Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a Mary or Martha ?
I am a Mary 0 0%
I am a Martha 4 36.36%
I don't fit into either characteristic 4 36.36%
Who is Mary and Martha? 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:33 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times

Advertisements

Ok, during some of my Bible study today I read again of Mary and Martha and it got me to wondering how we relate to them, and if we see ourselves as either one of these ladies, and why we feel as we do.

So, I am anxious to see these posts and will post my own thoughts of myself later. This will be fun I do believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 08:42 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
And you think this is an EASY question?? I'm going to think about it overnight before I answer, but I'm leaning toward Martha. I'm pretty sure I'd be really concerned with whether the food was cooked, the table set, the house clean...you know, all those Martha-ish things!

Nite-Nite!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:47 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Ok, during some of my Bible study today I read again of Mary and Martha and it got me to wondering how we relate to them, and if we see ourselves as either one of these ladies, and why we feel as we do.

So, I am anxious to see these posts and will post my own thoughts of myself later. This will be fun I do believe.
Oh I wish I could say I'm a Mary but I'm more like Martha, I get too busy sometimes to listen to God, I let everyday "stuff" get in the way. We should never be too busy doing things for Jesus that we become too busy to spend time with Him. Martha was worried about things that really don't matter. I am trying to be more like Mary. This is a great question and has shown me once again I need to spend more time in the Scripture and more time talking to God and listening to Him.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 AM

I am a Martha. For years I raced around, ensuring my home was spotless when I would have company over. Fretted over this and that, and even considering new furniture on occassion!

And, goodness knows, if I had company coming to eat....whoaa....that meant FEAST....Can't just have one meat when two would be better. No simple salad when this elaborate one with 27 ingredients would look so much better on the buffet. Oh, and to show I was not lazy, I would decide to make my own homemade yeast bread...and so the story goes. By the time company which were usually a mix of friends and relatives btw, by the time they got here, I was exhausted, angry, tired and no fun to be around. I would blame my dh for not helping me, and now I look back and go OH MY GOODNESS>>>>>I was a mess.

Little by little, I have worked on this. It was taught in part to me by my mom, but she had sisters and whenever she had big get togethers, they all would work together. I don't know why I thought I had to have such big dinners and do it all by myself.

This past weekend is an example of how I have changed. We have eaten outside for the past three days. I cooked on the grill. Hotdogs one evening, hambugers the next and steak last night. The big difference is I did not think we needed a lot of extras to have a good meal, and we ate on paper plates, except for last night. Not a lot of fuss, but a lot of warmth, togetherness and talk and sharing of family, oh how lovely it was.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
After much contemplation, I'm not sure I fit either -- and that's an unfortunate confession.

Mary spent time at her Savior's feet in pure adoration and worship.

Martha busied herself getting everything done and serving.

I think we need to be both. If we spend more time in the Word, in worship, in praise, we'll certainly be filled more with the Holy Spirit, gain knowledge and love for God and our fellowman. This is the Mary side of us.

On the Martha side, we shouldn't let our faith just sit and do nothing. We should serve others -- our family, our neighbors, our church, our country, our world. There is something good that all of us can do to show the Christ in us.

And as I've thought of this, I've not done either as well as I should. Since I'm no longer working outside my home, I have plenty of time to be at His feet as well as time to serve. I'm afraid both are lacking to a great extent. That's something that I'm praying about now and believing that God will show me how He wants me to spend more of my time.

Thank you for being God's messenger aiangel_writer!

Go here for some inspiration if you need it (speakers on): Mary or Martha?

Old 05-29-2007, 11:40 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
LOL!! Girls I believe we are all clones of Martha Maybe we are meant to be Marys when we are older and have more time to sit at the Lords feet and learn from his teachings so we can pass them on to the younger Martha who is busy raising the kids, tending family affairs and only has occasion to be a true MaryAt my age (65) I would consider myself a split personality, because I still have plenty of Martha , but more time to be Mary

Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
LOL!! Girls I believe we are all clones of Martha Maybe we are meant to be Marys when we are older and have more time to sit at the Lords feet and learn from his teachings so we can pass them on to the younger Martha who is busy raising the kids, tending family affairs and only has occasion to be a true MaryAt my age (65) I would consider myself a split personality, because I still have plenty of Martha , but more time to be Mary
When this thought first came to me, and I decided to do this poll, it never occured to me that we would find we are a combination of both. Duh to me. I totally agree with you ladies, and have learned something here.

Blue, you brought up a great point, maybe we all start out as Marthas and evolve towards Marys. What a great concept and so true.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:32 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Default Mary AND Martha

Both- at the same time!

If Jesus were coming to dinner, you can bet I would be concerned about the preparations and all. So here, clearly, I would be Martha ...and I'd probably also be hacked at Mary for not helping Sorry to say, but that's true!

But on the other hand, I am a woman who has always cared more about spiritual things than the more mundane if that makes any sense. So in that sense, I think I am a Mary.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I think we all "multitask" don't we?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:39 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think we all "multitask" don't we?
Of course, we're women we can do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality