Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 08:34 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times

Advertisements

The age of prophets are over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 10:47 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Why are there no more prophets?
How about:

"We outgrew them"

Old 12-15-2016, 09:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Something that puzzles me about the bible and christianity in general is why there are no new prophets? Why, all those centuries ago, did god 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the bible, and then seemingly just stop? That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if god revealed himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
There are prophets....just that no one is listening...

Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
I'm wondering if the Jewish bible has been expanded past the canonization of the current Christian bible. Did the Jewish god stop talking through Jews or did he jump on the Jesus bandwagon?

Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I'm wondering if the Jewish bible has been expanded past the canonization of the current Christian bible. Did the Jewish god stop talking through Jews or did he jump on the Jesus bandwagon?
It would seem, since they are the "same" god, someone in the synagogue would be hearing a message..it is just a bit strange that the only communications from an all knowing god occurred over 2000 years ago and there has been NOTHING since?

The question has to be asked why the silence or isn't anyone listening?

Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
There's a story on this. According to some Jewish writings, the years after Jesus died before the temple fell, many of the Jewish priests couldnt do any of their mojo. Drawing lots failed, the cloth used for atonement wouldnt turn the right color, and the temple gates stayed open.

Christianity was a Jewish reform that the Jews ignored until their temple was gone.

The new covenant of God with his people = the NT. Because Jews dont follow this New Covenant, they are basically slaves to the old law tradition. God is speaking to some jews, but mainly telling them to update (female rabbi, for instance).

Old 12-16-2016, 09:40 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
was`nt Jesus the last prophet ? i seem to remember asking a preacher one time why there are no more miracle workers today and his reply was that GOD gave us Jesus as a piece of himself and we still killed him .. there would be no more ..

Old 12-16-2016, 10:01 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
was`nt Jesus the last prophet ? i seem to remember asking a preacher one time why there are no more miracle workers today and his reply was that GOD gave us Jesus as a piece of himself and we still killed him .. there would be no more ..
Hebrews 1 states that in the past God spoke to us through prophets, but today speaks to us through Jesus.

In addition to that, there was some manifestation of prophetic gifts, and some signs among the early church, and there is a reason for that --

1 Cor 1:21-23 “It pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles.”

Going on in 1 Cor 14:22, Paul says “tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers.”

There was a reason God gave worked in the church that way for a time -- it was to validate the message of the Gospel. I don't see that happening anymore. If God wants me to lay my hands on a person and heal them, or make me speak Swahili..it's going to happen. But for the most part, I just don't see that happening. I've been in services where people claim to speak in tongues, or healing goes on..I just don't see it as an authentic occurrence.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
There are prophets....just that no one is listening...

Bingo.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 AM

Everyone has been conned and wants a prophet like the OT nomads that wandered the countryside..

Prophets are found throughout our lives. Some are public-- others are simply delivering a message one-to-one..

LISTEN oh people...The message is there for those who have ears...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality