U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,209,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We could very well be somewhere else in the universe; on a planet that is the proper distance from the sun, or perhaps even in another universe that did have a good, proper arrangement of 'tuning' suitable for life and you might still be asking the same question.
But alas, we are not, and life does not exist past the point of what we know it to. So here we are trying to decifer the meaning and origin of life as WE know it. And so far we have not encountered it beyond our planet, or beyond the limitations that constrict life here on earth. So we are left in the difficult position of trying to explain our existence through what we know from what we can study in our solar system. I wonder if a divine creator would fit into that category?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,244,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I see alot of posts from atheists on this site who are good about attacking those of the faiths, but I haven't seen much of an explanation regarding the origin of man or the universe. Can you account for existence, morality, and significance of action with an atheistic worldview?
As an athiest, I cannot account for the origin of morality (existence and significance of action is relatively easy though). I adhere to ahimsa, both in lifestyle and worldview, which is not embraced by 99% of religions and certainly none of the monotheistic religions. The Jains have a pretty good grasp and practice though.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:44 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,056,157 times
Quote:
But alas, we are not, and life does not exist past the point of what we know it to. So here we are trying to decifer the meaning and origin of life as WE know it. And so far we have not encountered it beyond our planet, or beyond the limitations that constrict life here on earth. So we are left in the difficult position of trying to explain our existence through what we know from what we can study in our solar system. I wonder if a divine creator would fit into that category?
I don't know if I really understand your point. I almost answered your question with a question, which is something I am not fond of doing but perhaps it may have been better if I had. So, let me try it this way:

If we existed in a 'non-fine tuned' universe and planet as products of both stellar and biological evolution, what would it look like?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:52 PM

I kind of think that life has certain parameters that it can exist in. I don't think I believe that life can exist without water, or in an oxygen deprived atmosphere like the moon. Of course this is based on the purely scientific. I am open to what may be possible.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,056,157 times
Quote:
I kind of think that life has certain parameters that it can exist in. I don't think I believe that life can exist without water, or in an oxygen deprived atmosphere like the moon. Of course this is based on the purely scientific. I am open to what may be possible.

No... I mean what would a universe and/or planet look like that was free of any divine intervention upon which we grew and evolved to conform to a given but ever-changing set of ecological pressures, factors and 'tunings'????

Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM

I don't believe such a Universe could exist, and therefore could not speculate.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM

37,615 posts, read 25,318,615 times
Quote:
I don't believe such a Universe could exist, and therefore could not speculate.
Many prominent physicists would agree.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM

598 posts, read 811,765 times
Religious stuffs belong to theists, everything else being non-religious are all belong to atheists.

Theists worldviews are religious views.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Religious stuffs belong to theists, everything else being non-religious are all belong to atheists.

Theists worldviews are religious views.
All your base are belong to us.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,854,868 times
I love thread like this

My personal worldview is this: for abiogenesis, I'm leaning towards random occurance. Who's to say that our universe had 'attempted' to be created by the big bang a billion times before it worked out just right? I cannot in good faith (ha ) believe in a 'creator' creating our universe. It's just too far fetched to believe for me. And yes, it is WAY more far fetched than the earth randomly being created by itself.

For morals: Morals are subjective (as has been said quite eloquently by many other posters). My edict is 'Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you'. Simple. Others may feel that killing others is ok, I do not. I'd rather not be killed, thank you. But, you can try all you want to force your morals onto others, but it won't work. Just look around you, it's pretty obvious.

So, in conclusion, there is no creator, no god, no ID. None. Nada. Zilch. Null. This is my personal opinion and until I am proven otherwise I will stick with it, thank you very much .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality