Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 PM
amx

10 posts, read 13,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If murder is wrong or not has little effect on what people will do.
One characteristic of being human is the ability to reason.
'Thou shalt not kill' is apparently the commandment that stops us from transgressing.

Why so many theists wish to carry out judicious capital punishment, compared to atheists who tend to argue against such killings seems to defy such an ability to reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amx View Post
'Thou shalt not kill' is apparently the commandment that stops us from transgressing.
Surely you know that there is no such commandment. The wording reads, "Thou shalt not murder." Killing, as occurs during wartime, for example, has never been prohibited.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
OP
I love questions like this, because it challenges thinking and reason.
And it gives me a chance to say "I don't know" and not sound like I am saying "I Dunno"
Culturally, we can trace back to many ancient societies holding a prohibition to killing, but that often included murder and within one's own society and tribe. In addition, we can look at Mesolithic burials and see that there was a ceremony for the dead, indicating that a respect had to exist for the living as well, otherwise there would not have been any emphaiss placed on mourning and the funeral ritual ...SO it may be a very very old concept indeed
Too bad it is not followed today

Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
amx

10 posts, read 13,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Surely you know that there is no such commandment. The wording reads, "Thou shalt not murder." Killing, as occurs during wartime, for example, has never been prohibited.
That's what gets very amusing about these subjects.

Suddenly you become an expert in hebrew. Not even modern hebrew but the ancient stuff written 2000 years ago.

It's amusing to me.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amx View Post
That's what gets very amusing about these subjects.

Suddenly you become an expert in hebrew. Not even modern hebrew but the ancient stuff written 2000 years ago.

It's amusing to me.
I don't understand the "amusing" part. In the first place, what do you know about my knowledge of Hebrew (which word is supposed to be capitalized, by the way. The way you spelled it is amusing to me). And in the second place, unless I'm very much mistaken, Scripture was written quite a while back, and most certainly not in modern Hebrew. In fact, it wasn't written in Hebrew at all, but Aramaic.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
What soul? The mythological "soul" doesn't exist. When a person dies, there's no life force or consciousness that continues on, you're just dead. Therefore, your "soul" never evolved and never existed.
On April 24, 1969 I got caught on a 7,400 volt eletrical line. Even though I was laying face down on the ground, I could see things around me that my physical eyes would of been unable to do. Without question, my spiritual body was leaving my physical body, and that was the only reason such a thing could of been possible. Your idea that we are just dead when we die is a false belief. I think the biggest shock for people will be when their body dies, and they find themselves fully intact and moving around. However, an even bigger shock will be when they discover the God they have denied all their life, is real.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I think 7,400 volts would have some very strange effects on the brain, which after all is an organic electrical device. Dead is dead I'm afraid, and it seems that you probably had a narrow escape. Delusions and hallucinations are common occurrences in events such as you describe, so because of you belief you make the experience fit what you already believe. That doesn't make it real.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
5 people could even take down a mammoth and eat like kings.
That's pretty far down in the evolutionary process, though. To get there, they'd have to get past the point of worrying about individual survival, and be able to think and plan out something like that.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think 7,400 volts would have some very strange effects on the brain, which after all is an organic electrical device. Dead is dead I'm afraid, and it seems that you probably had a narrow escape. Delusions and hallucinations are common occurrences in events such as you describe, so because of you belief you make the experience fit what you already believe. That doesn't make it real.
What I saw was confirmed latter on by those that were there at the time. It was not hallucinations, but confirmed facts. And confirmed facts, do make it real.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:37 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,689 times
So we've evolved to more stuff in the self-consciousness athe we truly know less and less about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality