U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,225 times

Advertisements

I think people are very one-track-minded when thinking of sociopaths. People tend to think of sociopaths as serial killers that we hear about on the news or watch on tv. What we must keep in mind is that sociopathy is simply the lack of emotion. Sociopaths typically don't demonstrate many emotions at all, not anger, not happiness, not sadness, etc. They do know how to IMITATE these emotions, but I don't know if they genuinely FEEL them. I, personally, believe that sociopaths are born with this lack of emotion. Although life brutalities can teach you to SUPPRESS your emotions, the complete lack of them cannot be gained by any life experience. That is simply a difference in the wiring of somebody's brain.

Just like MPC2000 said in his response, he identifies with being a sociopath and since his childhood, he has never felt those emotions that most people feel. But he also noted that he is not a killer and does not have any urges to kill people. I think THAT is where the nature vs. nurture comes in. You are BORN a sociopath (born with a lack of emotions), but your URGES are definitely shaped by your environment and experiences. Just because you lack the same emotions as others does not mean that you were born with a desire to inflict pain on others. That comes as a result of something bad happening in your life. There are PLENTY of sociopaths that are just fine in society because they know the difference between right and wrong just like everyone else and they have no reason to act against that. It's just easier for a born sociopath to commit certain acts more easily than a non-sociopath because they don't have the same feelings of pain or guilt that most others might naturally feel.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,341,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamashane View Post
Amazing how a sociopath can charm you into believing they are worthy of being loved, when little by little you see their rage, and lack of concern for anyone including their own children. They explain their behavior with alcohol abuse. I have had a personal relationship with this person for several years, and it scares me how easily I was taken in and how difficult it was to get away. When times were good they were great and joyful, but when things went south it was awful, dramatic, traumatic, painful and scary. I found my self waiting for the good times to come back, when finally it got physical and not in a good way, that was the ultimate clue, that I needed to get away.
If you have any doubts about someone, trust your gut and walk away before it gets really ugly.
Sounds just like my ex.

Six kids in the family and only one turned out to be a waste of oxygen. He put up a good front until I was pregnant with our daughter and then he became abusive. Just little things at first like grabbing my arm but it escalated to the point of attempted murder. That's when I took the kids and ran.

He had good parents, a normal childhood but he's just "wrong" and he doesn't care about anything except himself. I'm amazed that he's not a serial killer. There's still time though.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,096,791 times
Is it possible to be semi-sociopathic?
Lack of empathy, but to specific inclinations toward crueltly?

I think some people are born that way and some are made to be that way.

As usual, don't ask me percentages. I just base my opinion on personal experiences and relationships with people I know.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,552,571 times
usually not but never say never.
failure to develop a strong sense of self and with it empathy is probably the biggest seed pod invironment for the budding sociopath.
btw --- most people on CDF dont have a clue what a sociopath is. they mostly use it to name call people they dont like.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:24 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,096,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
failure to develop a strong sense of self and with it empathy is probably the biggest seed pod invironment for the budding sociopath.
btw --- most people on CDF dont have a clue what a sociopath is. they mostly use it to name call people they dont like.

I should probably google this. I think maybe I looked it up in a dictionary once...But what is YOUR defition of a sociopath? Anyone can answer, not really directed at anyone specific.

Two things come to my mind when I think of the word. 1 Lack of empathy. and 2 yep - serial killers

I don't necessarily think that all sociopaths are potential murders. I guess I am gonna have to google this.

How did this thread end up on the religion forum? Shouldn't it be under mental health?

Old 02-04-2012, 03:24 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,552,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I should probably google this. I think maybe I looked it up in a dictionary once...But what is YOUR defition of a sociopath? Anyone can answer, not really directed at anyone specific.

Two things come to my mind when I think of the word. 1 Lack of empathy. and 2 yep - serial killers

I don't necessarily think that all sociopaths are potential murders. I guess I am gonna have to google this.

How did this thread end up on the religion forum? Shouldn't it be under mental health?
didnt give it.
but maybe this will help.
http://www.9types.com/wwwboard/messages/18332.html

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-04-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,390,370 times
there is a difference between being tame and being domesticated.

its the same with people.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 AM

9,484 posts, read 16,465,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I think this is quite true that most people don't have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post

What comes to my mind is: lack of empathy, lack of conscience, lack of love. The ability to lie easily and feign emotions. Not all sociopaths are serial killers and in fact those would be in the minority, even of sociopaths and a good thing too as I read recently that as many as 1 in 25 people may be sociopaths.

I believe that true sociopaths are born, not made and show their colors very early on, as early as infancy perhaps. Just like other mental disorders, all sociopaths are not the same. Some are cruel and others are just parasitic, sponging off other people. Some are good actors and some are terrible ones. My sis is a sociopath and she's a parasitic type who is a terrible actor and none of us believe one word that comes out of her mouth. She was raised in a normal family--somewhat dysfunctional, but compared to some of the stuff you hear about today, not so bad. No abuse or anything like that and my brother and I are productive citizens. I'm pretty sure sis would never murder anyone--not that it would make her feel bad, but she'd hate to have to go thru the effort of hiding the body--too much work.

I also believe that there are separate disorders that are caused by problems in infancy like what you see in orphanages or from early childhood abuse and these can mimic sociopathy but I don't think they are quite the same. Sociopaths may also concoct a story to explain why they are the way they are as they will never take personal responsibility for anything, but this is done just to gain the victim's sympathy.

I recently read a good book on the subject--The Sociopath Next Door and it was very interesting and enlightening and she talks about some of the different ways the disorder can manifest itself.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,462,333 times
June is closing this thread as it does not pertain to this particular forum.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-15-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality