Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 13,412 times

Advertisements

A friend and myself were wondering what the significance of salt in different religions was? I have read in many fiction as well as heard through friends about people (mainly in the wiccan religion) putting salt around their doors and windows, and I was wondering what the significance of doing this is? and if some one knows could anyone tell me why salt? I am just genually curious is all. I do not find it stupid or crazy in anyway, I simply wish to know and would greatly appreciate any help in this area.

*~ Ellie ~*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:05 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
That is truly a strange question and not something I'm familiar with. The only reference to salt in the Bible I can think of is when God was in a bad mood and turned a few folks into pillars of salt but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:16 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves~In~The~Distance View Post
A friend and myself were wondering what the significance of salt in different religions was? I have read in many fiction as well as heard through friends about people (mainly in the wiccan religion) putting salt around their doors and windows, and I was wondering what the significance of doing this is? and if some one knows could anyone tell me why salt? I am just genually curious is all. I do not find it stupid or crazy in anyway, I simply wish to know and would greatly appreciate any help in this area.

*~ Ellie ~*

thinking of salt ("you are the salt of the Earth..") always points me to some form of medicine ...

there is so much to google .... for body, mind, and spirit!

and tx, miss ellie, my welcome to you, here.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 PM

MontanaGuy: I know, even to me it is a weird question, but one I am completely curious about...

Effie Briest: Thankyou for the welcome!! Please let me know if your are able to find anything!! I have been searching as well...

*~ Ellie ~*

Old 03-01-2009, 06:55 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Why not salt?

Look at the settings where the Bible mentions salt.

(Gen 14:3) These last five kings6 joined forces7 in the Valley of Siddim (that is, the Salt Sea).8

(Gen 19:26) But Lot's74 wife looked back longingly75 and was turned into a pillar of salt.

(Lev 2:13) Moreover, you must season every one of your grain offerings with salt; you must not allow the salt of the covenant of your God to be missing from your grain offering24 -- on every one of your grain offerings you must present salt.

(Num 18:19) All the raised offerings of the holy things that the Israelites offer to the LORD, I have given to you, and to your sons and daughters with you, as a perpetual ordinance. It is a covenant of salt17 forever before the LORD for you and for your descendants with you."

(Num 34:3) your southern border4 will extend from the wilderness of Zin along the Edomite border, and your southern border will run eastward to the extremity of the Salt Sea,

(Num 34:12) Then the border will continue down the Jordan River12 and its direction will be to the Salt Sea. This will be your land by its borders that surround it.' "

(Deu 3:17) The Arabah and the Jordan River33 were also a border, from the sea of Chinnereth34 to the sea of the Arabah (that is, the Salt Sea),35 beneath the watershed36 of Pisgah37 to the east.

(Deu 29:23) The whole land will be covered with brimstone, salt, and burning debris; it will not be planted nor will it sprout or produce grass. It will resemble the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboiim, which the LORD destroyed in his intense anger.33

(Jos 3:16) the water coming downstream toward them stopped flowing.21 It piled up far upstream22 at Adam (the city near Zarethan); there was no water at all flowing to the sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea).23 The people crossed the river opposite Jericho.24

(Jos 12:3) His kingdom included5 the eastern Arabah from the Sea of Kinnereth6 to the Sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea),7 including the route to Beth Jeshimoth and the area southward below the slopes of Pisgah.

(Jos 15:2) Their southern border started at the southern tip of the Salt Sea,2

(Jos 15:5) The eastern border was the Salt Sea to the mouth7 of the Jordan River.8
The northern border started north of the Salt Sea at the mouth of the Jordan,9

(Jos 15:62) Nibshan, the city of Salt, and En Gedi -- a total of six cities and their towns.

(Jos 18:19) It then crossed to the slope of Beth Hoglah to the north and ended at the northern tip of the Salt Sea20 at the mouth of the Jordan River.21 This was the southern border.

(Jdg 9:45) Abimelech fought against the city all that day. He captured the city and killed all the people in it. Then he leveled95 the city and spread salt over it.96

(2Sa 8:13) David became famous25 when he returned from defeating the Arameans26 in the Valley of Salt, he defeated27 18,000 in all.

(2Ki 2:20) Elisha25 said, "Get me a new jar and put some salt in it." So they got it.

(2Ki 2:21) He went out to the spring and threw the salt in. Then he said, "This is what the LORD says, 'I have purified26 this water. It will no longer cause death or fail to produce crops."27

(2Ki 14:7) He defeated13 10,000 Edomites in the Salt Valley; he captured Sela in battle and renamed it Joktheel, a name it has retained to this very day.

(1Ch 18:12) Abishai son of Zeruiah25 killed 18,000 Edomites in the Valley of Salt.

(2Ch 25:11) Amaziah boldly led his army to the Valley of Salt,21 where he defeated22 10,000 Edomites.23

(Ezr 6:9) Whatever is needed -- whether oxen or rams or lambs or burnt offerings for the God of heaven or wheat or salt or wine or oil, as required by14 the priests who are in Jerusalem -- must be given to them daily without any neglect,

(Ezr 7:22) up to 100 talents of silver, 100 kors of wheat, 100 baths of wine, 100 baths of olive oil,23 and unlimited24 salt.

(Job 6:6) Can food that is tasteless21 be eaten without salt?
Or is there any taste in the white22 of an egg?

(Job 30:4) By the brush9 they would gather10 herbs from the salt marshes,11
and the root of the broom tree was their food.

(Job 39:6) to whom I appointed the steppe for its home,
the salt wastes as its dwelling place?

(Psa 60:1) Psalm 601

For the music director; according to the shushan-eduth style;2 a prayer3 of David written to instruct others.4 It was written when he fought against Aram Naharaim and Aram-Zobah. That was when Joab turned back and struck down5 12,000 Edomites6 in the Valley of Salt.7

O God, you have rejected us.8
You suddenly turned on us in your anger.9
Please restore us!10

(Jer 17:6) They will be like a shrub15 in the desert.
They will not experience good things even when they happen.
It will be as though they were growing in the desert,
in a salt land where no one can live.

(Eze 16:4) As for your birth, on the day you were born your umbilical cord was not cut, nor were you washed in water;2 you were certainly not rubbed down with salt, nor wrapped with blankets.3

(Eze 43:24) You will present them before the LORD, and the priests will scatter salt on them30 and offer them up as a burnt offering to the LORD.

(Zep 2:9) Therefore, as surely as I live," says the LORD who commands armies, the God of Israel,
"be certain that Moab will become like Sodom
and the Ammonites like Gomorrah.
They will be overrun by weeds,32
filled with salt pits,33
and permanently desolate.
Those of my people who are left34 will plunder their belongings;35
those who are left in Judah36 will take possession of their land."

(Mat 5:13) Salt and Light

"You are the salt13 of the earth. But if salt loses its flavor,14 how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled on by people.

(Mar 9:50) Salt62 is good, but if it loses its saltiness,63 how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other."

(Luk 14:34) "Salt106 is good, but if salt loses its flavor,107 how can its flavor be restored?

(Col 4:6) Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer everyone.

(Jas 3:12) Can a fig tree produce olives, my brothers and sisters,20 or a vine produce figs? Neither can a salt water spring produce fresh water.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:06 PM

Wow!! Thankyou KDBRICH for that, I never realized how much it was in there, thats really neat information and noted!!!

*~ Ellie ~*

Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Why not salt?

Look at the settings where the Bible mentions salt.

(Gen 14:3) These last five kings6 joined forces7 in the Valley of Siddim (that is, the Salt Sea).8

(Gen 19:26) But Lot's74 wife looked back longingly75 and was turned into a pillar of salt.

(Lev 2:13) Moreover, you must season every one of your grain offerings with salt; you must not allow the salt of the covenant of your God to be missing from your grain offering24 -- on every one of your grain offerings you must present salt.

(Num 18:19) All the raised offerings of the holy things that the Israelites offer to the LORD, I have given to you, and to your sons and daughters with you, as a perpetual ordinance. It is a covenant of salt17 forever before the LORD for you and for your descendants with you."

(Num 34:3) your southern border4 will extend from the wilderness of Zin along the Edomite border, and your southern border will run eastward to the extremity of the Salt Sea,

(Num 34:12) Then the border will continue down the Jordan River12 and its direction will be to the Salt Sea. This will be your land by its borders that surround it.' "

(Deu 3:17) The Arabah and the Jordan River33 were also a border, from the sea of Chinnereth34 to the sea of the Arabah (that is, the Salt Sea),35 beneath the watershed36 of Pisgah37 to the east.

(Deu 29:23) The whole land will be covered with brimstone, salt, and burning debris; it will not be planted nor will it sprout or produce grass. It will resemble the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, Admah and Zeboiim, which the LORD destroyed in his intense anger.33

(Jos 3:16) the water coming downstream toward them stopped flowing.21 It piled up far upstream22 at Adam (the city near Zarethan); there was no water at all flowing to the sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea).23 The people crossed the river opposite Jericho.24

(Jos 12:3) His kingdom included5 the eastern Arabah from the Sea of Kinnereth6 to the Sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea),7 including the route to Beth Jeshimoth and the area southward below the slopes of Pisgah.

(Jos 15:2) Their southern border started at the southern tip of the Salt Sea,2

(Jos 15:5) The eastern border was the Salt Sea to the mouth7 of the Jordan River.8
The northern border started north of the Salt Sea at the mouth of the Jordan,9

(Jos 15:62) Nibshan, the city of Salt, and En Gedi -- a total of six cities and their towns.

(Jos 18:19) It then crossed to the slope of Beth Hoglah to the north and ended at the northern tip of the Salt Sea20 at the mouth of the Jordan River.21 This was the southern border.

(Jdg 9:45) Abimelech fought against the city all that day. He captured the city and killed all the people in it. Then he leveled95 the city and spread salt over it.96

(2Sa 8:13) David became famous25 when he returned from defeating the Arameans26 in the Valley of Salt, he defeated27 18,000 in all.

(2Ki 2:20) Elisha25 said, "Get me a new jar and put some salt in it." So they got it.

(2Ki 2:21) He went out to the spring and threw the salt in. Then he said, "This is what the LORD says, 'I have purified26 this water. It will no longer cause death or fail to produce crops."27

(2Ki 14:7) He defeated13 10,000 Edomites in the Salt Valley; he captured Sela in battle and renamed it Joktheel, a name it has retained to this very day.

(1Ch 18:12) Abishai son of Zeruiah25 killed 18,000 Edomites in the Valley of Salt.

(2Ch 25:11) Amaziah boldly led his army to the Valley of Salt,21 where he defeated22 10,000 Edomites.23

(Ezr 6:9) Whatever is needed -- whether oxen or rams or lambs or burnt offerings for the God of heaven or wheat or salt or wine or oil, as required by14 the priests who are in Jerusalem -- must be given to them daily without any neglect,

(Ezr 7:22) up to 100 talents of silver, 100 kors of wheat, 100 baths of wine, 100 baths of olive oil,23 and unlimited24 salt.

(Job 6:6) Can food that is tasteless21 be eaten without salt?
Or is there any taste in the white22 of an egg?

(Job 30:4) By the brush9 they would gather10 herbs from the salt marshes,11
and the root of the broom tree was their food.

(Job 39:6) to whom I appointed the steppe for its home,
the salt wastes as its dwelling place?

(Psa 60:1) Psalm 601

For the music director; according to the shushan-eduth style;2 a prayer3 of David written to instruct others.4 It was written when he fought against Aram Naharaim and Aram-Zobah. That was when Joab turned back and struck down5 12,000 Edomites6 in the Valley of Salt.7

O God, you have rejected us.8
You suddenly turned on us in your anger.9
Please restore us!10

(Jer 17:6) They will be like a shrub15 in the desert.
They will not experience good things even when they happen.
It will be as though they were growing in the desert,
in a salt land where no one can live.

(Eze 16:4) As for your birth, on the day you were born your umbilical cord was not cut, nor were you washed in water;2 you were certainly not rubbed down with salt, nor wrapped with blankets.3

(Eze 43:24) You will present them before the LORD, and the priests will scatter salt on them30 and offer them up as a burnt offering to the LORD.

(Zep 2:9) Therefore, as surely as I live," says the LORD who commands armies, the God of Israel,
"be certain that Moab will become like Sodom
and the Ammonites like Gomorrah.
They will be overrun by weeds,32
filled with salt pits,33
and permanently desolate.
Those of my people who are left34 will plunder their belongings;35
those who are left in Judah36 will take possession of their land."

(Mat 5:13) Salt and Light

"You are the salt13 of the earth. But if salt loses its flavor,14 how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled on by people.

(Mar 9:50) Salt62 is good, but if it loses its saltiness,63 how can you make it salty again? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other."

(Luk 14:34) "Salt106 is good, but if salt loses its flavor,107 how can its flavor be restored?

(Col 4:6) Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer everyone.

(Jas 3:12) Can a fig tree produce olives, my brothers and sisters,20 or a vine produce figs? Neither can a salt water spring produce fresh water.

for these quotations i am very grateful, as well.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm still curious to see if there is other mention of salt in the other religions as well...

*~ Ellie ~*

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves~In~The~Distance View Post
I'm still curious to see if there is other mention of salt in the other religions as well...

*~ Ellie ~*

you mean, i should take you around to the salt mines ..? ~~

and ... btw. not to be forgotten ...

http://library.thinkquest.org/13406/sh/

Last edited by effie g-tad; 03-01-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Oh I know I know!!! To keep the SLUGS out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality