Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 AM

40 posts, read 128,925 times

Advertisements

I was shocked and saddened when our highly respected and charismatic Pastor was fired by the board when he was caught in an affair with one of the Church Secretaries. She was 15 years younger than him and quite attractive.

Now he is unemployed and has moved in with the ex Church Secretary. She is also unemployed, but has job prospects.

I wonder if someone who was fired as a Lutheran Minister for something like this will ever be able to work in his field again. I understand the process for getting a job as a Minister is incredibly taxing and can take months of background checks and interviews.

If he could not get back into the Church what type of skilled job would he be able to get now days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 01:34 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,352 times
So what's his status with the Synod/Conference/Ecclesiastical Association/Committee on Ministry or whatever body has licensed him? If his credentials have been revoked or suspended, he's not getting a job anywhere in that particular licensing discipline. Maybe he can change to another synod/conference/association and convince them to license/credential him.

Without ecclesiastical standing he's either going to have to run an independent, non-affiliated church or do something else.

If he's been fired by his current church but still has his licenses/credentials, he might get placed somewhere - but he'll need to make a full disclosure and hope that a new church will forgive his indiscretions and issue him a call.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
He should start a televangelist "mission". Adultery, drug use, and all sorts of other activities like that are welcomed in that group. :P

Old 02-27-2009, 02:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
SuSuSushi wrote:
Quote:
He should start a televangelist "mission".
Yes, remember when Jimmy Swaggert got caught with a prostitute? He just did a little sniveling in front of the congregation and later came back as a newly redeemed man. That minister in Colorado (can't think of his name) who was linked to a male prostitute is also trying to make a comeback.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
Many year ago, I worked in a children's dental practice. Three dentists one of which was a Mormon bishop. He was so two faced. Once in a great while they would take us mere assistants to lunch. There he would put on a good show of prayer and of course never touch a drop of caffeine. All the while he was having a wild fling with the office manager in the office after hours. We all knew it. He was such a jerk.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
You know, with all the pressures they face, ministers will sometimes go off the rails like that. I was good friends with a Methodist minister who didn't have an affair, but he bought a TransAm, start wearing snakeskin boots, and started hanging out on my TV shoots. He decided that was much more glamorous than preaching, leaving the ministry and his bewildered wife in his wake. Last time I saw him, he was selling suits at a local department store.

This is why most denominations subject ministry candidates to all kinds of psychological testing, to minimize this kind of stuff.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:16 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
People having affairs sounds okay to me. I wish them more luck and more passionate affairs.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,567 times
It really upsets me to see such ignorance. A church Minister is someone who should be respected. How can you respect a hypocrit??!!! I myself was taken advantage of when I had suddenly been bereaved. The local Minister took advantage of his position and lied to his church. They still believe his lies. He was sacked but some how continues to work with venerable people.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:21 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Damn! I thought there might be some sordid details of the affair....but nothin'!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:23 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post
...If he could not get back into the Church what type of skilled job would he be able to get now days?
In some measure this is going to depend upon whether when the church is asked for his credentials, etc. they decide to make a point of mentioning his affair as the reason for his separation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality