrelevant.
 
Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
 
2,633 posts, read 4,467,726 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
You offer no explanation for existence.
I do.
You say I'm wrong. I seek answers.
Others on here have offered possible explanations that we are discussing.
You have not.
It is an easy position to stand in the corner and tell all the others they are wrong. Enjoy it, but know that your stance gives zero credibility when I have a possible alternative besides, "The world may never know".
Just how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
Sorry Georgiafrog but when it comes to the creation of the universe "the world may never know" is the best answer.

We can throw out alternatives to our heart's content but there is no way to tell which is right. Whether an elaborate, maths ridden hypothesis or a convoluted, incoherent story; They are all guessess. As you yourself put it, your ideas are only possible explanations and even the "possible" bit is debatable.
 
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,662 posts, read 3,228,772 times
Reputation: 1838
The existence of a God is a possible explanation for the Universe. A possible explanation is always better than no explanation. Imagine the homicide detective who just shrugs and walks away. I am seeking the best explanation. You don't like mine, but don't give a better one. I prefer Dum-Dums.
 
Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,245,189 times
Reputation: 11282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
These childish comparisons that are not remotely comparative need to be banished to the realm of stupid arguments. Your scientific method is investigating something. We don't know what it is, where it came from or why it exists . . . but it created us and determines everything we experience . . . is everywhere (omnipresent) and has inviolable laws (omnipotent) . . . provides our sustenance and determines our death . . . who or what IS it, then . . . if not God by a different name?
You "know" nothing of the kind.
If you cannot prove it, or show that it exists anywhere but in the confines of your mind, and other like minds, it is no different than Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.
Just because you believe something doesn't make it so.
 
Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
 
2,633 posts, read 4,467,726 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
The existence of a God is a possible explanation for the Universe. A possible explanation is always better than no explanation. Imagine the homicide detective who just shrugs and walks away. I am seeking the best explanation. You don't like mine, but don't give a better one. I prefer Dum-Dums.
Please inform yourself about the current research and explanations for the origins of the universe that scientists have been coming up for quite a while now.
 
Old 02-25-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Montrose, CA
3,031 posts, read 7,906,788 times
Reputation: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
The existence of a God is a possible explanation for the Universe. A possible explanation is always better than no explanation. Imagine the homicide detective who just shrugs and walks away. I am seeking the best explanation. You don't like mine, but don't give a better one.
Saying "we don't know yet, but we're working on finding out" is a far, FAR better explanation than making a wild guess without a smidgen of fact to back it up.

Quote:
I prefer Dum-Dums.
Such a perfect straight line, but I already vex the mods too much with my outspoken behavior so I will leave this one alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top