Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 06:41 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever_Learning28 View Post
No offense Lionpainter, but I have yet to see "God's power". Prayer does nothing, and don't understand "know the goodness of God's love". That sentence makes no sense to me. Maybe you can explain a little further?? Thank you! Again, no offense intended at all, as my title says, I'm all about learning!
I am going to be 59 years old in Aug. and over the years I have had a number of encounters with God. Once many years ago I failed a job interview, and it was at a time when I really needed a job. I was living at home at the time, and as I was going up the stairs to my bedroom when God suddenly spoke to me and said. "Tom, you did everything but pray about getting a job." So with that, I continued up the stairs and entered my moms bedroom. I then knelt down by her bed, and ask Jesus in a prayer if He could help me get a job. I then said, Jesus, whatever happens now will be because of you. As soon as I said the (A) in Amen, the phone next to me began to ring. When I picked up the receiver, the man on the other end of the line told me he had just picked up some paperwork I had left on his desk from two weeks before, and then asked me if I could start work for their company the next Monday morning. I was still on my knees when I told him I could. And that was my first experience with the power of God. Since that time, I have a number of encounters with the living God, and the other spirits that oppose Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 PM

10 posts, read 15,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I am going to be 59 years old in Aug. and over the years I have had a number of encounters with God. Once many years ago I failed a job interview, and it was at a time when I really needed a job. I was living at home at the time, and as I was going up the stairs to my bedroom when God suddenly spoke to me and said. "Tom, you did everything but pray about getting a job." So with that, I continued up the stairs and entered my moms bedroom. I then knelt down by her bed, and ask Jesus in a prayer if He could help me get a job. I then said, Jesus, whatever happens now will be because of you. As soon as I said the (A) in Amen, the phone next to me began to ring. When I picked up the receiver, the man on the other end of the line told me he had just picked up some paperwork I had left on his desk from two weeks before, and then asked me if I could start work for their company the next Monday morning. I was still on my knees when I told him I could. And that was my first experience with the power of God. Since that time, I have a number of encounters with the living God, and the other spirits that oppose Him.
Wow! Ok, again, no offense, but I have a hard time believing that this isn't a joke! Do you really believe you are so important that your god what, dropped everything, heard your cry about not having a job and told you to pray?? Why then, would he not just get you the job, because "he" is so important you need to kneel down and say the word "Amen" before he will answer your prayer? And more importantly, was he so busy finding you a job that he forgot to answer the prayers of those parents begging for their children suffering of cancer to have one more chance? Is that why he doesn't answer their prayers, because he was busy at the time...oh wait, I forgot, it's all part of his bigger plan right?! How very cruel and sad for him to have destroyed that family all because he has a bigger plan for you after you're dead!!! Honestly, I don't believe any of it! You claim he loves his children, created them in his image and likeness...why then do you have to "pray" to get his help...why does he not help those poor children who were dropped into the home of drug users or child abusers? Oh, because those children don't know anything about praying, they never went to church, so, oh well, they don't get god's help, right?!!! I'm sorry....your examples will have to be MUCH better than this ridiculous story of your so called god getting you a job, give me a break!!!! Again, no offense...but I believe you've all had a lifetime of brainwashing, and perhaps a little logic and reason would help you see a little more clearly the TRUTH!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:08 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,330,676 times
For God so loved what He created (man) that He sent His Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, to bless the mind and soul of man to give him a conscious to know right from wrong.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:15 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
\o/ \o/ \o/

Old 05-28-2009, 05:41 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default My Wrong Turn?

Sorry: I wandered over here because the thread title mentioned Evolution. I musta mis-read something....

Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
and questions of the day..

Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 PM

Evolution was created by God so that mankind would understand the interconnection between him and the earth. Did not God take dust of the earth to create man? God wants man not to destroy the "gift" that He gave to him, that being the earth. For man to be humble upon this planet and to know why God created evolution so man wouldn't destroy His home. When God saw what He created, He so loved His creation, that He sent the Holy Spirit to bless the mind and soul of man, to give conscious to the greater good of life.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:44 PM

You have little faith. My Mother, who's name is Mary, died of cancer when I was three yrs old. My Mother knew she was dying and knew my father could not take care of all five of us. So she planned that all of us would go to the orphanage together. You might think that God was horrible to do this to us, but I would tell you, it was God's way of awakening His Son.

I can tell you with all certainty that God exist and Jesus Christ. And I tell you with all certainty, that God's Word is at hand.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever_Learning28 View Post
No offense Lionpainter, but I have yet to see "God's power". Prayer does nothing, and don't understand "know the goodness of God's love". That sentence makes no sense to me. Maybe you can explain a little further?? Thank you! Again, no offense intended at all, as my title says, I'm all about learning!
No offense taken! That's why I'm here. To teach. The goodness of God's love is in Jesus Christ, but also in the fact that He gives man so many great pleasures. Do you not laugh when something is funny? Do you not cry when you hurt or when someone you love is hurting? Those are gifts. The joys of life. You don't know me cause you have no faith, for you do not believe.

Do you have a battery in you that makes you tick. Do you have to plug in to get recharged. Don't get silly on me now. I know what your thinking..lol..

Oh, yeah, electrical impulses coming from somewhere in the human body that keeps us going. But, it's so much more than that.

Since we don't have a plug to plug us into a wall, since we have no batteries to keep our heart ticking, than how is it that we stay alive. That power must be awesome.

Sure we can short circuit our system, by not eating, committing suicide, or just being lazy, but God gave us freewill. And, yes we do wear out, but it's our bodies that wear out, our spirit lives until judgment day. Remember, we have no batteries to create the electrical charge. Can you possibly understand how that is possible? Where flesh and bone, no steel conduit, no wiring. Flesh and bone and yet we create electrical impulses. HOW! that is some power.

Tell you what, can you create a body of flesh and bone that can do all things that we do without a battery operated power pack? GOD can.

Have a blessed day. You should try praying with faith and belief that some power far greater than anything man has created, has created you.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default or.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
Did not God take dust of the earth to create man?

Nope. Sorry; this is opinion only. Certainly can't be stated as fact.

God wants man not to destroy the "gift" that He gave to him, that being the earth. For man to be humble upon this planet and to know why God created evolution so man wouldn't destroy His home. When God saw what He created, He so loved His creation, that He sent the Holy Spirit to bless the mind and soul of man, to give conscious to the greater good of life.
Hmmm... interesting old tyme myth, created back when we didn't know better. Wasn't it in the musical "Oklahoma" when someone said "'Tain't necessarily so!"??

Since then there's been a whole lotta learnin' goin on, roun' he-ya!

Quote:
You have little faith.

You say that like it's a bad thing, Lionpainter. I completely agree, but do not accept it as a critcism; atheists have little or no "faith" in the supernatural to "take care of" anything, because statistics (which don't really lie) show that the number of times that prayers are answered as requested is less than 50% (they're usually far too specific to ever work out even close to 50/50.)

So, stated differently, in the majority of cases, the prayer request is NOT answered, and the wrong thing happens just like it would have without the prayer.

Of course, when something happens to work out as requested, why, "It's Another Miracle Proof of The Liviing God!"

Sorry; not good enough for me nor my fellow dis-believers.

My Mother, who's name is Mary, died of cancer when I was three yrs old. My Mother knew she was dying and knew my father could not take care of all five of us. So she planned that all of us would go to the orphanage together. You might think that God was horrible to do this to us, but I would tell you, it was God's way of awakening His Son.

I can tell you with all certainty that God exist and Jesus Christ. And I tell you with all certainty, that God's Word is at hand.
And I can tell you with all the exact same certainty that there is absolutely no God nor Christ as a son of God. "God's word" is but a collection of old myths put together when we had no better explanations for anything, and whoever told the best fireside stories got the vote!

Now, we have rigorous scientific investigation (which was just an outgrowth of our natural curiosity, and which the Church tried hard to supress for centuries) which has put aside so many of the old fear-mongering fables that, well, we just know better about now.

And are the better for it, frankly, Far more humble than if we assigned ourselves to be "God's Chosen Children".

Quote:
No offense taken! That's why I'm here. To teach. The goodness of God's love is in Jesus Christ, but also in the fact that He gives man so many great pleasures. Do you not laugh when something is funny? Do you not cry when you hurt or when someone you love is hurting? Those are gifts.

Nope. I don't see it that way at all. They are just complex biochemical reactions honed by eons of evolutionary improvement, emotional conditioning and positive feeback systems designed to help us survive. Simple & functional. Our abstractions are just that; fantasy additions.

You don't know me cause you have no faith, for you do not believe.

Exactly. We/I do not believe. Thank gawd!

Tell you what, can you create a body of flesh and bone that can do all things that we do without a battery operated power pack? GOD can.

Really? Show me, and don't just say it has happened. Remember, opinions don't count here. He hasn't shown me any such abilities yet. But a simple chemistry experiment can show me virtually the same thing. Science marches on; watch British life science researchers in the next 12 mo; they are on the verge of creating functioning, reproducing, reactive life molecules from lifeless chemicals.

Ooooppsss...

Have a blessed day. You should try praying with faith and belief that some power far greater than anything man has created, has created you.
Tried it; questioned it, came away happer not believing, not hampered by old fables and constructs.

Last edited by rifleman; 05-29-2009 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: typoz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality