U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 AM

5,498 posts, read 4,407,869 times

Advertisements

Has anyone read or heard about this Book 'Science Declares Or Universe is Itelligently Designed' by Robert A. Herrmann. If so what think Ye?

Here is a link to his website: Dr. Robert A. Herrmann's (GID) Intelligent Design and Considerably More Web Site (http://www.serve.com/herrmann/main.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,370,174 times
No, I usually read nonfiction. The title is a complete travesty. "Science" hasn't declared any such thing.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
No, I usually read nonfiction. The title is a complete travesty. "Science" hasn't declared any such thing.
Thanks for the sarcasism - if you have not read it how would you know? From what I read on the site he approaches it from a strictly mathematical and logical perspective.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:07 AM

From the first paragraph on his website.

'My analysis (the GID-model, GID) is not related, in method, to the very inadequate and highly criticized Johnson-Dembski-Behe theory (RID) as championed by members of the Discovery Institute. The GID-model (General Intelligent Design Model) is NOT the intelligent design notion discussed on Wikipedia under the heading "intelligent design" and, indeed, contradicts much written there about intelligent design.'

Old 02-26-2009, 01:17 AM

30,038 posts, read 30,705,281 times
And here is his bias...
As a minimal requirement, I consider a properly constructed scientific theory or model a (Biblical) "creationary" science theory or model if it, at the least, does not contradict a strict interpretation of the Bible's Genesis 1 creationary statements. The strength of any such theory or model depends upon whether it also predicts not only each Biblical creationary event, including the Genesis Flood, but whether it also predicts physical events as observed today. Although such an interpretation is not necessary, there is a theological interpretation of the GGU-model that yields every strictly interpreted physical event as described in Genesis through the Flood, as well as, all physical events that have been observed and recorded since the Flood. Of course, besides this minimal requirement, Biblical creationary theories can validate many other theological principles.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
And here is his bias...
As a minimal requirement, I consider a properly constructed scientific theory or model a (Biblical) "creationary" science theory or model if it, at the least, does not contradict a strict interpretation of the Bible's Genesis 1 creationary statements. The strength of any such theory or model depends upon whether it also predicts not only each Biblical creationary event, including the Genesis Flood, but whether it also predicts physical events as observed today. Although such an interpretation is not necessary, there is a theological interpretation of the GGU-model that yields every strictly interpreted physical event as described in Genesis through the Flood, as well as, all physical events that have been observed and recorded since the Flood. Of course, besides this minimal requirement, Biblical creationary theories can validate many other theological principles.
I wish you would give the context - I do not think he uses this as a starting point but somthing that can be drawn from his model and hence a proper 'creation' or biblical model.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM

3,031 posts, read 7,872,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Thanks for the sarcasism - if you have not read it how would you know? From what I read on the site he approaches it from a strictly mathematical and logical perspective.
"Intelligent Design" doesn't belong in the atheist/agnostic forum. That's more of a philosophy thing.

Oh, and it's a bunch of crap.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
"Intelligent Design" doesn't belong in the atheist/agnostic forum. That's more of a philosophy thing.

Oh, and it's a bunch of crap.
I think your response is a bunch of crap. That is not a perspective when you have not read the book nor noticed the preceding post about its differences with the typical ID movement. Stop being so emotional and reactionary. If you can not offer any reasonable or constructive criticism (which you cant's because you have not read the book nor anything on his site) why don't you just ignore the post.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM

3,031 posts, read 7,872,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I think your response is a bunch of crap. That is not a perspective when you have not read the book nor noticed the preceding post about its differences with the typical ID movement. Stop being so emotional and reactionary. If you can not offer any reasonable or constructive criticism (which you cant's because you have not read the book nor anything on his site) why don't you just ignore the post.
I would have, except YOU wrongly chose to post it in the Atheist/Agnostic forum thankyouverymuch. Now that it's been moved to a more appropriate forum, I couldn't care less if that's what you believe. It just didn't belong where you put it.

And no, I don't believe in any sort of ID any more than I believe in any deities or anythign supernatural.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,453,153 times
Shiloh1, the only people who will read these books are those who already believe in ID. Book discussions do not make good thread in CD. From experience, I think that it's best to talk about arguments the book makes since that way it will be an accessible dicussion to more CD members
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality