Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The truth is the Lord holds the lizard in high regard as he allows the lizard's tail to regrow. Humans are at the bottom of God's totem pole.
And for good reason. I happen to think Lizards have a far better disposition than humans.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The truth is the Lord holds the lizard in high regard as he allows the lizard's tail to regrow. Humans are at the bottom of God's totem pole.
Maybe - but my 8-pound cat can't shred me to death with her claws in 2 seconds like she does with the geckos. Of course, often they get away with everything but the tail so maybe you're on to something.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
noland123 wrote:
Quote:
I lost my leg in a bad car accident back in 1981,by being bodily crushed between two cars,I feel fortunate just to be alive and not have lost my other leg. I thank the Lord for giving man the ability to build prosthetic limbs so that I could walk again.
Now I really feel bad about my stupid remarks about amputees dancing. Please accept my apology.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
So is your issue with religions or God? Why doesn't God miraculously heal amputees? Maybe He doesn't actively heal anyone, and these other "miracle healings" are falsely attributed to Him.

Maybe He just had not noticed that the limb was gone, and He will get around to growing a new one when He has time. Amputees just need to have more patience and wait their turn.

(I am being sarcastic )

Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Actually, a thought occurred to me. With all the mysticism and angel-worship, etc that our society is into...is it not logical that if someone had a hand grow back miraculously the person that God used to perform the miracle would be worshiped?

I mean...look at the catholic church. If they decide a person performed a miracle or two (or even that a healing happened after praying to them after they've died), the catholic church will declare them a "saint" and tell its members to devote prayers to them.

I wonder if maybe the reason we don't see it often is because we'd then worship the creation instead of the creator.
Of course that must be the reason.... If God allowed a limb to regrow his followers would all be into leg worship. Thou shalt not worship false gods.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
noland123 wrote:

Now I really feel bad about my stupid remarks about amputees dancing. Please accept my apology.
Apology accepted,I myself like to joke about my loss of leg or prosthetic device at times,so it is no big deal as far as I am concerned.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
DTO,everything is from God and is of God,so the prosthetic limb is the working of God. I consider it a miracle that I can slip my prosthesis on and walk again,otherwise I use crutches or a wheel chair.
There is definitely something spectacular in the workings of the human brain that allows man to develop the prosthesis that we see today. Think of all the things that had to be developed before it could be done. Certain metals, plastics, the study of joints, padding, etc. Where did this knowledge come from? The Brain is a most wonderous thing.

So, in one sense, God makes walking again possible. It's not necessary that He also grow a new leg.

My grandfather, back in the late 1800s, lost part of a leg due to an infected mosquito bite. Instead of just sitting and doing nothing, he whittled himself a pegleg out of a cypress tree log, added leather straps and figured a way to keep it on. What gave him the brain to do that?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Apology accepted,I myself like to joke about my loss of leg or prosthetic device at times,so it is no big deal as far as I am concerned.
Actually, some prosthetic legs are better than real legs. This is why athletes who have a prosthetic leg are banned from competing in the Olympics -- they'd have an advantage.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:39 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
There is definitely something spectacular in the workings of the human brain that allows man to develop the prosthesis that we see today. Think of all the things that had to be developed before it could be done. Certain metals, plastics, the study of joints, padding, etc. Where did this knowledge come from? The Brain is a most wonderous thing.

So, in one sense, God makes walking again possible. It's not necessary that He also grow a new leg.

My grandfather, back in the late 1800s, lost part of a leg due to an infected mosquito bite. Instead of just sitting and doing nothing, he whittled himself a pegleg out of a cypress tree log, added leather straps and figured a way to keep it on. What gave him the brain to do that?

This argument doesn't fly.

Let me break it down for you further.

Viral Diseases= Problem Y
Amputation= Problem Z

Medicine/Doctor= A
Body/Natural defense= B
God/faith= C

Cure= D

Problem Y: Y-[A+B+C]=D

Believer is diagnosed with cancer. Believer recieves medical treatment and the body's natural disease fighting abilities are also present and the believer also prays to god for to overcome the disease. All three ingredients are present and no one can take all the credit. Now take any ingredient you want and make it a placebo (A, B, or C) and you can still get to D.

Problem Z: Z-C doesn't = D

In ampuatations A and B aren't factors since the body doesn't regenerate limbs and medicine can not make an actual limb (non prosthetic). So the only thing left for the believer to bring to the equation is C. Since the beginning of time C has never equaled D, so in any scientific experiment you would come to the conclusion that after much testing in this regard, C is not a factor in getting to D when trying to solve for Y and Z.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
So what you're saying is..... he works in mysterious ways that we can't comprehend.

So, help us out here. What is God "working on" these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality